End Times and casting the same spell again on the same unit

Ask any rules specific questions here
Lantheya

End Times and casting the same spell again on the same unit

#1 Post by Lantheya »

With End Times a spell can be cast several times. So can an augment or hex spell affect the same unit multiple times? As an example: can I cast Wyssan's Wildform several times on a unit to get +4 Strength/Toughness?
Lantheya, Princess of House Niathym
Ladril Caledor

Re: End Times and casting the same spell again on the same u

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Yes. If the dice go your way it makes for some incredibly powerful combos. It's a jacked up version of Warhammer magic that some people like, but generally it has been unpopular. I really enjoyed it for a while but I've now gone back to the old rules, as have most players from what I can see.

It changes the dynamic away from big spells towards multiple cheap spells. The problem is that the Khaine book desperately needed an FAQ, there were aspects of the rules that weren't really clear. Also some spells became too powerful and needed some wording changes to reflect the new rules (for example the Skaven spell Wither can be spammed to wipe out units by reducing a stat to zero, the text should have been changed to 'reduce to a minimum of one')

But give the rules a try, they can be good fun and a nice change in a relaxed game with a friendly opponent. But i wouldn't recommend these rules for a competitive or serious game.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Yes.

This is really powerful, especially with cheap spells such as Miasma/Iceshard Blizzard/Pha's Protection. Wildform is always a top choice - now with no need to spam those Beast Wizards. My personal favourite is Plague of Rust from the Lore of Metal, since the effect is permanent, and Doom and Darkness (taking a panic test isn't quite so easy when at you're -6/9 Ld). From other races' lores Wither (Skaven spells of Plague) is a clear winner.

EDIT: Ninja'd
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Lantheya

#4 Post by Lantheya »

So I have to take care and make sure my units survive against Wither till I can cast Drain Magic...
Hmm, so Throne of Skulls next month in Nottingham will be "interesting"...
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

AFAIK this is not actually covered in the rules. Everyone assumes that effects such as Wyssans stack but I don't believe it is actually mentioned anywhere in the BRB. Check with a TO at a tournament.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

If it is for a tournament then I would definitely check with the TO first, since they can very well have a different idea about the rules then we do.

The general consensus is that something that adds or subtracts a value stacks but that if a value is set then it doesn't stack.

So Wyssan's gives +1 S, therefore it stacks. After all, it's a one time effect, first time you go from S3 to S4. Second time it's cast you are already S4 so you go to S5

In contrast, earth blood gives a 5+ regen save. This is a fixed value. So second time you cast it, the target unit will still only have a 5+ regen save.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Lantheya

#7 Post by Lantheya »

Prince of Spires wrote:If it is for a tournament then I would definitely check with the TO first, since they can very well have a different idea about the rules then we do.
And there is the main problem - it is GWs tournament... I contact them already before and they think the rules are pretty clear. Wait and see what they will answer on that.