Quick Question on the anointed of Asuryan

Ask any rules specific questions here
Dfrege

Quick Question on the anointed of Asuryan

#1 Post by Dfrege »

So I was thinking about field an anointed since I hadn't seen anyone at my local hobby store use him. But my question is I've been told that Magic resistance on a character confers to his unit and , so would this mean if I dropped him into a unit of spearmen, with his 6++ he already gives them, would they have a 4++ against magic?

I haven't gone through the rules for MR in 8th since I've currently lost my rulebook and had to google the MR rules for 8th. I would normally learn the rules for MR but i've never really come across it that much in my experience so I kinda forgot it exsisted :P
Ladril Caledor

Re: Quick Question on the anointed of Asuryan

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Magic resistance boosts the ward for the entire unit as long as the MR character is alive.

So in your example the spearmen would get a 6+ ward and a 4+ ward against spells. I think such defensive boosts might be wasted on spearelves though, better to invest that protection in something with more hitting power. I prefer to run an Anointed with White Lions or Swordmasters to really make the most of the ward...and it's even better with a High Archmage in the same unit further boosting the ward saves.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Quick Question on the anointed of Asuryan

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

As Ladril says, 4++ vs spells.

There are tricks like giving the Anointed Moranion's Wayshard with Spears. Or you could add characters because the cheapness of Spears makes for a bigger unit and you don't have the problem of replacing hitty elites in the front rank. On the whole though, I agree he's probably better in elites, though World Dragon is very desirable and wastes the MR2. In PG (who prefer Razor Standard) the 6+ Ward would be lost but the MR2 works great and his killing power is very welcome.