Endtime painting competition 2015

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Who deserves to become Vaul Incarnate?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Solith (Warlocks)
13%
Mr. Lucifer (Warriors of the Eternal Glade)
17%
PeNo (Loremaster)
23%
Gandalf_82 (Last Stand Hero)
13%
ArcaneSnow (Thorned Sisters)
6%
fransotto (Desperate Measures)
13%
T.D. (Avatar of Khaine)
15%

Total votes: 47

Aicanor
Rainbows

Endtime painting competition 2015

#1 Post by Aicanor »

Time is up!

Vote for your favourite conversion/ paintjob from the entries below. Multiple votes are allowed. If you leave a comment for the competitors as well, it will be appreciated.

The vote will be open for eight days.

Aicanor

---

Solith (first entry)

My entry, Warlocks!

“Asur, rally to me!” Solith bellowed in desperation as he parried a savage strike that would have taken his throat. “Asur, to me!”

The response was immediate, with the disciplined Silver Helms regrouping around Solith and giving him a moment of respite to look around for a way out. Each of the elven knights were more than a match for any of the primal Beastmen surrounding them, but they were so few, and the savage beasts so damned many. The pressing darkness made every shadow seem to be yet another vile monster and Solith could see no way out, no way past the horrors that assaulted them. It was hopeless. The only choice left was how to die. Dying as a hero or dying screaming and afraid was no choice at all. Either way they would be dead and forgotten.

The cacophony of battle suddenly gave way to the pounding of hooves. The very darkness itself seemed to writhe and twist around the new arrivals as they thundered into the rear ranks of the Beastmen. Flashes of dark energy and the sharp cracks of magic could be felt by everyone.

Even from this distance Solith could feel an intense sensation of dread emanating from the newcomers. The Beastmen evidently felt it even more strongly, and in moments they turned and fled back into the shadows of the forest. Solith directed the few remaining Silver Helms standing to form up as the new horsemen approached. The wounded would have to wait.

They appeared elven, but the closer they came the more Solith felt sure that something was wrongabout them. He couldn’t pin down just what was off about them, but the sense of something unnatural in the air made his skin crawl.

“So enjoyable to hunt down the Children of Chaos, don’t you find? The Eternity King has sent us. We are here to serve, my Lord.”

The newcomers spoke all together in a single voice. Each spoke in barely above a whisper, but they spoke so perfectly in sync it couldn’t be simple practice. This wasn’t five voices speaking together. This was a single voice coming out of five mouths at once. Solith’s shiver had nothing to do with the cold.
Mr. Lucifer

Re: Endtime painting and modelling competition

#2 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

So, My entry for the competition!

At the fall of Ulthuan, Alarielle transported as many of her kin as her power would allow. Many shadow warriors fighting on the fringes of elven population and in swathed in protective cantrips were lost in this final escape - Some left to suffer a watery end; others lost in the warp during the transport to suffer a painful and lengthy death in the clutches of unspeakable demonic entities.

Those warriors that found themselves standing in under the leafy boughs of Athel Loren found themselves betwix relief and devastation, glad that they had been saved yet appalled at the loss of the land they had strove to defend for many generations. Many fell into a deep, dark depression discarding their garments and ornaments of war and wandering naked through the woods searching for answers though they knew not where they lay. Others still set out from Athel Loren across the old world, in disbelief they their ancestral land had been lost and determined to find it once more.

Yet some remained and vowed to defend the woodland realm with the same vehemence that they had the shadow-lands. Taking instruction from the resident Waywatchers in the lay of the land and learning to talk to the animals and tree-kin they formed a new band, the Warriors of the Eternal Glade, sworn to defend Alarielle and operating as her personal guard; her touch incarnate.

"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

Re: Endtime painting and modelling competition - closes 31 M

#3 Post by PeNo »

Anlith the Loremaster sat down in one of the cushioned arm chairs in the back of the tavern and poured himself generously of the bottle of Avelornian wine he had recently accuired. The shock at finding such a fine vintage, at an establishment that mostly served the common sailors of the porttown Tor Koruali, had begun to fade.
What didn't fade was the constant headache he had been cursed with since the catastrophy, when those damned twins and the roasted son of Aenarion started havoc all over Ulthuan.

Anlith sighed and reminisced of the life in the Tower of Hoeth, not even a year gone, but a lifetime away. There he had led a life of comfort and lethargy, and he had been perfectly content. When he was but a novice at the tower he had realized the advantages of striving for a title of Loremaster. There had been many advantages in fact. For one you didn't have to risk your sanity in the warp, by keeping to the easiest spells and cantrips you where mostly safe from the probing tendrils of chaos.
Also the Swordmasters, that he was affiliated with, were definitely better company in the taverns when carousing and gaining the favour of a maiden. But the most important factor was that a Loremaster seldom had to go to war, the great generals of Ulthuan wanted grand spells to aid them in the tides of battle. The poor sods that had been proficient in shadow or death magic seldom saw the tower for more then a couple of days a year. Anlith on the other hand had lived a life of leisure for the last three centuries. Teaching the first year students the basic of spell casting before lunch. The afternoon was spent with his comrades of the Swordmasters, training his body and swordsmanship. And the nights, more often then not, in one of the taverns outside the tower grounds.

