BoTWD vs dwarves and wood elves

Ask any rules specific questions here
afterglow82

BoTWD vs dwarves and wood elves

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

I have a couple of battles coming up, and i'm expecting arguments from my opponents, so I want to preempt them ;)

Do dwarven runes count as magical for the purposes of BoTWD? I know dwarves are strictly speaking a non-magical army, but their rune system is their 'version' of magic - im guessing the answer is no, but it doesnt do any harm to ask!

Same question with wood elf arrows - i THINK they are listed as magical arrows in the army book, but i dont have it in front of me so im not certain.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: BoTWD vs dwarves and wood elves

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

afterglow82 wrote:Do dwarven runes count as magical for the purposes of BoTWD? I know dwarves are strictly speaking a non-magical army, but their rune system is their 'version' of magic - im guessing the answer is no, but it doesnt do any harm to ask!
answer is yes. I seem to remember at least that it sais that dwarven runes make weapons behave like normal magical items. And if it's a magic weapon then the BoTWD works.

Same with magical arrows. They deliver magical attacks and so the BoTWD has an effect.

The most simple test probably is to ask yourself (or your opponent) is: can the weapon in question hurt Ethereal units? If the answer is yes, then the BOTWD offers protection.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Runic attacks are magical indeed. Playing against High Elves is one of those rare situations Dwarfs might take a non-runic war machine ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

What the guys said.

WE book, pg 37:

"All Shooting attacks made with Enchanted Arrows count as having been made with magic weapons."

Dwarf book, pg 59:

"all the usual rules for magic items still apply."
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Page references are good. Thanks SA
afterglow82

#6 Post by afterglow82 »

fantastic guys thanks :)

he's a fairly new dwarf player, and absolutely adores his runes, so im taking BoTWD on a huge unit and hoping he hasnt thought of it ;)
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

There's nothing quite much like telling an opponent you've got a 2+ ward save after he lands a direct hit from his grudge thrower on your White Lion horde ;) Only works once probably but enjoy!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome. It does indeed let you consider attacks that might be suicidal without.

Obviously World Dragon will also work against Dwarf weapon runes in combat. Just watch out for crossbows, Gyrocopters etc..