IoB Host - 1st Game

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
NiallCampbell

IoB Host - 1st Game

#1 Post by NiallCampbell »

Hi everyone - I'm hoping to try out AoS over the next few days, anyone tried Althran Stormrider's Host?
I have it all painted up so seems sensible to try that. Not got the starter set yet so thought I'd give my old Elves a go. It's either that or the Skaven!

PS Apologies if this is a stupid question but where do I find the details for the spells my Mage can cast? Can't spot details in the app warscrolls!

Edit: Ok found the spells on last pages of rules ;)
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
aquietfrog

Re: IoB Host - 1st Game

#2 Post by aquietfrog »

If you're sticking with only the models from a single IoB box, I found that it's a fairly decent army, albeit a bit lacking in staying power.

The griffon prince becomes fairly tanky as long as you can keep the mage near enough for the bonus save rerolls.

the reavers have great maneuverability and shooting, so try and keep them out of combat.

the swordmasters are your main source of combat strength.

the seaguard are your jack-of-all trades.
Original Dragon Prince

Re: IoB Host - 1st Game

#3 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

I've used it several times with success. It covers most of your bases in a small sized game. When playing larger games, it's definitely worth expanding the unit sizes, and then adding support that compliments the formation. A Sea Helm with a Sea Drake Pennant is a great addition, put him in the middle of the sword masters and keep your sea guard within 16" so you have at least two units benefitting from the totem buff. A Loremaster works well as a back up wizard who can also buff your Griffon Prince should your Mage die early in the battle. Another thing you're definitely going to need is something else that does more than one damage per wound. A Frostheart Phoenix helps defend your precious sword masters and can kill one Stormcast Eternal per wound from its talons.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.