Banner of Averlorn Question

Ask any rules specific questions here
Lorthemar

Banner of Averlorn Question

#1 Post by Lorthemar »

I'm wondering if the boosted version of spells like speed of light and pha's protection gets the +4 to cast bonus from the banner of averlorn if the unit is within that 12" bubble. I could argue this both ways so I'm really not sure. On the one hand, bubble spells don't have a specific target, so for the purposes of the banner bonus is not the target of the spell. On the opposing view that unit is a target of bubble spell even if the spell language doesn't say it's specifically targeted. I'm leaning towards the second argument but I just can't tell.
John Rainbow

Re: Banner of Averlorn Question

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I would say yes if the unit is affected. Not sure on a rulebook quote for it though same as you.
Darbog

#3 Post by Darbog »

The army book says: "cast by a friendly wizard that target a unit containing the Banner of Avelorn".
In my opinon a "bubble spell" doesn't target anything in particular and hence there should be no bonus.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

Darbog wrote:The army book says: "cast by a friendly wizard that target a unit containing the Banner of Avelorn".
In my opinon a "bubble spell" doesn't target anything in particular and hence there should be no bonus.
Bubble targets all friendly units within range. So yes banner of Avelorn works on bubble.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Darbog

#5 Post by Darbog »

pk-ng wrote:Bubble targets all friendly units within range. So yes banner of Avelorn works on bubble.
Some spells seems to say "affect all friendly units" and some say "target" instead. Would that make any difference?
Loriel

#6 Post by Loriel »

If we would play magic the gathering it would indeed make a difference ;). Warhammer sadly doesn't have as greatly written rules.

The way I would play this rules is to ask

"does spell from lore of life / light target this unit?" if answer is yes, give bonus to cast.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Lorthemar

#7 Post by Lorthemar »

So seems like the answer is GW isn't specific enough with their rules so there is no good answer. It will probably come down to a game by game basis depending on what my opponent thinks, as I'd certainly rather play it as you do get the +4 bonus for bubble spells.