Rules questions

Ask any rules specific questions here
Kaladin

Rules questions

#1 Post by Kaladin »

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I currently play High Elves and Warriors of Chaos. Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated and sorry if any of these are obvious or have already been answered elsewhere.

1. Can you stack various pieces of mundane equipment to get a 1+ armour save? e.g. Chaos knights have chaos armour (+4), a shield (+1), are mounted and have barding (+1 for each). I think that they should get one, but others disagree.

2. Would a model with Cloak of Beards work on another character who is in base contact but is in a challenge with another model? This is just a clarification of the rules, as the challenge rules in the BRB says that "they cannot be attacked by any other model for that round of combat", but not that other things like that don't work.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Rules questions

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Kaladin!

:)
Kaladin wrote:1. Can you stack various pieces of mundane equipment to get a 1+ armour save? e.g. Chaos knights have chaos armour (+4), a shield (+1), are mounted and have barding (+1 for each). I think that they should get one, but others disagree.
You are right and the others are wrong. See pg 83 of the main rulebook 'Cavalry Armour Saves'. The 1+ AS is one of the main strengths of Chaos Knights.
Kaladin wrote:2. Would a model with Cloak of Beards work on another character who is in base contact but is in a challenge with another model? This is just a clarification of the rules, as the challenge rules in the BRB says that "they cannot be attacked by any other model for that round of combat", but not that other things like that don't work.
I've checked the High Elf book, the main rulebook and the rulebook FAQ's and I can't see a reason the Cloak wouldn't work here.
Kaladin

#3 Post by Kaladin »

Thanks for that SpellArcher. Another quick question, can you dispel spells that were cast on previous turns? does this change is the spell is "remains in play"? I've read in multiple places of people dispelling "curse of ages"/"fiery convocation" a turn after it was cast...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Kaladin wrote:Thanks for that SpellArcher.
You're welcome Kaladin.
Kaladin wrote:Another quick question, can you dispel spells that were cast on previous turns? does this change is the spell is "remains in play"? I've read in multiple places of people dispelling "curse of ages"/"fiery convocation" a turn after it was cast...
It's on pg 36 of the main rulebook. Remains in Play spells can be dispelled in subsequent turns. Other spells cannot.

Regarding the 1+ Armour Save we discussed earlier, I should mention that a save can never be better than 1+ and even this always fails on the roll of a 1. This is explained on pg 43 of the main rulebook. The advantage of having the 1+ save over 2+ say, is that high strength hits affect it less. So a Strength 4 hit for example will be saved by 1+ armour on a 2+ but by 2+ Armour on a 3+.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

To give a bit more clarification to SA (he's right about them) answers:

Armour saves are stacked. However, it should be noted that you can only bring 1 piece of each type of armour. So you can only have 1 shield, one suit of armour and so on. So you can have heavy armour, shield, barding and mounted for a 2+ save. You can not have heavy armour, light armour, shield barding and mounted for a 1+ save.

Most character models start with light armour as basic. They have the option for heavy armour. In this instance, the heavy armour replaces the light armour.

Cloak of beards: the only thing to keep in mind is that you need to be in B2B contact with the wearing to be affected by the destruction of the magic item part. When entering a challenge you are moved into B2B contact with the challenger. Of course, you are still in B2B contact with the models next to the challenger as well. But this limits the places where the model wearing the cloak must be in relation to the challenger.

As for dispelling spells: you can indeed only dispel Remains in Play spells in a later turn. There is 1 exception to this. The spell "Drain magic" from the high magic lore removes all spells cast on the target unit, both RiP spells and regular spells.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.