HE loremaster and miscasts: what happens after power drain?

Ask any rules specific questions here
teep

HE loremaster and miscasts: what happens after power drain?

#1 Post by teep »

Just like the title suggests, what happens if a poor LM miscasts and loses a couple of wizard levels?
Let's assume he loses 2 levels or more - is he now a wizard with 6 spells left to cast, albeit without any bonuses
for doing so or is he reduced to being an expensive combat dude of questionable ability?

Sorry, if this has been asked a billion times before, but I couldn't find any info on it to my surprise...

As for asking other players face to face, I've heard both answers - one coming from a TO telling me that a power
drained LM can still cast his other spells, reassuring me that's exactly why he seen so many people taking him.
An opponent of mine with a lot of experience told me tho, that a wizard without any levels can't cast jack...

What do you think, guys, and how have you seen it ruled?
Thanks in advance,
teep
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: HE loremaster and miscasts: what happens after power dra

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

This was solved by the FAQ of the BRB before GW took them down:
Q: What happens if a Wizard loses one or more Wizard levels? (p28)
A: Whenever a Wizard loses one or more Wizard levels, he instantly forgets a single spell for each Wizard level lost, chosen at random from those he knows.
Q: If a model with the Loremaster special rule suffers a Power Drain result from the Miscast table, do they lose spells as normal? (p72)
A: Yes.
Q: If a Wizard has had his level reduced to 0 does he still counts as a Wizard and can he still attempt to channel Power and Dispel dice? (p28)
A: Yes.
Q: If a Wizard has had his level reduced to 0 and he still knows one or more spells, can he attempt to cast them? (p31)
A: No.
I think these are all the relevant entries from the FAQ:
- the loremaster can lose wizard levels (as other mages). When he does so he loses spells (as laid out in power drain). If his level reaches 0 then he can no longer cast spells, even if he still knows some spells. However, he can still attempt to channel PD and DD.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
teep

#3 Post by teep »

Ah, thanks! I know quotes 1 and 3 and always thought that quote 3 refers to the loremaster rule
as in 'I'm a slaan-teclis-know-it-all', not so much to the HE character.

Still, quote 4 makes it pretty clear..I'm really glad that I've stuck to the habit of interpreting rules to
my 'disadvantage' when in doubt - it's often best :)

Thanks, dude
Darbog

#4 Post by Darbog »

He can still channel dice but can't cast spells. With that in mind, can he still dispel?
Would be nice to be able to use Book of Hoeth even when something like this happens.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

teep wrote:Ah, thanks! I know quotes 1 and 3 and always thought that quote 3 refers to the loremaster rule
as in 'I'm a slaan-teclis-know-it-all', not so much to the HE character.
It does indeed refer to teclis-know-it-all type characters. I included it more out of completeness and as an example that casters who follow a different logic for obtaining spells can still lose them.
Darbog wrote:He can still channel dice but can't cast spells. With that in mind, can he still dispel?
Would be nice to be able to use Book of Hoeth even when something like this happens.
I think yes, but don't have the faq on hand to check. To dispell you need to be a mage. You don't stop being a mage when you lose your levels.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.