Tyrion in cavalry unit

Ask any rules specific questions here
Elkadar

Tyrion in cavalry unit

#1 Post by Elkadar »

I have been considering fielding Tyrion instead of generic price in a unit of SH or DP.
However, I have some doubts about how he should be treaded inside a unit.

Tyrion is considered a cavalry model but with bigger base (double of ordinary cavalry base? - I do not have the model yet).
BRB says that a full rank of troops should have at least 5 models.

So my questions are:
For the purpose of calculating ranks for combat resolution (etc.) Tyrion is treated as one or two models?

For example: if I put Tyrion into 5 wide SH unit first rank would be 3 SH models + Tyrion, second rank 5 SH etc., is first rank (with actually 4 models, but one oversized) treated as full rank or second rank (of 5 SH) is considered first full rank in this unit?

Should I deploy SH with Tyrion in 6-wide formation in order to get bonus for all ranks?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Tyrion in cavalry unit

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Page 98:

"If your character(s) fit into the unit in this manner, work out the unit's ranks (and therefore it's rank bonus) as if the space was filled with rank and file troops."

Say the front rank consists of Tyrion and three knights. This is effectively five-wide (because two knights would fill Tyrion's space) and hence counts as a rank for the usual purposes.
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

Also note that Tyrion is just normal cav. now - he is no longer monstrous so you could put him on a normal cav. base if you want.
Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

To put it in reverse, if someone was to use a converted Tyrion (with the large base) to proxy a standard Prince, would that larger base size be legal?
Elkadar

#5 Post by Elkadar »

Thanks guys! You have helped a lot.

@John

I guess it's the same as with Great Eagle base. You can choose between two sizes now, each solution has it's advantages.
Tyrion on bigger base allows to push Archmage or BSB to second rank without investing in additional combat character. However, smaller base limits number of attacks he is receiving in return in CC.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

The thing is, Tyrion hasn't been sold on a regular cavalry base for a long, long time. You might be able to use the old model on this base on a casual basis but at a tournament people would look askance I believe. Unit Type has no real effect on base size in the rules. I don't believe you could run a normal Prince on a 50 x 50.

That said, Tyrion is such a tank (WS 9, ASF, 1+, 4++, Heart of Avelorn) that the bigger base is attractive anyway.
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

SpellArcher wrote:The thing is, Tyrion hasn't been sold on a regular cavalry base for a long, long time. You might be able to use the old model on this base on a casual basis but at a tournament people would look askance I believe. Unit Type has no real effect on base size in the rules. I don't believe you could run a normal Prince on a 50 x 50.

That said, Tyrion is such a tank (WS 9, ASF, 1+, 4++, Heart of Avelorn) that the bigger base is attractive anyway.
I've seen people use both and don't have a problem with either myself. I guess it depends on the community. I would check with the TO/group on this one. Also, some tournies (ETC and Swedish comp) have base size suggestions.