HE MSU at Castle Assault - Summary

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hinge

Re: HE MSU at Castle Assault - Game 1 - updated 26.10

#31 Post by Hinge »

Well played SM. I do have a couple comments.

Your opponent expended his harpies to no gain. I think he should have kept them hidden behind his units to dart later and prevent those multiple charges. On the other hand, I think you used your chaff well. I think this was the difference in the game.

Shadow Warriors. I think there was an opportunity for them to pop out of the building on Turn 5 and…well shadow that Beastmen unit. Hard to tell, but then maybe they could have gotten in front of that beastmen unit on the final turn. Without a doubt it would have been tight on the movement. I see one of the roles of Shadow Warriors is to be a third Eagle.

Formations. Like you I have been experimenting a lot with formations. I have gone back to forming those units with multiple attacks (DP and SM) into wider formations while keeping White Lions and Silver Helms in more narrow formations. This seems to be working well most of the time.

Looking forward to game 2.

Hinge
[size=150][url=http://hingehammer.blogspot.com]Hinge Hammer Blog[/url][/size]

[url=http://www.rqgpodcast.com/]Rage Quit Gaming[/url]
Tiny

#32 Post by Tiny »

Thank you SM for the Report! Very well played indeed! :D
That was close!
Not really... You might had lost some more points (surely sad), but the game (as well as the extra points) were very save on your side.

I had the impression beastmen (in particular in turn 3) did play it to passively and should had better tried for a push forward. What do you think?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62143]Tinys Paint-box[/url]
HE: ~10.000 Points
O&G:~5.000 Points
DoC: ~5.000 Points
Shining wolf

#33 Post by Shining wolf »

If you don't mind i'd like to ask you something :
Why did you moved ellyrian reavers to the left flank of the chariot on turn 1 ? Were you actually thinking about charging it ?
What happened exactly on his turn 2 to his harpies ? They charged reavers and were sweeped ? Was it good luck , was he expecting something different or did i miss some tactical advantage ?
You began your report saying you found your army too static , was this game an exception ? Shooting was brutal and you managed to outmanouvre your opponent quite well , basically destroyig him .
How were shadow warriors in this particular match ? Did they do something or they just dodged every combat staying out of the line of sight of the enemy ?
Congratulations about the first game , elven performed awesome and your tactic was astonishingly flawless , now i'm really teased about the others , in particular about both the civil war and the old war against lizardmen ( ooops sorry )
Thank you for the work you're doig
Last edited by Shining wolf on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#34 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for comments!

@ LA

I see. I don't know the guy but if I am at CanCon I will try to find him. Good to know the miniatures go to good home.

@ Hinge

Thanks!

Yes, I think Jonathon exposed them too early and unsupported. Even when he had to deploy them on the flank, with flying movement they could re-deploy easily and as you say be a problem later in the game. It seems to me that a stationary war machine is some kind of magnet for these troops and they will always try to get there, no matter if the machine is a real threat.

You are spot on with Shadow Warriors. I used them as a distraction and potential block, counter charge against harpies but failed to used them turns 5 and 6. They are very versatile with their skirmisher mode and it takes some practice to use them well. I know I need it :)

I like the ability to use different formations through the game. That is why I need these musicians. While I agree to the general principle you have just described, sometimes it might be good to form units in a more narrow way to allow for assassination missions. But at the same time, one should keep some with 1+ rank to prevent the enemy from being steadfast.

@ Tiny

Thanks!

Well, I guess having more standards was helping me here as Jonathon had no means of stopping me to achieve the scenario goals at later stage of the game. But it was close from losing 600+ points due to Loremaster and his units that would have meant dramatic swing in points. I could have still won but it would be a closer game for sure! So I try to take that into account. :)

I understand the hesitation as if Jonathon pushed forward he would have exposed the flank and I would have immediately charged with heavy cavalry against Bestigors. On the other flank he could not advance faster with chariots as they cannot march.

In general pushing hard on a flank works against my units but this time they were in opposite corners so the distance was larger. Also, pivoting works better for me. Maybe the chariots should have been deployed closer to the center and harpies used as living shield instead?

@ Shining wolf

Thanks a lot for very interesting questions!

Yes, I wanted to have that option to charge the chariot and I considered it turn 2 when it was already wounded. However, as Sisters had no better target and I could still trap it with Lions I decided to wait and shoot and have a chance to charge the following turn.

