2000 Points Tomb Kings vs High Elves

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

CorinthianHelm

2000 Points Tomb Kings vs High Elves

#1 Post by CorinthianHelm »

Hi all! Here's a game of me as Tomb Kings versus another discord member's High elves. The tomb kings are a little different here, as a member of the discord has worked to make them better. The biggest changes that affect this army list are that any unit affected by one of Khatep's augments gains a 5++ regeneration, Nehekharan spells have become cheaper, and Tomb Guard can wield shields and halberds at the same time. And of course the End Times Errata about marching with the general was included. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19LW ... DTVLc/edit
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2000 Points Tomb Kings vs High Elves

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for this CorinthianHelm!

Looking at the lists, normally TK's might bring in some Death or Light magic but with improved Khatep and the Casket there's probably no need. There's an argument for taking more Archers instead of Spears, I have a soft spot for chariots myself. Dragon Princes are strong against Tomb Kings, I'd have expected them to bring Banner of the World Dragon as well, was this omitted to keep the lists more friendly? There's an argument for taking fewer, larger units of High Elf elite infantry.

At first I thought the diagonal deployments favoured the High Elves due to their speed but I guess the new Marching rule mitigates that. I'd have been tempted to deploy the Archmage in the Spears, Shadow has good range and he'd have led a less fraught life there.

If I had to fault the High Elf tactics, I'd have tried to work one of the elite units around the flank of the Tomb Guard, I guess the terrain restricted this somewhat? (Edit, missed that the PG actually achieved this! Didn't seem to help them much though.) The Winds of Magic seemed to consistently favour the TK's but with the Casket and beefed-up Khatep they looked strong here already. The buffed Tomb Guard just seemed to shrug off all the charges and grind the High Elves out.
MasterOfNone

#3 Post by MasterOfNone »

Very nice graphics!
How did you make them, and is it actually from a game played online or on a real, physical table?
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
CorinthianHelm

#4 Post by CorinthianHelm »

I'd have expected them to bring Banner of the World Dragon as well, was this omitted to keep the lists more friendly?
Yeah, there's an understanding that most of us are out to have fun on the Discord, so things like white lion blobs, BOTWD, or death magic are understood to be default nos, unless you discuss it with your opponent before hand.
Very nice graphics!
How did you make them, and is it actually from a game played online or on a real, physical table?
We were playing on Tabletop Simulator, so I just screenshot what was going on when it was appropriate. For my Tomb King army, I used this workshop item (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2365717092)

As for the High Elves, I believe my opponent used this workshop item (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2283042079), which contains models for High elves, along with Lizardmen, empire, dwarfs, vampire counts, dark elves, and greenskins. It also has a table and dice roller. He's actually the creator of that one as well.
MasterOfNone

#5 Post by MasterOfNone »

CorinthianHelm wrote: We were playing on Tabletop Simulator, so I just screenshot what was going on when it was appropriate. For my Tomb King army, I used this workshop item (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2365717092)

As for the High Elves, I believe my opponent used this workshop item (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2283042079), which contains models for High elves, along with Lizardmen, empire, dwarfs, vampire counts, dark elves, and greenskins. It also has a table and dice roller. He's actually the creator of that one as well.
Very interesting, how does one play - I mean the mechanics of the software, if one needs an account, if it is pay/free...
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
CorinthianHelm

#6 Post by CorinthianHelm »

Very interesting, how does one play - I mean the mechanics of the software, if one needs an account, if it is pay/free...
You just pay one time for the game on Steam ($19.99 USD), and it goes for sale fairly frequently. For Steam you just need a free account. The models in the game are all individual objects, and you can select them all at the same time by clicking and dragging. From there you can pick them up and move them around. There's a ruler tool for measuring out distances. The workshop items we used are all free additions, as you can play basically any game you can find models/tables for once you buy it. For army building, you gather the models that you want, and save them all as a collection/object that you can load when it's time to play.