MR(2) in PG proxys BotWD?

Ask any rules specific questions here
afterglow82

MR(2) in PG proxys BotWD?

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

As i read it, a character with Magic Resistance (2) (or higher) in a unit of phoenix guard, would be an equivalent of that unit having Banner of the World Dragon? The only difference as i can see it is that BotWD would also protect the characters in the unit, whereas MR(2) on top of the PG 4++ would give the PG themselves a 2++ against magic, but any characters would be defenceless? (apart from the character with the Magic Resistance themselves)

Am i missing something or is this the way everyone else sees it too?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: MR(2) in PG proxys BotWD?

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Obviously, World Dragon additionaly protects vs magic shooting, close combat attacks and Miscasts.

But vs spells, yes the effects are identical if all in the unit have a 4+ Ward say. Characters without a Ward would gain a 5+ save.
afterglow82

#3 Post by afterglow82 »

SpellArcher wrote:Obviously, World Dragon additionaly protects vs magic shooting, close combat attacks and Miscasts.

But vs spells, yes the effects are identical if all in the unit have a 4+ Ward say. Characters without a Ward would gain a 5+ save.
Sorry i should have mentioned the situation i'm asking about - I'm doubting that in my upcoming battle i'll be facing any (or at worst, many) magical shooting or combat attacks, and the wizard in this unit with be Lvl4 life, HOPEFULLY with throne of vines, so miscasts won't be an issue
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Most players feel World Dragon is overkill on PG because they have a 4+ Ward anyway. They also benefit greatly from Razor Standard. MR2 is a very good idea here. High Magic is worth a look because 3++ PG are just rude.
Ladril Caledor

#5 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Phoenix Guard with a Life Archmage with magic resistance is a great combo too. Just make sure you give the archmage plenty of protection if he is going to be in the front rank.

One combo I like is to run around 22 Phoenix Guard with full command and the Razor Standard along with a Life Archmage with Dispel Scroll, Fencers Blades and the Talisman of Endurance alongside a Noble with Dragon Armour, Halberd, Khaines Ring of Fury and the Obsidian Trinket. I two dice the bound spell first, either your opponent lets it through and the unit becomes nigh-unkillable, or he dispels it which sets you up for a nice Throne of Vines/Flesh to Stone combo. The principle is that the 3+ ward against spells makes it not worth casting for your opponent, and when the unit finally gets into combat it will be either running the 3+ ward against attacks, or T7 and 4+ ward. Worst case scenario it should at least be T5 and 4+ ward. The archmage will be really hard for opponents to kill in any case, WS 10, T5 or T7, 3 wounds and either 5+ or 4+ ward...opponents simply won't be able to get enough attacks into base contact with him to have a hope of taking him down. The Noble will die easily but he will do some hurt with his three S5 AP ASF in the process and deflect attacks from the archmage...just don't run this Noble as a BSB but he is designed to serve his purpose and die halfway through the game. It isn't a bad option though to put a Noble BSB in there in addition to the two characters above, he can sit in the second row and be extremely well protected in this unit.

As others have said, no need for BotWD on a unit like this, put it on something else like a nice unit of 9 Dragon Princes with a Prince and Giant Blade (with 1+ armour and Dawnstone), let that hammer into the flank while the PG hold the enemy up. BotWD makes the Giant Blade Prince an absolute beast in a challenge as he's almost invulnerable to magic weapons. Slam a Frostheart Phoenix into the other flank and your opponent will cry. Hammer and anvil baby...