Alith and piecing ranks

Ask any rules specific questions here
Dragon fire

Alith and piecing ranks

#1 Post by Dragon fire »

Hi
I was wondering how the piercing ranks worked for Alith since he now shoots together with the rest of the unit.
Let's say that he shoots together with a reaver bow noble against a unit of Skullcrusher. The reaver bow delivers 1 wound after saves and Alith delivers 2. Is the bolt from alith's bow then allowed to pierce the rank?
John Rainbow

Re: Alith and piecing ranks

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Gut feeling is yes but I'll get back to you later when I have my rulebook handy.
theviking

#3 Post by theviking »

I don't think shooting is simultaneous like combat, it happens as it happens except that all models in a unit needs to shoot before another does. You could ping off a wound with the reaver bow, then another one with shadow warriors, then a third with Alith. Then his bolt goes on and does another wound, and then you hit with an RBT and do two more and pierce another rank, etc. Unless I'm rolling the dice, in which case no wounds would be dealt.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

theviking wrote:I don't think shooting is simultaneous like combat, it happens as it happens except that all models in a unit needs to shoot before another does. You could ping off a wound with the reaver bow, then another one with shadow warriors, then a third with Alith. Then his bolt goes on and does another wound, and then you hit with an RBT and do two more and pierce another rank, etc. Unless I'm rolling the dice, in which case no wounds would be dealt.
Shooting from the same unit is simultaneous, it is not sequential. Shooting RBT then say shadow warriors with noble reaver bow with alith is fine this part is sequential.
Dragon fire wrote:Hi
I was wondering how the piercing ranks worked for Alith since he now shoots together with the rest of the unit.
Let's say that he shoots together with a reaver bow noble against a unit of Skullcrusher. The reaver bow delivers 1 wound after saves and Alith delivers 2. Is the bolt from alith's bow then allowed to pierce the rank?
yes it would pierce rank as it is a bolt thrower type weapon. The question is how do you allocate the wounds since shooting from the same unit is simultaneous. I would probably agree that you can allocate the wounds sequentially but i'm not 100% sure.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
theviking

#5 Post by theviking »

pk-ng wrote:Shooting from the same unit is simultaneous, it is not sequential.
I stand corrected.
pk-ng wrote:yes it would pierce rank as it is a bolt thrower type weapon. The question is how do you allocate the wounds since shooting from the same unit is simultaneous. I would probably agree that you can allocate the wounds sequentially but i'm not 100% sure.
Reading through the shooting section again just now makes me think the initial wounds are all applied at the same time. So we tally up the wounds and remove casualties from the unit. Assuming we did enough wounds to take off a model Alith's shot will continue into the next rank, and so forth until it stops killing models.
Count

#6 Post by Count »

Maybe randomize wounds from different sources.
Grenic

#7 Post by Grenic »

As the shooting from the unit is simultaneous, I believe you get to choose the order that you resolve it as it's your turn.

Refer to the sequencing rule on, I think, page 10.

So if you chose to have Alith's shot resolved last, then it would pass through to the next rank.
Andros123

#8 Post by Andros123 »

Can he also shoot through ranks of skirmishers?
theviking

#9 Post by theviking »

Skirmishers don't have ranks.
Count

#10 Post by Count »

BTW in part "Skirmishers and charging" several times mentioned skirmisher ranks. They have 0 ranks for combat resolution purposes.
But do they have files? :)
theviking

#11 Post by theviking »

Sort of. Over in the light troops paragraph it says skirmishers always count as having 0 ranks. Logically, (lol, this is GW we are talking about here) if there are 0 ranks there can't be any files either. The models are physically arranged in ranks and files like any other warhammer unit, but for game purposes they are considered to have 0 ranks (and presumably 0 files).
pk-ng

#12 Post by pk-ng »

theviking wrote:Sort of. Over in the light troops paragraph it says skirmishers always count as having 0 ranks. Logically, (lol, this is GW we are talking about here) if there are 0 ranks there can't be any files either. The models are physically arranged in ranks and files like any other warhammer unit, but for game purposes they are considered to have 0 ranks (and presumably 0 files).
+1
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Andros123

#13 Post by Andros123 »

Sort of. Over in the light troops paragraph it says skirmishers always count as having 0 ranks. Logically, (lol, this is GW we are talking about here) if there are 0 ranks there can't be any files either. The models are physically arranged in ranks and files like any other warhammer unit, but for game purposes they are considered to have 0 ranks (and presumably 0 files).
I actually just found this in the warhammer rulebook FAQ from GW:

- Page 77 – Special Rules, Skirmishers, Light Troops. Change “[...]zero ranks[...]” to “[...]zero ranks in combat[...]”.

So it would seem that you can pierce through ranks of skirmishers.
Count

#14 Post by Count »

If skirmishers have 0 ranks then they should not be able to fight from second and third (for HE) ranks. Probably they cant even fight in melee at all because they have 0 ranks and have no frist rank :lol:
Razzy Mac

#15 Post by Razzy Mac »

Count wrote:If skirmishers have 0 ranks then they should not be able to fight from second and third (for HE) ranks. Probably they cant even fight in melee at all because they have 0 ranks and have no frist rank :lol:
:lol: RAW taken to its logical extreme
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining