RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

#1621 Post by RE.Lee »

They will not get a rematch, though.
My cousin in bringing his own Druchii army, so I'm busy mounting a defense. I already had an army, now I also have a general :wink:

cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1622 Post by SpellArcher »

He’s awesome!

=D>
CaledorRises

#1623 Post by CaledorRises »

I do like that model, it's one that I need to find someday. You've done a great job with it!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1624 Post by Prince of Spires »

I love him. He's definitely worthy of leading your army to victory. And he's definitely a fluffy choice to bring against Druchii. As far as special characters go, I think he's one of the more balanced ones. Maybe a bit on the expensive side. Should be a great game. Do you have any ideas about what's going to be in the rest of the army?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1625 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks guys!

The only real problem with Tyrion are his flaming attacks - makes it so much worse than a regular Giant Blade...

This being a very causal game, I was thinking of joining him up with Teclis (currently getting his undercoat) at the head of a solid phalanx of citizen levies with a unit of Silver Helms and some Phoenix Guards providing some quality.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1626 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The only real problem with Tyrion are his flaming attacks - makes it so much worse than a regular Giant Blade...
pk-ng took him to the ETC and did well. Crucially with open lists you know where the fireproof stuff is.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1627 Post by Prince of Spires »

A Silverhelm unit is a must (from a fluff perspective) if you bring Tyrion. And, since you have the chance, definitely take him together with Teclis. After all, how often do you get a chance to take both of them together. I think levies, SH and PG should make a good force. With 860 pts in T&T you can't afford all that many other toys. So opting for some more boots on the ground is probably a good plan. And of course, levies are a great target for some Teclis buffs.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1628 Post by RE.Lee »

The battle got a bit postponed, due to my cousin getting a part in theatre (yay!), but that does mean we both have a bit more time to prepare our armies.

While he's working on his Crossbowmen, I've finished Teclis:

Also, the last model for my TK army is getting some paint, Khalida herself:

I seem to be painting everything in beige, red, blue...
cheers, Lee

CaledorRises

#1629 Post by CaledorRises »

RE.Lee wrote:
It's working well, though! I'm unfamiliar with that Teclis model, is it an older one?
elendor_f

#1630 Post by elendor_f »

I really what you've done with Tyrion and Teclis!
CaledorRises wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:
It's working well, though! I'm unfamiliar with that Teclis model, is it an older one?
Yes, it's the one released during 6th edition :)
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
RE.Lee

#1631 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks!

Yup, its the interim one - he was missing the left arm though, so I had it replaced with one from the IoB mage :)

Finished Khalida today, and started converting two Centigors. Pictures soon.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1632 Post by SpellArcher »

Chalk up another Like for your Teclis RE.

=D>
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1633 Post by Prince of Spires »

The Teclis is indeed lovely. I like how he matches Tyrion with the blue's and red's in there but at the same time he's a lot less "bling bling". It matches the image / story I have of the twins in my head.

I like the painting on the Kalida model even more I think. Because the colors are a bit more subdued she feels more "real" and less fantasy (if that makes sense).

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1634 Post by RE.Lee »

The battle against the Druchii is scheduled for Saturday, fingers crossed nothing get in the way [-o<

Here's Khalida:

The WIP Centigors:

Also - a sudden detour into Sisters of Battle (the hype is real!):
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1635 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The battle against the Druchii is scheduled for Saturday
It’s on like Donkey Kong! Gruesome details afterwards please. Nice colours on the ladies and I like the varied bits you’ve found for the Centigors RE.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1636 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: It’s on like Donkey Kong! Gruesome details afterwards please
+1

Elf vs Elf battles tend to be a very bloody affair. So looking forward to the battle reports ;)

I really like the colors on the Sister. I really like the army and the pink and green really bring out the model. A unit of them should look epic.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1637 Post by RE.Lee »

Game done!

HE:

Tyrion & Teclis
Mounted BSB, Star Lance, Golden Crown, Dragon Helm

25 Spearmen, command
25 Lothern Sea Guards, command
20 Archers, command, light armour
10 Silver Helms, command

3 RBTs
2 Eagles

DE:

Morathi, on foot.
Level 2
BSB

40 Spearmen
20 Crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen
20 Corsairs
20 Corsairs

10 Cold One Knights
8 Shades
Hydra

I weakened my list, as my cousin was playing his first battle in a while, with a suboptimal list he was unfamiliar with. No Phoenix Guards for a matchup like this - the LSG took their place. Also I decided to take High Magic instead of the selection of spells from basic lores.

Deployment:

The battle opened with the Dark Elves advancing down the line. They were met with heavy fire (the Shades and Morathi's bodyguards soon fell) but responded in kind, killing an Eagle and some Archers.

Tyrion, who ran solo, and the Silver Helms exchanged flanks. The High Elf general was soon intercepted by a Hydra and managed to slay it after a short encounter.

He was immediately assaulted again, by some Corsairs and barely managed to pass a leadership check on 7.

Just as the Cold One Knights were getting into position to roll down the High Elf line, their mounts failed a stupidity test. This allowed the, seemingly doomed, Spearmen to help out Tyrion, freeing him from his tricky fight with the Corsairs.

The other flank so carnage - you'd expect that from an exchange between Teclis and Morathi. Doombolt and Fiery Convocation left holes in the ground were previously the Silver Helms and Corsairs had been. In the end, however, Teclis prevailed.

In the end it came down to 3 die rolls:
- Malhandir's attack on the Hydra (down to 1 wound, waiting to be relieved by the Corsairs)
- Tyrion's break test, after some bad luck against the Corsairs
- COK stupidity test, as they were clearing my left flank

All three went my way and so did the battle. The Druchii will be getting reinforcements soon, so a rematch is more or less a certainty. :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1638 Post by SpellArcher »

What a great mini-report RE, thank you!
RE.Lee wrote:No Phoenix Guards
Seems to have made for a closer game.
RE.Lee wrote:Also I decided to take High Magic
This is actually pretty good against Dark Elves.

The visuals are great, in particular your army looks splendid!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1639 Post by Prince of Spires »

A great bite-sized report to start the week with. Thanks! :)

It did read like a close battle. Good stuff.

Phoenix Guard would definitely have helped shift the balance. They are great in Elf vs Elf battles. The 4+ ward save really help them out a lot to ignore the incoming damage. And against the T3, low armour saves elves generally have the S4 is not that much of a downside.

I agree that High Magic normally is pretty good against DE. However, I do think that for this specific HE list the spell selection would have been the stronger option. The multitude of low S attacks would have benefited from the multitude of augments available. Add a choice of specific long ranged threats and hexes and you've got a very strong magic selection that is tough to deal with.
SpellArcher wrote: The visuals are great, in particular your army looks splendid!
I agree! The only comment I can make is that the tape measure in the background of the last Teclis picture kind off ruins the shot ;) Other then that, the army and battle look epic.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1640 Post by RE.Lee »

Prince of Spires wrote: The only comment I can make is that the tape measure in the background of the last Teclis picture kind off ruins the shot ;)
As does the Ikea candle :lol:

Thanks guys! It was a refreshing take on the army - no elites to speak of but some serious hero-hammer! High Magic was rather mediocre, the basic lore buffs would have indeed made the archers in particular a much more serious threat. They still did well.

Not sure what I'll be painting now. Finally finishing the Abomination is tempting. I think I'll wait with doing the Beastmen untill I get my hands on the Beastgrave mini's (such great sculpts!).
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1641 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:However, I do think that for this specific HE list the spell selection would have been the stronger option. The multitude of low S attacks would have benefited from the multitude of augments available.
RE.Lee wrote:High Magic was rather mediocre, the basic lore buffs would have indeed made the archers in particular a much more serious threat.
The BS buff from Hand of Glory is pretty good against elves. Versus WoC say, with their armour, choosing from multiple lores would be clearly better than High for this list. But every High spell is decent in this match-up and some (like Convocation) are very good.
RE.Lee wrote:some serious hero-hammer!
Tyrion seemed to make a real difference here.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1642 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:some serious hero-hammer!
Tyrion seemed to make a real difference here.
There is a poetic beauty in having a model you can simply point at a unit and tell it to go kill ;)
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:However, I do think that for this specific HE list the spell selection would have been the stronger option. The multitude of low S attacks would have benefited from the multitude of augments available.
RE.Lee wrote:High Magic was rather mediocre, the basic lore buffs would have indeed made the archers in particular a much more serious threat.
The BS buff from Hand of Glory is pretty good against elves. Versus WoC say, with their armour, choosing from multiple lores would be clearly better than High for this list. But every High spell is decent in this match-up and some (like Convocation) are very good.
High magic is by no means a bad lore. And elves are some of the ideal target for many of the spells (with all the low S attacks). But once the army gets in combat there is very little you can do to support your units. And with all the core units and S3 attacks flying around you can really use magic to make a difference there. Hand of glory is great indeed. But you can achieve the same result with something like something like enchanted blades. But then you can also back that up with Wildform, Harmonic convergence and Withering (or Mindrazor if you're feeling lucky). This gives you more buffs, all of which help you in different phases of the game. And all of which give you a big edge once in combat.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1643 Post by SpellArcher »

Maybe this comes down to playstyle Rod. I rarely find most of my units in combat at once when I play High Elves. So there are almost always other important things to be doing in the magic phase.
Prince of Spires wrote:There is a poetic beauty in having a model you can simply point at a unit and tell it to go kill
:)
RE.Lee

#1644 Post by RE.Lee »

Tyrion's killing power is still a bit underwhelming compared to things like a Blender Lord, but MAN does he grind!

I did some finishing touches on the 5+ year WIP that is the Abomination :lol:

Some 5th ed HE mounted heroes are also in the works.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1645 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote: I did some finishing touches on the 5+ year WIP that is the Abomination
:lol: funny how that works. He does seem to be nearing completion :)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1646 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:5+ year WIP that is the Abomination
Great model, Necromunda? I really like the...grey?
RE.Lee

#1647 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks! It is indeed from Necromunda - The Caller, I believe. Got it from my Sis years ago - was intended to be a filler and then GW made the Abomination a real thing :D Its grey, couldn't figure out a more striking colour scheme :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1648 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The Caller, I believe.
I had the comics!
RE.Lee wrote:Its grey,
Thought it might be some kind of really subtle metallic but it looks good anyway.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1649 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:Its grey, couldn't figure out a more striking colour scheme
I don't think the people being eaten by it will complain all that much about the lack of striking colour scheme ;)

I actually like the grey. It makes it more menacing then a more colourfull scheme would do I think. I would perhaps make some of the details a bit more striking. The warpstone green around the eyes, the red of the organ bits.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1650 Post by RE.Lee »

Had some more time to do the Vermin Lord:

The Abomination also got his kind of base (sans the rats).

Hopefully the Skaven will get to fight before Christmas.
cheers, Lee