I think I got one with s&s and then killed them all in combat that was a little lucky but possible. They had some attacks back but failed with them and I think the last one was killed by a horsie.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact I can combine movement, shooting, magic and combat to win games. It is just more fun to play in every phase of the game. This game is not really an exception but I had more space to maneuver for sure. In my other games I might move less but what I really mean is that I became more re-active and defensive with this list. In particular against some faster or combat orientated enemies, when I can still play a good game by moving more aggressively and faster than them.

Shadow warriors added to the shooting. Their BS5 is very god especially against skirmishers. So that is a bonus. I haven't used them to the fullest, as I have explained to Hinge, so they seem to be doing nothing important. But they were there to distract and I wish I used that opportunity to jump out and divert the enemy.

I am very glad you rate my performance so high :) As to other games I will tell the story in due time and let's try not to reveal too much before that happens :) Of course, I can answer more questions before I report about particular game but I will do that via PM so that there are not too many spoilers! Give me a shout if you want!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#35 Post by Galharen »

Done like a "das Wolfsrudel", which is a "wolfpack" U-Boot germans tactic from WWII :wink:
I really like how you precisely and patiently planned all moves and prepared the last massive charges. Inspiring.

We played yesterday a great tournament too, I'm writing a short summarise too now;)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#36 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Galharen!

Thanks! Although I get more inspiration from Mongols and their swarming I am really glad you liked the game nevertheless. What I think it shows nicely is that against some opponents our elites are as deadly as before even without re-rolls since they still hit on 3+. In fact, I am currently trying to modify my army list to add more Swordmasters because of that! :)

I am looking forward to reading your reports too!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#37 Post by Galharen »

We had yesterday also a deadly contest, my 25 WL vs 21 Phoenix Guard with Razor Banner.
And well, I need to paint phoenix guards... :) Very efficient vs lot T, low save infantry because of high WS, rerolls and fear.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#38 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Haha, yes, these "deadly" contests, better known as pillow fights, can be quite interesting. :) But yes, PG have gained some good abilities now. No wonder you want them in your army. The good thing is that with your skills they will look magnificent!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#39 Post by Galharen »

Have you ever considered using them in your msu?
Clockwork

#40 Post by Clockwork »

Its games like this which really inspire me to play MSU! Particularly the thin blue line in turn 3, and the overwhelming multi-charges in turns 5 or 6.
Stormie

#41 Post by Stormie »

Good game, nice win! Really fits into the Elven mythos of a few exceptional warriors taking on vast barbarous hordes and winning, with fine Ellyrian cavalry sweeping into the rear at the opportune moment.

I expect the idea with the Harpies might've been to hope for a wildform, then the Reavers would have probably just about lost the combat. But instead, suicide! Against the deadly thin lines of Elven troops they really needed to be diverting 2 units at a time for their sacrifice.
Jimmy
Centurion

#42 Post by Jimmy »

Hey SM

Thanks for the first report. Another great showcase of the MSU army and the ability not to cower against such a powerful army of Beasts and also to know that Johnno is a great player as well.

Well done.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#43 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks for comments, guys! As always very much appreciated!

@ Galharen

PG was suggested to me but at the moment I don't quite see them in my army. It seems to me they are awesome in more traditional builds, with bigger unit and associated characters. Do you see place for them? If yes, what would you take away to make room for them?

@ Clockwork

Thanks a lot for kind words! I am very happy to hear my games can be an inspiration. :)

@ Stormie

Thanks! It is indeed rewarding when you can pull out some maneuvers like that in a real game. Having light cavalry at the rear of the enemy troops definitely helped here.

It is quite interesting idea about Wyssan's Wildform cast on harpies. Jonathon didn't attempt to cast it on them, maybe it was a mistake. I will try to remember that, thanks!

@ Jimmy

Thanks, mate! As you already know the QNKnights are all good chaps and it is always a pleasure to play against them!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Hinge

#44 Post by Hinge »

I am experementing with a 15 man unit of PG. My observations that while much more durable, they do not hit hard enough. Swordmasters bring St5 and more attacks while the white lions bring stubborn and ST6. I think it is more important to get in there and smash with MSU

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#45 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge,

Thanks for comment! I have noticed some players like to add Razor Banner for PG. I imagine that successful cast of Wyssan's Wildform would make them a decent combat unit since they gain S5, T4 and are still quite durable thanks to that 4++ ward save. However, even 15 with Razor Banner is already quite expensive and the spell might or might not be in effect. Sounds to me like a little too complicated approach for MSU where I'd rather rely on what is given and treat anything more as a bonus (such as spells).

