Xorns first Tournament! Doubles 1000pt/player format

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Xorn

Xorns first Tournament! Doubles 1000pt/player format

#1 Post by Xorn »

So, I'm sure you were all waiting on bated breath to find out how the last 8th tournament for my local Warhammer store went. I can assure you that it was a very fun night, if somewhat chaotic. I was new blood there, just as much as I am here, and was subject to getting paired with the other new blood; the Bretonnian player from last report. His grasp of the rules were more tenuous than mine, and he had a tendency to be more focused on pretty miniatures on other tables than on the totally-100%-not-for-fun-serious battle in front of him. Result, the two newest players in WHFB 8th paired together versus a variety of players; one of whom had international experience if I was reading the trash-talking correctly, which I should do as I nearly have a phD in it.

Rules for the tournament were;
  • End Times army building rules (completely different to how I thought it was going to be)
    1000 pts per player
    Players can sign up as a pair or as singles and get paired on the night
    All armies are counted as allies to make random pairs fairer
    Pitched Battle scenarios, no repeats
    4x4 board with preset terrain (we were lucky and didn't move between games, so terrain won't change between battles)
    1 hour 30 mins per battle, including set-up. Gotta keep things somewhat short.
I'll give you my list, what my ally brought along. I'll reference them again in each of the reports, but this will give you imagination fuel for the coming reports. I am also going to do some very approximate lists for my opponents, as no lists were ever exchanged. My run to an internet cafe for print-offs was in vain!

My 1000pt HE List
+ Heroes (155pts) +

Mage (155pts) [Lore of Life, Wizard Level 2]
····Magic Items [AB - Golden Crown of Atrazar, AB - Khaine's Ring of Fury]

+ Core (258pts) +

Lothern Sea Guard (258pts) [Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer]
····19x Sea Guard [19x Shields]

+ Special (391pts) +

Phoenix Guard (300pts) [Champion, Musician, 15x Phoenix Guard]
····Standard Bearer [BRB - Razor Standard]

Sword Masters of Hoeth (91pts) [7x Sword Master]

+ Rare (195pts) +

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Great Eagle (55pts)
····Great Eagle [Shredding Talons]

Ally 1000pt Bret List
+ Heroes (300pts) +

Damsel of the Lady (105pts) [Bretonnian Warhorse, Lore of Beasts, Wizard Level 1]
····Magic Items [BRB - Dispel Scroll]

Paladin (Army Battle Standard Bearer) (195pts) [Barded Bretonnian Warhorse, Grail Vow]
····Battle Standard Bearer [AB - Banner of the Lady (on Foot or on Brettonian Warhorse only)]

+ Core (440pts) +

Knights of the Realm (192pts) [Champion, 7x Knight of the Realm, Musician, Standard Bearer]

Men-at-arms (127pts) [Champion, 20x Man-at-arms, Musician, Pole-arm, Standard Bearer]

Peasant Bowmen (121pts) [Braziers, Champion, Musician, 16x Peasant Bowman, Standard Bearer]

+ Rare (248pts) +

Grail Knights (248pts) [6x Grail Knight, Standard Bearer]

All in all a fairly balanced force I felt at the time, lots of infantry to soak spooky-scary enemies, and a few powerful lance formations of Bretonnian knights to finish what the infantry started and take all the glory. Not that I wanted glory anyways, stupid knights.

As for our opponents, I am going to give a very rough guess now, and go further into it later. For now though, I don't have the resources to hand to find out what is likely to have shafted my poor elves.... I mean gave us a good game.

Pitched Battle - Blood and Glory
GAME 1 Enemy 'List'
Player 1 - Undead
  • Nagash - Yup. That is it. He also brought along 4,000 points of undead to summon, so was ready for just about everything.
Player 2 - Empire
  • 2 x Engineer
    2 x Great Cannons
    1 x Hellblaster
    12 x Handgunners
    1 x General with magic BSB & hochland rifle
    1 x Steam Tank
Pitched Battle - Battle Line
GAME 2 Enemy 'List'
Player 1 - Empire
  • 1 x Engineer with hochland rifle
    1 x Great Cannon
    1 x General on horse, 1+ armour save and a 4+ ward save. He was fun...
    1 x Mage Level 2, Beasts, on horse as well
    10 x Knights of 'I'mNotSureButTheySureHurt'
Player 2 - Chaos/Skaven
  • 1 x Chaos Lord on Chariot with GoreBeast
    1 x Chaos Mage on Chariot with GoreBeast
    1 x Hell Pit Abomination
    2 x Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon
Pitched Battle - Dawn Attack
GAME 3 Enemy 'List'
Player 1 - High Elf(yay)
  • 1 x Level 2 Mage, High Magic Dispell Scroll
    14 x Phoenix Guard
    14 x White Lions
    1 x Frost Phoenix
Player 2 - Undead/Dwarf(ewwwww)
  • 1 x Warpfire Dragon (sweet destructive Khaine, this was unexpected)
    10 x Dwarf IronDrakes
    1 x Dwarf Cannon
    1 x Dwarf Thane (I think, they all look the same to me. Runty and hairy like a vole; only dumber)
I will say, I didn't take any pictures of the games/people. My mistake. I went in intending to, but ot lost in all the hub-bub of moving men around and watching little plastic dudes skull-F each other. Was a good night :)