Shield of the Wyrm

Ask any rules specific questions here
Marsyon

Shield of the Wyrm

#1 Post by Marsyon »

Hi all, sorry but I do not know the name in english. I am referring to a magic item (Armour) in the HE Army book. It costs 15 ponts and it grants and armour save of 4+.
The question is. Can I use it in combination with an Heavy/Dragon Armour in order to get a 2+ Armour Save?
If not, how does am I suppose to use it?

Thank you in advance
I see the world old
I see the world dead
Under a pale grey sky, We shall ARISE
Cold Phoenix

Re: Shield of the Wyrm

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Marsyon wrote:Hi all, sorry but I do not know the name in english. I am referring to a magic item (Armour) in the HE Army book. It costs 15 ponts and it grants and armour save of 4+.
The question is. Can I use it in combination with an Heavy/Dragon Armour in order to get a 2+ Armour Save?
If not, how does am I suppose to use it?

Thank you in advance
There isn't a magic item which gives a 4+ armour save in the HE book; there is a 15 point magic armour item in the HE book is the Shield of the Merwyrm. It's a magic shield which gives the user a 4+ parry save that can be used even if the character is also using a one-handed magical weapon. Being a shield it also gives +1 to your armour. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
Marsyon

#3 Post by Marsyon »

oh.. yes.. that is the one.
Basically is like to have a Ward Save of 4+ but only in CC, right?

So Heavy/Dragon Armour + Shield of the Merwirm + a Mount (Maybe a Dragon) = 3+ AS and 4+Parry Save/Ward Save
ok?

Can I also have a normal Ward Save then? like 3+ Armour Save, 4+ Parry Save, and the maybe a TAlisma with a 4+ Ward Save for a total of 3 actual saves? I don't think this is possible right?

and also... Silver Helmes and Dragon Princes, after the turn they charge, use a hand weapon+shield. Do they benefot from the parry save of 6+? (ok, DP have anyway a 6+ Ward Save.. so it is not so applicable I guess)
I see the world old
I see the world dead
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

You cannot use Parry whilst you are mounted. So the best you can have is Heavy/Dragon Armour + Shield of The Merwyrm -> 4+/4++ (parry).

You can have a normal ward save.

no. Parry is only when you are non-mounted.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Marsyon

#5 Post by Marsyon »

sorry but I didn't get it properly (-> 4+/4++ ?? Double ++?? what is it?). Do you mean that I can use first Armour Save, then the parry save and then, as last, the Ward Save? 3 saves on a row?

Where is it written, if you can/want to provide the page, that it is only on models on foot. Because I didn't read it.
I see the world old
I see the world dead
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

You get a 4+ armour save and then (in some cases) a 4+ parry save. You can only get 2 kinds of saves so armour and either parry/regeneration/ward.
The rules for when you get to take a parry save are in the main rulebook, one of the restrictions is being on foot.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#7 Post by Elithmar »

Page 88, second column. 'If a warrior is fighting with a hand weapon and a shield, then he has a 6+ ward save'. Further down - '...nor can it be used by mounted models'.

So parry saves are ward saves, but only used in combat. Concerning multiple ward saves, see page 44 - 'If a model has more than one ward save, simply use the best'.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
wisetiger7

#8 Post by wisetiger7 »

When people post 4+/4++, this means 4+ armor save and then a 4+ ward save. So if you saw 3+/5++, it would be a 3+ armor save and a 5+ ward save. The "++" means ward save, usually. As Parry is a ward save, it can be reflected in this way.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)