Burnout Recovery: 9 Week Physical Exercise Program

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karak Norn Clansman

Burnout Recovery: 9 Week Physical Exercise Program

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

The following is a possible cure, described to me by a doctor who had education in physical exercise (which most doctors don't have, and thus cannot find anything wrong with burntout patients when taking their tests). Posting it in case anyone knows someone who could benefit from trying it out. You may want to speak with a doctor about it, but do ask how many hours education they have in physical exercise, and remember that most doctors have zero:

9 Week Programme for Burnout Recovery (90% recovery success among patients). Personal trainer is recommended.

Start small and managable. It doesn't matter how little you can manage the first weeks. Increase as you go by.

Each week look like this:

1 day high pulse exercise. Skiing, cycling, running, swimming.

1 day rest.

1 day high strength exercise. Lifting weights. Not many lifts with little weight, but a few heavy lifts.

1 day rest.

1 day low pulse exercise. Yoga, relaxation exercise and the like, whatever makes your pulse go low.

1 day rest.

Rince and repeat for 9 weeks.

The high pulse exercise gives the least to recovery, but is still needed. High strength exercise gives medium. Low pulse exercise gives the most, counter-intuitively though it may sound.

The doctor explained that burnout is lengthy brain exhaustion, and can be exercised and rested away if done correctly. It cannot be medicated away, at least not with current medicine.

I will try this program soon, when things calm down so no work and chores to help within the family tugs at my limited energy (keep your schedule cleared!).

Best of luck, anyone out there who may need it.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Burnout Recovery: 9 Week Physical Exercise Program

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hope you find this effective KNC.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

What do you do on day 7? or is it a 6 day cycle?

I can imagine it working, though I guess you have to tackle the other parts as well, not just the excercise part. If you don't target the "brain exhaustion" part by changing your habbits but only add excercise some people might simply get more exhausted (because it's another todo item) or will end up in the same spot after they stop after the 9 week program ends.

Good luck trying it.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#4 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Slot in an extra rest day to fill out the week, and it could be used earlier as well.

Haha, yes, overworking should be avoided in the future so as not to burn out again (no more weeks of 10-14 hour workdays, even when it's fun), but the cure to the present brain exhaustion is apparently the exerice and resting, according to the doctor. :)