Wamphyri101's Gloomspite Gitz - YEAR OF THE SQUIG!

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Wamphyri101's Gloomspite Gitz - YEAR OF THE SQUIG!

#61 Post by SpellArcher »

That huge white Troll is very striking.
wamphyri101

#62 Post by wamphyri101 »

That is a Marshcrawler Sloggoth from Kruelboyz.

Hes an amazing buff piece that gives all allies wholly within 18 +1 to hit.

He is also Nicknamed "Dobbie" by the AOS community as he looks like if Dobbie from Harry Potter went on Meth
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#63 Post by SpellArcher »

wamphyri101 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:08 am Hes an amazing buff piece that gives all allies wholly within 18 +1 to hit.
He gives me the willies.
wamphyri101 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:08 am He is also Nicknamed "Dobbie" by the AOS community as he looks like if Dobbie from Harry Potter went on Meth
They're not wrong.
wamphyri101

#64 Post by wamphyri101 »

So went 3-2 at LVO but was with the worst army in the game lol

I did get to meet Duncan "Two thing coats" which was great as I got into the painting last 20 so he inspected my army. great moment since I never feel my stuff is great

However, the new gitz book comes out this weekend and its BALLER!

Such a good book. Very excited to get going on my Squiggles
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#65 Post by SpellArcher »

wamphyri101 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:25 pm I did get to meet Duncan "Two thing coats" which was great as I got into the painting last 20 so he inspected my army. great moment since I never feel my stuff is great
=D>
wamphyri101 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:25 pm However, the new gitz book comes out this weekend and its BALLER!
Lord Anathir wrote:Go for maximum damage!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#66 Post by Prince of Spires »

The squigs look amazing. I just love their chaotic feel. They do look like a bag of skittles gone ferral. In a good way of course. I wouldn't even know where to begin if I saw that bouncing mass across the table :)

More pictures is always good!
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
wamphyri101

#67 Post by wamphyri101 »

Got my 1st game with Gitz last night vs another Gitz player and it was a lot of fun.

Rough lists not full

His:
Kings gitz
Skragrott
fungoid
Madcap
Loonboss
Loonboss on Squig
10 Boingrots
5 Boingrots
40 Stabbas
40 Shootas
5 Sporesplatterz
Gobopoluza

Mine:
Jaws of mork
Skragrott
Fungoid
2 Squigboss
loonboss with squig
4 x 24 Squigs
2 x 6 Sneaky Snuflers
Gobopoluza
Dobbie (Marshcrawla sloggoth)

Fun moment: His Skragrott cast Ravanaks and got 13, flew over and targeted my Skragrott. Would have taken 7MW but he rolled the 1. He then tried to sig spell him and got a 10, and I dispelled with an 11. His next turn he did get both off onto Skragrott and killed him. (Mine was the proxied one so its only fair his was the dominant)

The game ended 22 vs 17 to the squigs and both got grand strat (his was keep his shrine alive/my troops away and mine was general in light of badmoon for 3 turns)

Things of note:

Damn squigs can move fast when you want them to. They can also pack a ton of attacks/damage output, however as soon as you don’t have the dobbie then -1 to hits become a pain. Last 3 turns I was on 5’s to hit most combats but having 5 attacks per squig. Also, I feel you need a battleshock triumph. Twice in the game having one pinned the enemy in place so I could counter charge.

The MW on flee is also pretty deadly, taking out the sporesplatterz in one shot with 6 fleeing.

Gobopoluza and Snufflers are great supports. I was totally surprised by the snufflers new combat profile isnnt terrible and actually tanked and killed 3 boingrots.

The -1 to hit bubble from Gobo is great when supporting squigs with no grots w nets.

The Stabba and Shooter blocks were pretty good. -1 to hit the whole unit, capping obj at 9 and double shots w MW/Rend all came into play and was decent. I just prefer my squiggles.

Skragrott was great support. The free cp was great and just his general magic support and moon bubble was good.