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#46 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

I really enjoy our discussion just after game 1 but I guess it is time to move things a little bit forward. :)

Game 2 - Battle for the Pass - Lizardmen - Ethan

Game 2 of Castle Assault was Battle for the Pass. The usual rulebook scenario but again, in line with the whole tournament player's pack, with modifications. First of all each player had to bring appropriate objective marker. Something that fits army theme and is either on 40x40mm or 50x50mm base. I decided to use the miniature I have been given by my Secret Santa (thanks a lot again, grntmepower! :)) and she was looking attractive enough to stir even coldblooded Lizardmen so that they wanted to capture her :) We had to place our respective markers in the middle of no man's land and then scatter them. Then we rolled a dice and as I won the roll-off I was to pick what was the primary and what was the secondary objective. I naturally chose my own marker as primary objective! But as you can see on the diagram, both scattered towards my own deployment zone.

To claim an objective a player needed to position a unit (or part of it) in 6" away from the objective. If both players had units close to the marker, then the one with higher static combat result (ranks, banners, bsb, etc.) would claim the objective. 3 battle points were granted for taking Primary objective, 2 for Secondary and points were shared if no one could claim the objective.

Ethan was my opponent this time. We haven't had an opportunity to play before but I can tell you right now that he is a very nice person to play against and it was yet another very pleasant game for me. Thanks a lot, Ethan! =D>

Ethan brought his stalwart Lizardmen. I was very curious about the outcome as I haven't played against new Lizards yet. They were always a tough opponent for me and I had no doubts it would be the case here as well. But then would it be because of their new toys or due to old tricks?

Below is the army list Ethan brought to the game, obviously, with some details lacking as I don't remember all the items :oops:

Lizardmen - Army List

Slann, level 4, BSB, Knows all signature spells
Oldblood on Coldone, Piranha Blade, 1+ armor save (I think)
Scar Veteran on foot
Skink Priest - Lore of Heavens

30 Saurus Warriors, Full Command
30 Saurus Warriors, Full Command
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Cohort
6 Saurus Cavalry
5 Chameleon Skinks
5 Chameleon Skinks
Bastiladon (bound spell shooty thing)
Stegadon Ancient (lots of blowpipes)

Lizardmen are really tough and even more so in battle for the pass. Their phalanx nicely blocked the passage to the rear. Skinks are very good at hunting eagles and fast troops. Two dinosaurs also are very dangerous to my small units thanks to impact hits and t-stomps. The combination of high toughness and good armor meant it would be hard to beat them too.

Two big infantry blocks were a problem. I thought I have a chance to beat one if I managed to thin it down properly but would have divert the second one away from markers. I simply don't think I would be able to engage both with enough units to win combats. Not to mention that war of attrition is way better for Lizardmen.

Saurus cavalry with Oldblood was very potent and I had to deal with it too. I hoped I could contain them with my own cavalry or at least try to inflict enough casualties to make a difference for later combats. Then last but not least was Slann and his new ability to know all signature spells. I know how powerful it is thanks to running Loremaster but with level 4 it can be even more dangerous!

So, the general plan was:
- focus shooting (if possible) on one saurus block and kill it in close combat
- divert the second one
- use magic to wound dinosaurs and if possible, attack them with high strength unit. Combination should see them killed before they start stomping.

Deployment

The pass is full of troops - no space to maneuver on flanks

Deployment before vanguard

Slann decided to stay with his trustworthy Skinks in the building. Oldblood joined his elite cavalry, while Scar Veteran led one of the Saurus blocks to battle. Skink Priest (who had Iceshard Blizzard spell) was also attending his master Slann.

Loremaster joined his Swordmasters in the front line. BSB led Sae Guard to battle.

Ethan won the roll-off and his army was to move first.

