Can you WBW a character out of a unit?

Ask any rules specific questions here
Razzy Mac

Can you WBW a character out of a unit?

#1 Post by Razzy Mac »

I presume so, seeing as that happens during remaining moves. Then again, if a character is part of a unit, can he be targeted by the spell as an individual? Can a mage target himself with walk between worlds to get himself out of a hairy situation?
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
Loriel

Re: Can you WBW a character out of a unit?

#2 Post by Loriel »

good question. Just out of my head I would say no you cannot, but this is naturally similar question that are you allowed to do reform, enter building etc.

I think you cannot separately target the character in unit as per se (so that is not possible since it targets entire unit) but then when the unit has 10 inch allowance to move why wouldn't you be able use that movement to move characters out of the unit, and even move the unit the full 10 inch. This would lead up one niche tactic for high magic. ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I would say no.

WBW targets the unit as a whole. Which then means that the unit as a whole moves. The character as an individual isn't the target of the spell.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

"the spell targets a single unengaged unit"
so the answer is: no you cannot target a character in a unit.
If the mage is by himself and not in a unit they you can target him.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

That is clear that spell cannot target characters that have joined unit. But that is not the rule issue here. The thing is that how do we consider what does

Walk between Worlds
"the target can immediately move up to 10'' as if it were remaining moves sub phase"

+

Page 101 on BRB - Leaving unit
"Alternatively, a character can leave his unit during the Remaining Moves sub-phase by moving away from the unit before that unit makes its own move. If the unit cannot move in this phase for any reason, the character may not leave the unit"

interract with each other. If players / tournament would allow reform done with this move (and other similar spells like dance macabre / desert winds) there shouldn't be any reason why this trick coudn't be done also.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Loriel wrote:That is clear that spell cannot target characters that have joined unit. But that is not the rule issue here. The thing is that how do we consider what does

Walk between Worlds
"the target can immediately move up to 10'' as if it were remaining moves sub phase"

+

Page 101 on BRB - Leaving unit
"Alternatively, a character can leave his unit during the Remaining Moves sub-phase by moving away from the unit before that unit makes its own move. If the unit cannot move in this phase for any reason, the character may not leave the unit"

interract with each other. If players / tournament would allow reform done with this move (and other similar spells like dance macabre / desert winds) there shouldn't be any reason why this trick coudn't be done also.
Interesting. I know for a fact that ETC doesn't allow reform for WBW. Not sure about other tournaments.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support