My loonboss w squig did nothing. He is there for the battleshock reason but keeping him within 3 was tough since the squigs have such a range of movement. I think I am going to drop him for Scuttletide and then keep the points towards a triumph

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#68 Post by SpellArcher »

wamphyri101 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:38 pm The game ended 22 vs 17 to the squigs
Congrats! Your opponent clearly needs more squigs.
wamphyri101

#69 Post by wamphyri101 »

So managed two more games at the weekend. 1st vs Stormcast and 2nd vs Skaven (one of the top players in BC/Team Canada)

Got a solid 28vs17 win vs Stormcast as he conceded turn 3 as he couldn't score any more tactics, and got a solid draw vs the skaven. Coulda got the win but made the mistake with a tactic turn 2 (forgot to say I was using Skragrotts special ability to move the moon then rolled low) but thats ok good learning point

Love how the army plays but has weaknesses, like battleshocks.

also found I dont:

1: Need the moonface mommet. its a great item but counter productive to my style with Squigs new movement
2: Need Dobbie. he is great, dont get me wrong. But the bubble is wholly within 18 and I cant stick to that, plus vs a good player they just kill him turn 1 or 2 and then im playing down that ability of +1 to hit
3: have too much cp. I cant spend it on half my army and since I dont needthe 2nd artifact I am just going to take 2 battle regiments for the 1st time ever lol. Usually i try to max out free stuff from batallions but my squigs just cant use any of the bonuses.

I am still going to try and get the free triumph with lower points

Interesting items:

Snufflers are great. I haddn't noticed the combat profile change and they can actually do work now! its surprising from such a small buff unit

I added a trogboss over the fungoid and make him my general. Gives me a solid combat hero which I can buff and with his ability to take a free endless spell as a command trait hes pretty cheap (hes 200pts but I took the Mushroom endless spell for free which is 100pts lol)

So going to test him out this week. Also changed the unit sizes on squigs from 4x24 to 1x36, 2x24 and a 12. Gives me a sit back unit for rear objs and an alpha unit I can buff and throw forwards to hold enemy up

Anyway, here is some pics from the games

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#70 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like how you're always analyzing your own play and never blame losing on being unlucky or the other guy doing something weird. I think looking for what went wrong and being honest about it is the only way you can really improve. as a player.
wamphyri101 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:36 pm Image
Just imagine you're one of those 5 soldiers and there is this endless mass of brightly colored, bouncing madness filled with teeth charging at you... That's a terrifying sight if I've ever seen one.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
wamphyri101

#71 Post by wamphyri101 »

Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:14 pm I like how you're always analyzing your own play and never blame losing on being unlucky or the other guy doing something weird. I think looking for what went wrong and being honest about it is the only way you can really improve. as a player.
wamphyri101 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:36 pm Image
Just imagine you're one of those 5 soldiers and there is this endless mass of brightly colored, bouncing madness filled with teeth charging at you... That's a terrifying sight if I've ever seen one.
I feel for sigmars chosen as I would be like "fuck that have you seen what's coming at us"

I try to, often after a game I will reflect on what were errors I made. Sometimes you dont realize till its too late lol. Dice can be a big factor but you can also mitigate how much of a disaster bad dice can actually be with some good redundancy planning lol
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#72 Post by SpellArcher »

That first pic, of the whole battlefield, is especially nice.
wamphyri101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:37 pm Dice can be a big factor but you can also mitigate how much of a disaster bad dice can actually be with some good redundancy planning lol
José Raul Capablanca wrote:A good player is always lucky.
At least to some extent!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#73 Post by Prince of Spires »

wamphyri101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:37 pm I feel for sigmars chosen as I would be like "fuck that have you seen what's coming at us"
Indeed. There are heroic last stands and then there's that...
SpellArcher wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:57 pm
wamphyri101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:37 pm Dice can be a big factor but you can also mitigate how much of a disaster bad dice can actually be with some good redundancy planning lol
José Raul Capablanca wrote:A good player is always lucky.
At least to some extent!
Often luck is preparation meeting opportunity. Yes of course, sometimes you will roll that insane courage which will keep your unit in play long after it should have been gone. That can be truly lucky. But I've had many situations which could be considered lucky, except that I set it up so that the bad luck situation would still offer a decent outcome, while the good luck situation would offer great opportunities. It's recognizing that and capitalizing on the good luck. If you don't use your luck then it will simply be a fun quote after the game. If you do use a lucky situation, then it can be game changing.
wamphyri101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:37 pm I try to, often after a game I will reflect on what were errors I made. Sometimes you dont realize till its too late lol. Dice can be a big factor but you can also mitigate how much of a disaster bad dice can actually be with some good redundancy planning lol
It's what many players fail to do. Complaining about how the dice were unfair and the opponents list is simply too strong is much easier than accepting you did something wrong.