Lizardmen - Turn 1

Coldblooded phalanx rolls forward

Ellyrian Reavers movement indicates vanguard moves

The telepathic order was given by the meditating Slann and his coldblooded minions marched forward across the narrow mountain pass. Sensing the mental presence of his very young counterpart Slann moved one of his crooked fingers and skinks operating the solar engine at the back of Bastiladon directed its deadly beams against Swordmasters protecting their general. In a flash of sun bright light all but one Swordmaster perished.

Outcasts - Turn 1

Attack is the best form of defense - or is it?

HE execute early charges on both flanks

High Elves try to seize the initiative by early charges. On one flank Dragon Princes charge Saurus cavalry but after killing one or two enemies they all die at the blade of the Oldblood. Was Caledorian pride their undoing?

On another flank heavy cavalry didn't reach skinks as they were magically slowed down. However, Shadow Warriors charged enemy skirmishers too and in a short combat they forced skinks to retreat and caught them in hot pursuit.

In the center, elven fire base aimed at one of the Saurus cohorts and quite a few hulking warriors died to accurate arrows.

Lizardmen - Turn 2

White Lions hold the flank

Lizardmen counter attack

Oldblood leads the charge of his mounted warriors against another enemy unit. But this time they face stubborn White Lions and exchange of blows is painful for both sides. Saurus press forward but Lions refuse to give ground.

In the center Sar-Vetern wanted to repeat action of his superior but Swordmasters, who were the target of the attack, withdrew to the safety of the nearby forest.

On the other flank victorious Shadow Warriors are punished by deadly fire from the skink crew from the howdah on top of an ancient stegadon and only a single warrior remains.

Outcasts - Turn 2

Exchange of punches continues

Unexpected turn of events!

The battle starts entering its most decisive stage as combatants furiously exchange punches. White Lions destroy all Saurus cavalry but can't scratch the thick hide of Oldblood who carves a bloody path through Chracians.

Reavers charge Chameleons who flee to safety of their bigger cousins. Dragon Princes spot them and charge them too. Nimble Chameleons avoid them too but panic their own units! Somehow hulking brutes misunderstood the orders and decided to withdraw together with two small units of Chameleons, away from Elves and objectives. Slann was furious. He opened one eye in disbelieve!

As if it was not enough this unexpected turn of events distracted big toad and elven Loremaster managed to get through one of his own deadly spell. Magic projectiles of molten metal hit powerful form of Bastiladon as if it was covered with paper and killed the beast outright! Elves cheered up. One monster down, one to go!

Lizardmen - Turn 3

Last brave Lion keeps fighting till the end!

Lizardmen try another counter attack

Saurus infantry comes to senses but Chameleons, being outside of the influence of Slann keep running away.

Oldblood methodically eliminates Lions but the last warriors still standing holds the standard high and true to he stubborn nature of warriors of Chrace, he fights till the very last breath.

Another Saurus infantry, now depleted, attempts to charge Reavers but fast elven cavalry is not easy to catch.

Outcasts - Turn 3

Both armies start claiming objectives

Glorious cavalry charge!

Elven units in the center pivot to claim the objective and to threaten isolated Saurus Warriors. One of the eagles blocks another infantry unit while Dragon Princes charge Stegadon. They managed to wound the beast and despite some losses it was enough to break it and run it down!

Lizardmen - Turn 4

Lizardmen surround few Elven units

The battle hangs in the balance

Oldblood charges Reavers who hold this time and are all killed for their trouble. The rest of the Lizardmen close in and try to surround elven regiments defending their primary objective.

Outcasts - Turn 4

Elves don't charge yet

Power of the elven archery

Elves decide not to attack yet and bring their firepower to shift the odds into their favor. All bows are aimed at Oldblood. Elven BSB uses his magical potion and his supernatural strength allows him to put two wounds on the warrior-leader of the enemy. Finally, one of the arrows or bolts finds its mark and Saurus Oldblood goes down.

In the meantime, Ellyrian Reavers hunt down one of the Chameleon swarms.

Lizardmen - Turn 5

The battle at its decisive stage

Saurus Warriors charge!

Saurus Warriors charge White Lions in order to break through and to re-unite with their other unit. But again White Lions are there to hold the line for the Elves.

Skink skirmishers move forward too, to block elven archers. However, there are other, more dangerous elven units ready to counter attack.

Outcasts - Turn 5

Deadly elven counter attack

Saurus perish but skinks hold!

