Does destroying fleeing units cause unsaved wound?

Ask any rules specific questions here
Sinsigel

Does destroying fleeing units cause unsaved wound?

#1 Post by Sinsigel »

Me and my friend had a game yesterday. His list was nurgle heavy list with epidemius.
Depending on how much unsaved wounds the daemons of nurgle cause, epidemius grants substantial bonus to nurgle units.

Now, during the daemons' first turn, a beast of nurgle charges my reaver unit.
The reavers promptly flee, but rolled low and was caught, and destroyed by the beast.
My friend then opted to count these casualties towards epidemius' tally, but then I objected.

My logic was that althought the unit was destroyed, technically there were no 'wounds' caused as in shooting or close combat.
He simply agreed and carried on. But I kept reminding this issue even after the game ended.
Do fleeing units destroyed by pursuit cause unsaved wounds or not? If so, which part in the BRB supports it?
Ladril Caledor

Re: Does destroying fleeing units cause unsaved wound?

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I'd say no, for rules both 'as written' and 'as intended'. The rule book does not specifically say that there are any wounds caused in this case. Same thing if a unit flees off the table. I'd also say that, in the case of spells like Dwellers and Transmutation, no 'wounds' are caused either. It's only a wound if the rules definitely say it's a wound.
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

not by RAW. They are simple destroyed. There is also "fluffy note" that we can consider that the fleeing unit that is caught doesn't necessarely mean that they all are killed, but their morale has beeing utterly devastated and even while some single fighters might stand up they cannot do anything of worth.

If you want to go really rule berzerk then you can argue also that killing blows doesn't cause wounds that would trigger any of that kind of effects and you could even kill ethereal with mundane killing blow. (this was little provoke ;) )
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Eirik

#4 Post by Eirik »

No wounds are caused.

Similarly, if a flame phoenix is caught while fleeing, it doesn't get a chance to come back from the dead, as the effect only happens if its last wound is removed.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011