But that had changed over night. When Teclis dissolved the vortex, Anlith mind had in an instant become the vessel for every single spell of the common schools of magic. This did not only put an enormous strain on Anliths mind and give him a near constant migraine, but he also became a target for both sides of the conflict. His newly acquired proficiency in magic meant that he was both a possible asset if he could be recruited, or a possible threat worth eliminating if he could not.
So Anlith had done the only sensible choice, run. Now he found himself in this port town filled to the brim with refuges seeking passage to anywhere but Ulthuan.

When Anlith shook himself of his brooding and self-pity he reached for the bottle of wine once more, shaken from his reverie he suddenly realised that he was alone in the tavern. Outside he could hear the alarm signal sounding throughout the city. The war had once again caught up with him. Anlith sighed and put the half empty wine bottle in his backpack. With heavy steps he walked towards the exit, the crystal sword drawn in one hand, and a fireball charged in the other.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by PeNo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My High Elves painting log

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Gandalf_82

#4 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Great entries so far guys! Here's mine, although I think the pictures make it look grainier than the model is. Need to work on my photography skills! By my standards I'm really happy with this guy. :)

In these few moments of respite he emptied the last dregs of his canteen. It barely slaked his thirst. No use in complaining, he was no worse off than most of his kin. Those that were left.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd managed more than fifteen minutes of sleep before the horns had sounded another enemy assault. The tide of Chaos was relentless, hordes of warriors and demons hell bent on destruction of all he held dear.

All he held dear... what was left of that? It still hadn't really sunk in. Ulthuan gone. Never to return.

He rubbed his eyes, partly to clear them but mostly to hold back the tears.

No time for that. No point in dwelling on it any more. He was going to die soon, that was inevitable but by god he was going to take as many more of the bastards with him as he could.

These at least were lands worth fighting for. His homeland might be gone but he'd vowed to sacrifice himself if he could help save the woods of Athel Loren. That at least was something worth dying for. It offered a shred of comfort in an otherwise grim world.

They'd been fighting for days now. A desperate retreat but a necessary rearguard action whilst other defences were readied. They were down to just a handful of elves now. Arrows nearly spent. Food nearly gone.

A tap on the shoulder. He looked around, one of his Wood Elf kin offered him his canteen, "You look like you could use this".

He smiled, taking a swig before returning it to its owner.

"Thanks my friend. It's been an honour fighting alongside you." he replied.

"And you. I've never seen such mastery of the winds of magic. In another time and another place they'd make great songs of this last stand"

A horn sounds. The enemy are coming again.

A deep breath. His decision made, calmness spreading through him as he readied himself for his fate.

"Take the last of your kin. Flee now. We've held them for as long as we could and then some. There's no point in all of us dying, I'll hold them off for as long as I can. Go... NOW"

A gesture, cutting him off before he could argue. He could see by the look in his eyes he meant it.

A brief embrace.

"Farewell my friend. You do your people proud." he said before running off into the undergrowth.

Picking up his staff he turned to face the enemy.

"For the Asur" he whispered before beginning his first incantation...

ArcaneSnow

#5 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Sort of in a creative rut lately... Not my best work, but I've tried..

Here's my entry.

The stories passed down through the ages regarding witches are always unpleasant ones. They speak of crazed destruction of flesh and blood, potions from the abyss that wreak havoc on the mind, and rituals that contaminate even the purest of souls; but today is not a day for those stories, for it is the stories untold that holds most truth. One of these tales comes from a lost book once held in the Naggaroth Libraries. It speaks of a time in Elven history when our empire was divided into three, a time where witches ruled the land and did as they pleased. They came about in the dark veils of the night and stole young children from their families. Captive girls were locked in cages and forced to fight for their survival, trained to deal with all sorts of mental and physical punishment. Over time, they were broken in mind and soul, the pure nature of a child was locked up and thrown to the deepest part of their hearts and replaced with a frenzied urge to spill the blood of others and bathe in their fears and sorrows, this was their new life. As for the young boys that were captured... Let’s just say they had a crueler and swifter fate.

However, not all is ever truly lost. History foretold of a great war fought over a mythical island, where elves of all kind were gathered to stand behind their King. It was this one and only time that all the Witches from every part of the lands were called forth by their Sorceresses. They gathered massive forces and traveled with armies of all kinds to this island in hopes to conquer it and reign supreme over all the Elves, but little did the Witches expect, this place was unlike any other they had been. The sun light that shone over these lands were warmer, the trees that grew in these soils were greener, and the winds that breezed through the air was higher and lighter; for some of these girls, a part of their hearts began to tingle and fall apart.

