Shooting at cauldron of blood, screaming bell etc in unit

Ask any rules specific questions here
afterglow82

Shooting at cauldron of blood, screaming bell etc in unit

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

Guys I've read and re-read both the rulebook and the appropriate army books, but for the life of me i cant figure out where the rules are for shooting at large targets that are IN units (Dark Elf cauldron of blood or Skaven screaming bell for example).

Under general rules, you can't 'pick' targets when shooting at a unit - but these things are large targets - surely there is some way of targeting them specifically? Please tell me i don't have to wipe out an entire unit of 40 witch elves, or 50 stormvermin, before i can shoot at the large target?
theviking

Re: Shooting at cauldron of blood, screaming bell etc in uni

#2 Post by theviking »

I don't have my books handy right now, but I'm pretty sure you can pick out a model if it's not the same unit type. So cavalry attached to infantry unit, monstrous cavalry in cavalry, etc. Also I think there might be a blurb in the skaven book about shooting at the bell/furnace, not sure if the DE book has anything. I'll have to check when I get home.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

The screaming bell has troop-type 'unique' and has its own rules for shooting at it. Check the skaven army book for details. I think you can chose which one you're shooting at, either the unit or the bell.

In general, if there are no special rules included in the armybook entry, I would refer to shooting at characters in units (I think most of these things are sort of characters or at least character mounts), see p98:
"if there are fewer then 5 R&F models or if the character is of a different troop type ... the controlling player decides who is hit, but must allocate one hit on each model before he can add a second hit on a model."

That said, I guess most of them have their own rules for these sorts of situations.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Andros123

#4 Post by Andros123 »

If you have a cannon you can snipe out things that have a different unit type inside another unit, since they will not get their look out sir. That is the general rule for things that shoots with templates (a cannon also shoots with a template). However our bolt throwers do not use a template, because it is BS shooting and hence you can't "pick" targets inside units. Unless the situation is like Rod describes it.
afterglow82

#5 Post by afterglow82 »

Ah yes i see the section in the Skaven book now, The cauldron however is troop type chariot - so wouldnt have its own unique rules. although it IS only available as a character mount, so i dont know how that affects it either :S
afterglow82

#6 Post by afterglow82 »

Andros123 wrote:If you have a cannon you can snipe out things that have a different unit type inside another unit, since they will not get their look out sir. That is the general rule for things that shoots with templates (a cannon also shoots with a template). However our bolt throwers do not use a template, because it is BS shooting and hence you can't "pick" targets inside units. Unless the situation is like Rod describes it.
Cannons were my plan ;) (i have a few allies !)
theviking

#7 Post by theviking »

So as best I can tell, you're going to need a cannon. The troop type is chariot, and being a character mount we treat it like a ridden monster. Normally ridden monsters can't join units, but the cauldron is an exception. Characters in units can't be singled out (unless you have sniper which we don't), so unfortunately you will have to mow down all but five witch elves to hit the cauldron. Unless there's a FAQ, but I couldn't find one.
Andros123

#8 Post by Andros123 »

I can think of one spell in high magic that will do just that :wink: