Lothren Sea Helm

Ask any rules specific questions here
Baza

Lothren Sea Helm

#1 Post by Baza »

Can someone clarify the rules for this character please, for example if my unit of say 20 white lions with level 4 in 7x3 formation is charged, can I reform to a 3x7 formation, thus placing my level 4 out of the front rank?

I am mindful that in reforms you cant place a character out of combat if he was in combat, but can someone clarify when the reform takes place, before the charge hits or after.

Hope this makes sense.
"From darkness I cry for you
the tears you shed for us are the blood of Elven kind
O Isha, Here I stand on the last shore
a sword in my hand
Ulthuan shall never fall!"
Darbog

Re: Lothren Sea Helm

#2 Post by Darbog »

Baza wrote:I am mindful that in reforms you cant place a character out of combat if he was in combat, but can someone clarify when the reform takes place, before the charge hits or after.
The army book says that you can attempt to make a reform after your opponent has moved his all of his charging units.
wisetiger7

#3 Post by wisetiger7 »

The Sea Helm's Naval Discipline rule states: If a unit... is successfully charged during the Movement phase, it can attempt to change formation immediately after your opponent has moved all of his charging units. To do so, the unit must take a Leadership test. If the test is passed, the Sea Helm's unit can immediately make a combat reform as described on page 55 of the Warhammer rulebook.

Page 55 of the rulebook states: The most common usage of a combat reform is to allow the unit to turn to face its enemy (if attacked in the flank or rear), although it can also be used to bring more models into the fight by increasing the unit's frontage. There is one special restriction on a combat reform, however - it cannot be used to get a model (friend or foe) out of base contact with the enemy if it was in contact before the reform was made. The model can be in base contact with a different enemy at the end of the reform if you wish.

So this states that you make the combat reform after charging units have moved, hence they are in contact with you. Then you make the combat reform. If your wizard is in contact prior to the reform, it must remain in contact. Best thing to do is to make the frontage so big that the mage is on the one corner or the other of the front rank so that only the corner of his base is touching an enemy, limiting the number of attacks coming at him.

Also note that if you are charged on two or more sides, you cannot make a combat reform.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

The others are correct. You can move the unit around but not the characters out of B2B. I would start the WL in 3x7 and then have the mage in the 2nd rank. Then when you get charged you can go wide and put him out of harms way on the flank.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

You could also move the mage (and the Sea Helm for that matter) out of contact with a powerful enemy character this way.
Count

#6 Post by Count »

So conga line unit (WL) after naval discipline reform is illegal?
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Count wrote:So conga line unit (WL) after naval discipline reform is illegal?
yes
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support