Elven leaders lead the attack and together with White Lions they destroy Saurus Warriors. Archers charge skinks and win easily but skins are surprisingly stubborn and don't flee!

Lizardmen - Turn 6

Who knows the mind of the Slann?

Surprisingly Slann himself enters the close combat. His fragile skink bodyguard is depleted by stand and shoot and then destroyed in the hand to hand fight. Slann meets his unexpected end pierced by elven spears.

Scar-Veteran charges on his own from the unit of Saurus and chases off two regiments of Elves. That allows Saurus to close towards the objectives.

Outcasts - Turn 6

Despite bloody battle no one can claim the objectives!

Both armies were bloodied by the vicious combats and now units on both sides stared at each other. It was clear that no further melee will erupt now and both armies disengaged in good order. No one claimed the objectives in the end but it was clear the Elves inflicted far more damage to the enemy.

After-battle thoughts

It was awesome game and once again I would like to thank Ethan for great spirit and a challenging battle. I was not aware until I made the diagrams that it was such a close one! Sure, we exchanged punches and the balance seemed to shift to one side and then to another but now I see how it could have gone either way.

First a very rare situation when Saurus block flees despite the presence of a nearby Slann-BSB. It released the pressure on the center. I still had units to divert that regiment but obviously it made my life easier.

I had some luck with hunting down big monsters. Ethan had a tough decision to make at some stage where I could target his Bastiladon with Searing Doom and Spirit Leech. He decided to let Searing Doom in and I was lucky to get 5 hits which all wounded. The same with Stegadon, where I won combat due to charge only and then managed to run it down. While Ld6 is not great, it is not that bad on 3d6.

I was very pleased with the plan where I decided to shoot one Saurus block so that I could destroy it in combat. It worked well enough! Also, shooting proved very helpful in hunting down Oldblood, otherwise capable of destroying my units all by himself, as was clearly demonstrated.

I am still surprised Ethan decided to charge with Slann. It seems like he handed over lots of victory points. I was so surprised I even forgot to ask what was his plan with that move! :oops:

My mistake was to flee with Dragon Princes and then Lions from scar veteran. I should have fled with cavalry but hold with lions. Sacar veteran had too few attacks to kill them all and I could have prevented Saurus Warriors from getting to the objectives close enough to deny them to me. In the end we had the same amount of CR and no one could claim the extra Battle Points.

Despite that, due to huge point difference and additional comp difference I managed to claim 18-2 victory from the game.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: HE MSU at Castle Assault - Game 2 - deployment

#47 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Not the usual skink spam I've been seeing, should be a good fight.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
athanoes1

#48 Post by athanoes1 »

great first battle!
so close with Larry almost having his arse handed to him!
I do enjoy those challanges that are so well matched and neither can deal a telling blow!

the secodn game looks like It would be very tough......
all those s/t 4 troops....

I predict a bloodbath!
but if you were able to keep your battle line then maybe.... just maybe you can slow down the steamrollers......

look forward to reading it
~Milliardo~

#49 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I like this scenario against everything but a gunline - lots of opportunities for a break-thru and an encirclement. :3
Clockwork

#50 Post by Clockwork »

Those Lizardmen flanks sure are looking weak to me, especially on the right where it wouldn't take too much to get into the Slann. I would have dropped one block of Saurus on a flank to close it off and the combined the Cav and Stegadon, rather than splitting them up to cover the whole board.

Swordmaster, I also think that you missed a trick with the Dragon Princes. All the signature spells are Flaming so theycould be used to screen your other units.
Last edited by Clockwork on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Anathir

#51 Post by Lord Anathir »

swordmaster for battle of the pass you should consider deploying your heavies on one flank like

dp dp

wl wl

sm sm

while msu is normally about surrounding the enemy from all sides, there seems little point in trying to do this in battle of the pass since the other army can easily cover from edge to edge. with a block formation rather then a line you can advance on one side of his line and have options... you can charge frontally with the dp, with your m18 and m10 you can split into a tight line or an engulf on one side of his army, or you can combo charge with 2 units that are in front of each other due to true line of sight, and it lets you flee charges with leets because they go to safety and you have threats behind them. throw in a unit of reavers/ eagle and I think you can manage to get one unit of elites into flanks which is what you need to kill his cav/big blocks.

