Creating a HE FAQ questions list

Ask any rules specific questions here
Eltherion

Re: Creating a HE FAQ questions list

#31 Post by Eltherion »

Can the Star Lance be used by Mounted unit Champions? eg: Drakemaster
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
GhostWarrior

#32 Post by GhostWarrior »

Does a unit with the Banner of the World Dragon get to take it's 2+ Ward Save against wounds caused by Dangerous Terrain Tests while under the effects of the Curse of Anraheir?
pk-ng

#33 Post by pk-ng »

GhostWarrior wrote:Does a unit with the Banner of the World Dragon get to take it's 2+ Ward Save against wounds caused by Dangerous Terrain Tests while under the effects of the Curse of Anraheir?
No. It causes the unit to take a DT test. DT test doesn't do magical attacks/hits
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Thundrblade

#34 Post by Thundrblade »

Do phoenix guard attack first and get rerolls to hit vs white lions or sword masters (who also technically have the ASF rule)?
Althran Stormrider

#35 Post by Althran Stormrider »

Just to answer one of the questions on the list:
The Shield of the Merwyrm rule states this: Unless he is fighting with a weapon that has the Requires Two Hands rule, he gets a 4+ Parry Save. Therefor, whatever you are using, you get the save, unless it Requires Two Hands.
feedm3

#36 Post by feedm3 »

Another question here!

I do not have my HE book at hand so can't quote the rule exactly but i think you'll get my point.
HE mages have a special rule that gives +1 to all casting attempts from the lore of High Magic, I think its called Lileaths Blessing?

If you read it RAW you can interpret it as if you had let say, 2x lvl 1 mages, using random lores as fire and heavens, they would still each add +1 to all casts using high magic, regardless if it's themselves who cast it or someone else. Then you add your archmage lvl4 with high magic, so that he would get 7+ to cast. 3+ (one from each of the casters) and 4+ for his wizard lvls.

IMO this is not what they intended, but intended or not, not everyone agrees and it would be nice to have a ruling on it.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#37 Post by Domine Nox »

feedm3 wrote:Another question here!

I do not have my HE book at hand so can't quote the rule exactly but i think you'll get my point.
HE mages have a special rule that gives +1 to all casting attempts from the lore of High Magic, I think its called Lileaths Blessing?

If you read it RAW you can interpret it as if you had let say, 2x lvl 1 mages, using random lores as fire and heavens, they would still each add +1 to all casts using high magic, regardless if it's themselves who cast it or someone else. Then you add your archmage lvl4 with high magic, so that he would get 7+ to cast. 3+ (one from each of the casters) and 4+ for his wizard lvls.

IMO this is not what they intended, but intended or not, not everyone agrees and it would be nice to have a ruling on it.
It says "Models with this special rule add +1 to all attempts to cast spells from the Lore of High magic" they do not grant +1, they add. Wizards add their wizard level to attempts to cast, but that doesn't carry over to other wizards in the army.

BRB pg 32 "The results are then added together, and then added to the casting Wizard's level to give a casting result." The terminology is consistent with that use in the rule book. So if Lileath's Blessing gives +1 to all High magic casters then by the same token a Level 3 Wizard gives +3 to every caster in your army, which we know is not the case. I do not see a problem here.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
wisetiger7

#38 Post by wisetiger7 »

Domine Nox wrote:It says "Models with this special rule add +1 to all attempts to cast spells from the Lore of High magic" they do not grant +1, they add. Wizards add their wizard level to attempts to cast, but that doesn't carry over to other wizards in the army.

BRB pg 32 "The results are then added together, and then added to the casting Wizard's level to give a casting result." The terminology is consistent with that use in the rule book. So if Lileath's Blessing gives +1 to all High magic casters then by the same token a Level 3 Wizard gives +3 to every caster in your army, which we know is not the case. I do not see a problem here.
What?! I'm confused. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's what feedm3 was asking. He wasn't talking about adding +1 from wizard levels to other wizards, just the +1 bonus from Lileath's Blessing. L1 Fire and L1 Heavens grant a L4 High +1 each to cast spells from the Lore of High Magic because of Lileath's Blessing, not their wizard levels. Same if they were both L2s. So the L4 would add +4 for his levels, +1 for Lileath's Blessing that he has, then +1 for each of the L1s for their Lileath's Blessings, totaling in +7 to cast.

There obviously IS a problem because the best of us could not come to a conclusion after 4 pages of discussion, other than GW needs to write a FAQ.
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... it=lileath
And if I recall, you actually argued FOR stacking if I'm correct. Which I absolutely agree with you Dom. But people's interpretations of GW's intentions come about and they can't believe the in the rules until clarifications occur through FAQs.
Domine Nox wrote:That interpretation would certianly give High more credence, and it would explain why so many ETC lists had multiple mages.
Domine Nox wrote:I would not be surprised if this was intentional. As that would allow High Magic mages to compete against the power dice generation races solely with our lore. Since it doesn't help the Lore Master at all, it would seem to be a valid mechanic and if justified will push me back to trying more High magic centric builds.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#39 Post by Domine Nox »

I know. I was using an example of the same terminology used elsewhere.

Wizards add their wizard level.
Models with Lileaths Blessing add 1.

They are both additions to casting, and should seemingly then work the same way. Granted in the end that is an interpretation and those count for little these day.

And in point of fact originally I did not support the stacking idea, then as it gained in speculation I did side with the possibility. However I have never played it that way, and have in point of fact fallen in with the non-staxkimg approach.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Loriel

#40 Post by Loriel »

Here is a list that I feel should be added to compilation list

- Lileath blessing stack or not?
- Shield of Saphery + ironcurse icon (for example, or swordmasters 6+ save vs. shooting) do you only receive +1 to your ward vs. wm/shooting and no 6+ ward. (wording is pretty steep on this one and in RAW it cannot be read anyother way)
- Forbidden rod -> magical attack + BoTWD (not a hard for me to reason that it is, but still to end arguments about the matter)
- Walk between the worlds + Reforming / entering building
- Banner of avelorn + bubble light spells (to get definite answer)
- ASF + ASL vs. ASF (do the attackers get rerolls) to end this rather annoying discussion
- double ASF + ASL (example birona + white lion / swordmasters) or double asl asl asf (executioners + frosthearth phoenix)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame