[8th] - High Elves vs Dwarfs

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Live_waaaaagh

[8th] - High Elves vs Dwarfs

#1 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Hi all,

A new battle report for this week. This time, Dwarfs face High Elves:

Barak Varr, the lone seaport of the Dwarfs and the home of merchants and traders of all sorts. It is also the home of the sea engineer's guild who build massive iron ships that patrol the waters near the port. Usually, it is well defended from attacks, as the Border Princes protect the area and the hold itself is said to be impenetrable. Today, a High Elf fleet has parked itself by the entrance to The Black Gulf. While still allowing merchant ships in and out of the Gulf and therefore Barak Varr, the Dwarfs didn't take this lightly. They patrol the area and they will not allow a foreign fleet to blockade passage to the port.

King Byrrnoth Grundadrakk has sent his iron ships and a throng down to make sure the Elf fleet moved. As the throng approached, The High Elf army disembarked. Ready for battle.

http://www.livewaaaaagh.com/home/2017/3 ... high-elves
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: [8th] - High Elves vs Dwarfs

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Another great game from the sound of it.
Dwarfs: I need to neutralize the Swordmasters that can cut me into pieces. If I'm able to do that, I like my chances. Luckily, no Purple Sun or Dwellers Below :).
Funnily enough, Final transmutation is better vs dwarves then dwellers below. At least vs the S4 units (which are the main targets I think). S4 only dies to dwellers on a 5+, same as final transmutation. But final transmutation has a lower casting cost and a higher range, which makes it an overall better spell. The stupidity test is just a nice bonus (though I doubt it will come into play a lot).

A bit unlucky with some of the charges. You don't want to get stuck in short range of dwarven shooting any longer then you have to. On the other hand, having a single reaver survive for an extra turn is a great bonus.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Funnily enough, Final transmutation is better vs dwarves then dwellers below.
Interesting Rod. The primary threat of Dwellers is to characters and FT just isn't as good against those. Though both are obviously dangerous to units too. However:
Prince of Spires wrote:You don't want to get stuck in short range of dwarven shooting any longer then you have to.
This is key. Obviously cannon and stone throwers are an issue at range but Dwarf killing ground is 30" or less, when you consider Organ Guns, Quarrellers, Irondrakes etc.. I played a game against them yesterday with my Infantry blocks effectively pinned back, out of the 24" range of Fiery Convocation (and Dwellers). FT has a 36" range. Obviously it's harder to keep your distance on a small table.
Live_waaaaagh

#4 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Thank you both for the comments!

You're right, the key is that 30'' and under, or even I'f say 18'' and under (iron drakes, short range on Organ Gun (15)). And those 2 failed charges doomed the High Elves on that game. Had those 2 charges been made, or even if the lone Reaver would have made the OG charge, it might have been a different game.

Will try high magic next. We wanted to purposely try some "other" mores besides for example Death with Purple Sun. But that might need come into play at one of our upcoming games.
RE.Lee

#5 Post by RE.Lee »

Another great report. Too bad the High Elves didn't make it but Organ Gun salvos are simply devastating. Not making those early charges was key here, afterwards you just didn't have the numbers to make a grind work.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Live_waaaaagh

#6 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

100% correct RE Lee. The failed charges hurt. Once we have more units and models, then it'll be different.

The lists were also different: The dwarf was particularly strong (I've used variations of it at tournaments) while the high elf list is thematic in nature and is still missing some key units.

A fun game regardless for us.

More to come next week, though no High Elves, I'm afraid. Instead the hippie cousins make an appearance.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

Live_waaaaagh wrote: More to come next week, though no High Elves, I'm afraid. Instead the hippie cousins make an appearance.
I'm still looking forward to the report, so let us know how it went :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.