not sure who wins this. because of ranged elves the lizards will advance, and sw1 will go towards seaguard and sw2 towards sm1 and archers. SA will come down towards the sw1 block and the top skinks hang there and prevent reavers from going around. dp2 will try to get into sauras 1 flank, but SA should intercept them (assuming the skinks scare away the reavers). wl2 and sm2 vs sw1 in a frontal fight I think saurus will win, depending on buffs, but with a scar vet even if the elves kill 15/30 saurus, the return attacks should cripple the elves. on the other flank, hes got the scar vet on a mount, which means he can hang back with the unit and charge out with the hero on the dp, and reserve the cav for the WL on that flank. that saurus block will probably go for your sm2 with loremaster and the big points which are the archers/soa/lsg/general/bsb. Magic might make a big difference. If the slaan starts targetting the wl on his flank with all manner of damage spells (big fireball, big light, maybe metal) and lets the saurus cav win that flank they can and will roll up the archers and the shooting hill. imo slaan is wasted as a loremaster. no juicy spells. Bastilidon moving north and ganging up with the other steg is a move I'd make. he can't let those dp get around and the single steg might get blocked. Elves win this if dp2 get into flank of sw1 or if they get some good spells off when they fight the saurus. Also all that shooting into one saurus block (the north one) to drop them to 20 pre combat should also make a big difference.

I don't like the lizard deploy. With both objectives there, why not put squish both saurus blocks together on the south flank and have his cav/2 stegs/skinks body guard the flank and prevent a 3v1 charge. Both scar vets in the cornerstone saurus unit would boost them further. If slaan lights up whatever elite unit is the most pivotal (one of the ones that would be involved in a combo charge on the corner stone saurus block I think it would be very hard for the elves to stop the lm from swinging down that side and up towards the shooting hill.

will be interesting to see.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#52 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys!

Great to see so many interesting comments before the game starts!

@ Ele

It was! And skink clouds can be annoying even if not that numerous. :)

@ athanoes1

Thanks! Yeap, that was definitely that kind of a challenge. Lucky roll here or there could have changed the situation but it didn't happen and the fight was still heroic enough. :)

Well, there is definitely some action to be witnessed. Units will be obliterated by spells, cavalry will charge gloriously (or not! :)), light units will fight for board control and the battle will find its climax in the final mutual push around both objective markers. How is that for a teaser? :)

@ Milliardo

Yeap, hence the markers I guess. So no army sits in the corner. It was not a problem this time of course. :)

@ Colckwork

These flanks are not that weak as they seem. In particular the one with cavalry and oldblood. You will see :)

I noticed that Ethan wanted to cover the board, however, and I think that helped me as his army is even more dangerous when units are closer. Since the objectives granted so many points it would have been better to play refused flank. Instead, he even positioned chameleons to prevent me from deploying Shadow Warriors behind his back. It didn't mean that the game was easy but I think he would benefit more from more tight formation on principle.

You might be correct on the spells and Dragon Princes although I am not sure the one from Bastiladon counts as flaming. Don't have the book and can't remember that. Anyone?

@ LA

Very good ideas, thanks.

You might be spot on with triple line formation on one flank. Something that might work on other occasions too. My main concern is that they might not support or actively protect weaker centre. But maybe with aggressive approach on the flank it would not be needed. Also, the units can be deployed in staggered formation, with DP's more to the flank and other units closer to the centre. I will definitely think about it as it might be good formation against some shooty armies I think. Thanks!

I cannot comment on your game predictions without revealing too much so you need to be patient and wait a little longer for the report to see what really happened.

I agree on Lizards deployment (although this one is not that bad as due to relative distances saurus blocks are still in good position to claim the objectives) but I disagree on Loremaster ability for Slann. it gives huge variety and with level 4 all the spells are very easy to cast. There is also great redundancy built in that helps Saurus smash the enemy. -1 to hit for the enemy, effective S5 T5 or better, lowering WS or initiative if needed (might be a difference for heroes) etc. Level 4 is a huge difference here.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

jamierk

#53 Post by jamierk »

Ethans list packs just enough skink units to do the damage he needs, before he moves them in as redirectors. He successfully poisoned off alot of my war machines the other day (but not before i had a GT drop a big stone on bulbasaur's head!, oh yes i was playing dwarfs then). Don't underestimate how good those saurus blocks can be (no spoilers for this report though), especially backed up by loremaster slann and a heavens mage.
jamierk

