thunderstomp of griffon in challenge

Ask any rules specific questions here
raccoonhat

thunderstomp of griffon in challenge

#1 Post by raccoonhat »

Hey,
The faq states that stomps in challenges can only be directed at the challenged enemy.
If my noble on a griffon is challenged by a character in a unit, can I still thunderstomp the unit? The griffon itself is not in the challenge.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: thunderstomp of griffon in challenge

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Actually, the griffon is in the challenge. So the griffon gets to thunderstomp (and attack!) but he will stomp and attack the character you are in a challenge with.

Note: If the character dies before the griffon attacks or stomps then those attacks are wasted.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
raccoonhat

#3 Post by raccoonhat »

A thunderstomp is against the unit and the griffon itself cannot be challenged, doesn't that mean that they are separate?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

What Rod said.

'Challenges and Mounts' on page 103. There is a bit near the end where it describes the Mount continuing to fight in the challenge which seems pretty clear to me. It also states that the Mount's attacks must be directed at the enemy character or their Mount and Stomps (thus Thunderstomps) are defined on page 76 as a kind of close combat attack. This is further clarified in the rulebook FAQ.

In and of itself, a character is a unit (page 5), though when it joins another unit a Combined Unit results (pg 99). A Griffon in a challenge is still Thunderstomping a unit, whether that is an Infantry character in a challenge or the unit as a whole.

Strangely though, I can't see where the rules describe how to split the effect of Stomps against a combined unit (assuming no challenge).
raccoonhat

#5 Post by raccoonhat »

Clear to me, thanks!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

We aim to please!

:)
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

Just make sure to check the stuff on initiative order as if you kill the challenger at a higher initiative you don't get the stomps and this might affect overkill, etc. It's a good tactic v monsters to break them using combat results with a large ish unit.