As time went on, the war they had come to fight became nothing but a distraction; background noise for the fight within. Why were they causing so much fear and terror to the innocent? When did they start believing this was the only way of life? What can be done to ease this pain? Eventually a small group of young Witches snuck out of their war band to seek answers. Call it destiny or fate if you will, but after days of travel they found themselves lost in a forest in Avelorn, their they ran into an ambush of archers; however, instead of striking their enemies at first sight, these tired travelers dropped their daggers and asked that their attackers to simply ended their pains. Before the arrows started to ring, a young handmaiden halted her archers and stepped out through the bushes. She stood in front of them with stern elegance and stared into their eyes hoping to find deceit, but to her surprise, she noticed none of it and saw glimmers of hope; one thing she had expected during those end times. She took them in after the engagement and started to train them under her guide, teaching them the wrongs of their way before and eventually unlocking the chains that bound the pure natures of their heart. Those that found true forgiveness took on a new beginning as the Thorned Sisters. The white war paint they once wore as a symbol of fear was replaced with natural beauty, the crazed concoctions they once brewed was replaced with blessings form their new goddess Isha, and the frenzied daggers they once wielded to spill the blood of the innocent was replaced with Bows of Avelorn that were said to always fly true for those found purity of heart. This became their new calling, living a better life for a better cause.

As Tiatha closed the book and stood up to leave her daughter's bedside, she grabbed out from beneath the sheets and held her hand right beneath her tattoo of a Thorned Crown.

A sleepy voice spoke out, "Mommy is that story true? I promise I'll never ever be bad."

Tiatha tucked her back in and replied, "Sleep sweetie, there is nothing to worry about, we live in the forest now."

Image Image
Image Image
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
fransotto

#6 Post by fransotto »

Sorry, I cannot come up with any story, but here is a quote that I think might fit both my entry and "warhammer end times".

If falling into desperation worked to make things better, then I would say, 'Let's all jump into despair.' But it doesn't help. The only way to truly find meaning and fulfillment is to look at the disaster, the pain, the difficulty, and know with complete certainty that good can come from this.

:)
T.D.

#7 Post by T.D. »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

The Avatar of Khaine

No story, because you've probably read it already :mrgreen:

My re-imagining of the Avatar, with the emphasis not on the Tyrion, but on the Khaine :twisted:

(I call this style of paint job "raw" :P)

WIP pics coming up soon on this thread: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 76#p901342
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Endtime painting competition - VOTING THREAD

#8 Post by Aicanor »

Just a little remainder. Last day of the poll is here. What is your favourite entry?
T.D.

#9 Post by T.D. »

Great competition!

I enjoyed the taking part :D

@Solith

I really dig your Warlocks. The subtle changes have really improved on the models, and your paint job has invested real character in the riders; the mark of a master! Brilliant.

The reason you didn't get my vote is because in these competitions I'm looking for a stand-out, and a single model tends to come across better than a unit IMO.

@MrLucifer

Another really nice and subtle kitbash. Paint job is superb -- professional quality -- and the detail on the basing adds so much to the unit. Bravo!

As with my comment above, I tend to rate single models over units.

@Gandalf82

I appreciate the closeness of the picture, as it allows us to see all the detail. A superbly painted piece and a charming choice of model.

When I'm voting I look for something a little extra though; a more dynamic model, or a challenging conversion. With a different choice of model/conversion, you would have been in the running IMO.

@ArcaneSnow

Love the choice of Druchii gals :D Blonde colour scheme is unusual but works well. I also like the dual Witches/Sisters approach you have taken.

Positively LOL'ed at your story :lol:

@Aicanor

You have a beautiful sense of colour, and I enjoyed the little peek of the Phoenix. It was also further along the road to completion than my entry :P

@fransotto

Your painting skills are a zillion times better than mine, but in my opinion this entry does not work.

The concept is charming, but the execution lacking.

Both models are beautifully painted, but I really think you should have been more ambitious in your conversion work.

On the left, the model is great up to the legs. If you had greenstuffed legs and a proper resting cloak against the ground rather than simply used a set of legs lying on its side the effect would have been better.

On the right, is where the problems really start. The headpiece is so big, that you either need (i) to use it on a mounted model, or (ii) use the largest scale parts available, so the model does not get swamped under the headcrest.

For example, see Galharen's conversion using this part: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 74#p899892

To make Elves work, you need to pay attention to scale. For example:

- Griffon Rider Head
- Largest Pair of Elven Legs Available (i.e. Dark Eldar Kabalite/Archon, greenstuffed to look Asur)
- Largest Elven Torso Available (i.e. Any Elf Knight Kit, or plastic character i.e. Sea Helm)
- Elven scale muscular arms (i.e. From DE Wych kit)

I don't like to be a harsh critic, especially when people have taken the time to enter into a competition, but I've had a look at your PLOG and it is brilliant. However, you didn't show this in your competition entry, and if you take more care over conversions next time you will be moving closer to the experts like Galharen. Your painting as I have said is exceptional.

@PeNo

I'm not a fan of this model, so the fact you made me vote for it is a great credit!

A very simple and subtle conversion with the Shadow Warrior legs, which elevates the model from 'goofy' to brilliant 8)

I also prefer photorealism over cartoonism, but your 'cell-shaded' style of painting and palette is absolutely wonderful. As well as the bold colours, I appreciate the attention to detail such as the marbling effect on the helm crest.

Fantastic =D>
Lady Phoenix

#10 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Congratulatiosn to the winner. I found it very difficult to decide who to vote for as they were all excellent models. In the end I voted for the Shadow Warriors because I like the models and I felt that they looked as thouogh they were swooshing through the grass.

That being said, I could not argue against any other entry geting the nod, escpecially the eventual winner. Nice modifications, well painted. Looks good, certainly has the Wow factor and If I can one day paint just half as good as that Ill be really proud of myself.

Well done to all.
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Gandalf_82

#11 Post by Gandalf_82 »

T.D. wrote:Great competition!

I enjoyed the taking part :D

@Gandalf82

I appreciate the closeness of the picture, as it allows us to see all the detail. A superbly painted piece and a charming choice of model.

When I'm voting I look for something a little extra though; a more dynamic model, or a challenging conversion. With a different choice of model/conversion, you would have been in the running IMO.

I'll second that. A good fun competition and it was fun taking part. Never expected to win so to get some positive feedback and a few votes is a bonus! I'm still very much focused on getting my first 2.4k painted so not putting the time into converting models yet (I'm yet to try) but I appreciate your feedback and its a fair point.

I've got some plans for a conversion somewhere down the road when I get finished with another unit or two!

Well done everyone, some cracking entries! :)
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#12 Post by PeNo »

Great competition with nice submissions and stories! =D> =D>
Thanks for the votes and positive comments! I'm this happy right now
My High Elves painting log

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Aicanor
Rainbows

#13 Post by Aicanor »

So it is official now, PeNo is our new Vaul Incarnate! *applause*
But Anlith the Loremaster... will be facing a disciplinary hearing at the Tower sooner or later! :lol: Not only great conversion, but packed together with a a hilarious story. It paid off.

Mr. Lucifer - very nice models and well painted. What I am always wondering one thing - how difficult it is to aim in those full helmets?

T.D. - nice points for your raw paintjob! What should we call you? Lord Greenstuff?

Solith - I am quite surprised you didn't get more votes.

Gandalf_82 - Does your mage hold a Bubbleverse world in his hand? Stylish. Classic model with a nice backstory. :mrgreen:

fransotto - Great ideas! Keep on going like this and you are going to win next time. :wink:

ArcaneSnow - Great story again - I may have to start another storytelling competition to make you write more! You can try to improve your photographing skills in the meanwhile. I think the photos could be more flattering to your models than this.

A big thank you to everyone! I hope you enjoyed the competition as much as I did.

---
@Aicanor You have a beautiful sense of colour, and I enjoyed the little peek of the Phoenix. It was also further along the road to completion than my entry :P
It was just an out-of-the box model. It was the Anointed who would have added something a little more unique. We'll see how quickly I can finish them now... :D
Mr. Lucifer

#14 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Hey guys

Been away for a while dealing with some RL stuff...

Just wanted to say thank you for the votes, I knew I wouldn't win this but to be honest I didn't even expect to come second! Thank you so much for the 'support'... Hopefully ill be able to enter some more competitions!

Well done to all the other entries of course some excellent work on display and a special congrats to our winner, truly sublime work!
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Glad you liked participating. Thank you for entering the model :)
Mr. Lucifer wrote: Hopefully ill be able to enter some more competitions!
We're toying with the idea of running another set of competitions around the launch of 9th edition. We'll put up an announcement once we get to it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Hopefully 9th generates motivation for people. Unlike the 2nd half of the end times which seems to have stolen it from a lot of us.
John Rainbow

#17 Post by John Rainbow »

Well done PeNo! Great paint job! And well done to everyone else who entered - some good stuff in there!
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Hopefully 9th generates motivation for people. Unlike the 2nd half of the end times which seems to have stolen it from a lot of us.
QFT
Mr. Lucifer

#18 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Yes quite!

There seems to be a,lot of 9th hate around at the moment however there is still a lot of fantasy love (certainly locally) and this kind of hoo ha over changes are standard I feel...

Viva la fantasy, viva la 9th and long may High Elves rule the meta!