#54 Post by jamierk »

I should say though, his slann bunker is very vulnerable. Fast cav or silverhelms could easily punch through somewhere and go after them.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#55 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi jamierk,

Make no mistake, mate! I have a healthy respect for the saurus phalanx! They are one of the best heavy infantry in the game, even without buffs. That is why I said I could contain one with proper shooting first and counter charge next but not two! :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

jamierk

#56 Post by jamierk »

Worst thing about his list to me, is by the time i've finished focusing everything on one of the two Saurus blocks, the other is in a good position to clean up all my easy to kill stuff. I rarely have an army that can successfully engage both units at once. And with the speed of his cav and skinks he can match my chaff for speed and output. That said i've had good games against Ethan using monster mash lists, as he had no answer to a death archmage on a moondragon with the book. Unfortunately this won't fly (so to speak) in sweedish comp (next tournament is Cancon).
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#57 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

That is often the case! Technically you have tools for the job. You know which unit(s) you want to send against which and what is your ideal solution. But how to deliver the regiments to the target in combat strength? Your opponent will do something to prevent that happening. They will block the regiment, dispel the crucial spell or make hitting with shooting harder.

That is why I prefer discussions about particular games, when the context of the battle is known, when you can see what is terrain and relative deployment. That's why this game is also so interesting and even unpredictable sometimes. And why I always find amusing that discussion of army lists or units in the vacuum is considered as tactics :)

I agree that a flying death archmage can be a good antidote for Ethan's monsters but then ... please be a little more patient and see how it went this time. Although I know you know about the result I still hope the details and the whole report will be worth reading and waiting for.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Clockwork

#58 Post by Clockwork »

The Bastiladon's Solar Engine beam is Flaming, yes.
Hinge

#59 Post by Hinge »

Swordmaster-

As I look at the deployment, I am once again struck by what looks like two combined arms groups. I think I commented once before about this. My interest in WWII draws me to a parallel with a Regimental Combat Team or Kampfgruppen. I think you said before it was not intentional but it seems you deploy this way with some frequency.

So you have two RCT’s on the flanks with a strong fire support base in the center. Your opponent deployed tightly in the center. If he turns towards either flank as a unit, he risks being flanked. He can drive towards the fire base but risks getting enveloped. I think he should have deployed everything on one flank or another and use the board edge to cover one flank while the ancient does so against the second.

I am curious what he is doing with the Cham skinks. They could be deployed forward to deny you some easy vangaud moves or just used as another piece of chaff that can attrite some of your small units.

I have not been impressed with the Basilidaon’s combat power. ST 4 just does not cut it. The Init buff is also of little value this game. This is one I would try and conserve points, hang back, peak out from the building to gain hard cover and stay out of Searing Doom range.

I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Hinge

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#60 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys!

@ Colockwork

Thanks! I need to get that book sooner or later. Know thy enemy or something like that :)

@ Hinge

I hope it is a good thing that I tend to form units into something similar RCT's :) I was talking about it some time ago in my way too long article on MSU and while I don't deploy with this concept in mind all the time I guess unconsciously I try to do that. I think it is because small units need to cooperate to overwhelm bigger enemy. So it feels natural to form them so that there is a bait or redirector in a team, flanking force and hard hitters.

I have also observed that when the enemy tends to deploy in the centre I immediately form the formation for pincer manoeuvre. Due to the reasons you have described.

At the same time I guess I need to expand my repertoire of formations as it seems it is quite predictable. :)

I am not sure why Ethan decided to use one unit of Chameleons to guard his back. I would rather choose skinks skirmishers to do that. Or even ignore the threat and if I deployed Shadow Warriors behind his back I would be at disadvantage. He could easily destroy them with his units and my rangers would be unsupported.

I was very curious about Bastiladon. I actually like this turtle model :) Looks very nice and bulky, perfect for Lizardmen army. I will need you to be a little more patient so I can address your comments with the report on how did it go with Bastiladon. The interesting thing, however, was that Ethan did lower initiative for my troops with Miasma to help his oldblood. Maybe initiative buffs/hexes are not that bad for Lizards army after all.

I am glad to inform the maps are all ready and I will post the report today in the evening. Thanks for your patience, guys, we are almost there with game 2 :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth