My third battle as HE, 1500 points versus Lizardmen

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Scalenex1

My third battle as HE, 1500 points versus Lizardmen

#1 Post by Scalenex1 »

So we played two 1500 point games, each making a Lizardmen and High Elf list. I lost my battle as Lizardmen, perhaps Erron will post it. The one I am posting is the one I played High Elves in.

I had a noble with the armor of Caledor, a Dawn Stone, and great weapon as my general. I had a bsb on a barded elven steed with the Helm of Fortune, shield, heavy armor, Sword of Might, and Potion of Foolhardiness. I had ten archers, 30 spearmen, 15 sword masters, and 21 white lions. All my units had full command. The mounted BSB was tacked on to the side of my spearmen while the general was deployed with my white lions.

My opponent fielded three Saurus characters, an oldblood on foot with additional hand weapon, crown of command, and armor of fortune. He had two Scar Veterans on Cold Ones, one was the BSB. The BSB had a great weapon and standard of discipline. The other Scar Veteran had Armor of Destiny and a great weapon. All three Saurus characters were in a unit of 35 Saurus warriors with full command deployed in a horde formation. He had a unit of four Terradons, two groups of three Kroxigor, and a Salamander hunting pack. Neither of us had any wizards. Not having a magic phase is a nice change of pace and certainly speeds up games.

We used a homebrew Lustria terrain generator I designed a while ago. There were a couple jungles, a dense jungle, a marsh, a river, and a building. The only feature that became a factor was the dense jungle (counts as difficult terrain to all but skirmishers and lone infantry and provides hard cover). The dense jungle also turned out to be an abyssal wood though the fear causing effect didn’t matter.

The Saurus formed his center with a Kroxigor on both sides. His Terradons were on the far left of the board (from my view). The Salamander team was between them and a group of Kroxigors. The Terradons vanguard moved up forward into the dense jungle.

Opposite them on my far left was my white lion chariot a little behind my line and angled between two jungles (so not to have to take a difficult terrain test). Then to their right were my archers in a jungle. To the right of them were my spearmen and bsb. To the right of them were my sword masters, and on my far right were the white lions and my general.

I went first. I advanced all my troops save the archers. My archers fired some useless shots at the terradons who benefited from hard cover. His first turn he dropped rocks on my sword masters and threw some javelins at them killing several, but nobody panicked. The salamander killed a few more sword masters. The Saurus shuffled sideways a bit, the Kroxigor didn’t move.

Second turn the Terradons were in front of my archers who opted to charge them rather than shoot them. The Terradons chose to flee and fled through my white lions who inflicted one wound on them as they passed over. My chariots failed a charge against a unit of Kroxigors and un-wittedly set themselves up for a salamander shot but not being wounded by it. My sword masters did successfully charge the Kroxigor and took two out of three of them out, then got further whittled down by the last Kroxigor. The Terradons were now the way of my white lions intended advance so my spearmen moved ahead of the white lions towards Saurus block. My archers turned towards the Salamander and advanced toward them. The idea was to get the salamander to to shoot over thier heads. Then they fired another useless volley.

On my opponents turn the Terradons rallied for what it was worth and the Salamander backed up towards the table edge then fired on the archers doing minor damage. His unengaged Kroxigor marched forward along the right side of the board. The Saurus didn’t move. The sword masters killed the last Kroxigor they were fighting.

Third turn my white lions and general charged the Terradons, ran them down and reformed so as to not get flanked by the Kroxigors and angle a nice wide frontage (2 ranks of 11) to bash the Saurus they were now facing. My archers charged the Salamander team which was backed up against the table edge and couldn’t flee. The archers passed their dangerous terrain test. That particular close combat saw one archer die and no wounds on the salamander team, a draw.

My opponent’s third turn, the Saurus charged my sword masters. I only had two left so they fled. The Saurus got enough distance to hit spearmen. The spearmen lost combat by a fair margin, my bsb was killed too. The spearmen broke but fled well enough to escape destruction. My unit champion died with an overkill fighting his general in a challenge. The Saurus pursued the spearmen into my lion chariot. My archers killed the Salamander team. The surviving Kroxigor unit turned to face the rear of my white lions.

My fourth turn my white lions charged into rear of the Saurus to back up their chariot riding buddies. My spearmen rallied and sword masters rallied. My rallied troops pointed themselves towards the Saurus. Combat saw the the chariot take some damage, a few white lions die, and many Saurus die. His general issued a challenge which I met with the white lion champion rather than my general. A good portion of his points were from the many overkill points he inflicted (though said champion wounded his oldblood once before dying). I won the combat overall, but the Saurus held fairly easily.

My opponents fourth turn, his Kroxigor got a poor charge roll and failed to reach the white lions. Combat ground on with no challenges being issued. My chariot was slain. The Saurus warriors were ground down, the Saurus characters got a lot of kills. No one broke.

My fifth turn the swordmasters and spearmen entered the fray versus the mighty Saurus block. I killed every Saurus warrior but the standard bearer. I also killed his general. The two Saurus characters were still unscathed, but they broke and as one was the bsb, he died along with the Saurus warrior standard bearer. The remaining Saurus character had swiftstride and got a double six to flee, easily avoiding my few remaining archers and sword masters. My spearmen reformed to face my opponent’s last unit, the other three Kroxigor.

My opponents fifth turn saw another failed Kroxigor charge, very bad luck. His last Scar Veteran failed to rally and fled off the table, more bad luck for him and good luck for me.

My sixth turn my spearmen charged the Kroxigord then lost combat, but held. My opponents sixth turn the Kroxigors won again but the spearmen held. Everything my opponent had save the one Kroxigor unit was dead or fled. I got bonus points for battle standard, his general, and the Saurus standard. The only kill points he had were for my bsb and lion chariot. He got bonus points for the battle standard and spearmen standard. I only had two archers and two sword masters left. My white lions weren’t in much better shape. I only had about ten spearmen left. You don’t get points for units below half strength any more though, so another massacre for the high elves today, this time with me playing them.

I still don't know what HE Core I like. I rarely see archers do signifcant damage with shooting, their kills are usually when they end up charging something which spearmen can do just fine save that I don't see them do much against enemy core unless backed by a noble.
It is said that a gamer dies when his last unpainted model is finished. My immortality is thus assured.
Nithe

Re: My third battle as HE, 1500 points versus Lizardmen

#2 Post by Nithe »

Scalenex1 wrote:I still don't know what HE Core I like. I rarely see archers do signifcant damage with shooting, their kills are usually when they end up charging something which spearmen can do just fine save that I don't see them do much against enemy core unless backed by a noble.

Archers primarily take out low armour save units. I find them very useful if pointed at the right targets. In my last game versus Skaven he had a unit of 6 rat ogres and I killed 3 of them with the archers in one round of shooting.