Check out my plog

wamphyri101

#74 Post by wamphyri101 »

So back from Sparkle Party Death Match

I went 4-1 at my 1st run out with the new gitz. I only lost to the Jeremy V who won the event and is part of team USA

Tbh if I would have got the last W on his vampire lord turn 1 it would have been a different game lol

The list worked well, 36 squigs buffed is nuts, but I feel I might have too many buff units that half of which after turn 1 are not really needed, so need to review my list as I need some throw up flank units

3 of my games were over turn 2 pretty much. Either the game was obviously mine or they conceeded. The one I lost was doing ok till turn 3 then things kinda fell apart

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#75 Post by SpellArcher »

wamphyri101 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm So back from Sparkle Party Death Match
The real world must seem dull and grey in comparison!
wamphyri101 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm I went 4-1 at my 1st run out with the new gitz. I only lost to the Jeremy V who won the event and is part of team USA
Solid showing.

=D>
wamphyri101 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm Tbh if I would have got the last W on his vampire lord turn 1 it would have been a different game lol
At first I thought he was a Tyranid!
wamphyri101 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm The one I lost was doing ok till turn 3 then things kinda fell apart
Battle looks fantastic though.
wamphyri101

#76 Post by wamphyri101 »

Been quiet since sparkle party, Ops. Work just been busy and havent had a ton of games as I was prepping and running my 1st AOS tournament (32 people) on Easter weekend. Was a great event and loads of pics on @chumphammer twitter

The battlescroll came out a few weeks ago and it hit the points of gitz a bit. Some were fair but some were far too much, so now I have had to change how to view the list.

My Main issue with the change is the Squigboss. he went up 20pts (80 to 100) which is a shame since he is a 4 wond character with a 6+ save, no ward or bodyguard. he is just far too squishy and in the game I played last night would have just been dead turn 1. Its annoying as he is a great support, but if hes dead turn 1 its pointless

Last night tried more of a soup list vs Sylverneth and her Royal Thighness herself (Alarielle)

Managed to get a win on the bottom of 3 but thats mainly due to playing defensive rather than running in, and his heroes kinda not doing too much turn 2 and 3 (they had a solid turn 1 which had me worried)

wamphyri101

#77 Post by wamphyri101 »

Manage to get myself back on track with games (trying for 2 a week) on Sunday with a game vs new Blades of Khorne

They can slap pretty hard and they have a 5+ immunity to spells which gives them a summon point...so over the game I think I gave him around 20 summon points as he kept passing the bloody 5+

Still managed to win through as a screne mistake on his behalf left his Blood Thirster chargable from buffed Squigs and a prayer fail on his end let my Troggs wipe a unit of his Blood Warriors. Game ended 27vs15

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#78 Post by SpellArcher »

wamphyri101 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:54 pm I was prepping and running my 1st AOS tournament (32 people) on Easter weekend.
Congratulations!
wamphyri101 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:54 pm The battlescroll came out a few weeks ago and it hit the points of gitz a bit.
So power level of the army has taken a hit?
wamphyri101 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:54 pm left his Blood Thirster chargable from buffed Squigs
Something ignominious about this.

Have to say, all the pics look really nice!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#79 Post by Prince of Spires »

The armies and the terrain looks amazing. Are they your own 3D printed buildings?

I love how the wave of madness that is your squigs flows across the battlefield.

The changes to the army sound harsh. A 25% points increase is no joke. It also makes a squishy character an obvious target. And somehow playing defensive doesn't match my image of what a squig army should do on the battlefield... ;)

Check out my plog

wamphyri101

#80 Post by wamphyri101 »

Army power level: Yeah a slight hit, its still a strong armie but there are some great counter armies to Gitz atm they are just not seen as often. Also theres been 7 books in the last 3 months with the last coming out this weekend (Seraphon - Lizardmen)

Yeah the houses are mine. Hagglethorn Hollow 3D range and just painted by me and my GF. They are just PLA printed. Doing a winter board atm then gotta start on my Mushroom board