List for 1850 comped tourney

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eirik

List for 1850 comped tourney

#1 Post by Eirik »

Hey guys, I'm participating in a tourney next weekend
Comp is supposed to encourage troop armies over monster/herohammer, and encourage fun lists.
~10 ppl, prizes to top 3
Looking for general advice on how best to use this list.
PG with razor banner and high archmage for the center, archers/cav/bolt-thrower for a little punch, white lions with flaming for anti-monster.

Tourney Rules
3 games
No End Times
No duplicate rare
Up to 15 points for wins (5 per win, 2.5 per tie)
Up to 3 points for being rated 'Best Opponent' (one per match)
Up to 1 point for having best painted army
From +5 to -5 points for comp

Comp
All items stack
>30% core: +1 point
> 40% core: +1 point
<30% heroes/lords combined: +1 point
<2 rare choices: +1 point
<3 special choices: +1 point

>30% special: -1 point
> 40% special: -1 point
>20% lords: -1 point
>20% heroes: -1 point
>40% lords/heroes: -1 point
>2 rares: -1 point

My List
+5 points for comp
Archmage (General, L4, High magic, Scroll, 4+ ward) - 290
(intended to deploy in PG, may deploy in archers against a death star)
Noble (BSB, Barded steed, Dragon armor, enchanted shield, ogre blade, luckstone, longbow) - 175
(noble can deploy with PG if I'm not afraid of war machines, or in silver helms if I am)

20 Archers (Full Command) - 230
16 Archers (Musician) - 170
5 Ellyrian Reavers (Spears and bows, musician) - 105
5 Silver Helms (standard, musician) - 135
5 Silver Helms (musician) - 125
19 Phoenix Guard (Full command, Razor Standard) - 360
12 White Lions (Champion, Banner of Eternal Flame) - 186

Bolt Thrower - 70
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Rabidnid

Re: List for 1850 comped tourney

#2 Post by Rabidnid »

I would, run more silver helms and less archers, but that's just me.

Have you thought about a LM rather than lvl 4? Even if you treat him like a mage the spell selection is really helpful. Tricked out he can be a useful combat character as well. ToP, scroll and sword of antiheros works, or SoM and dragonhelm.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Eirik

#3 Post by Eirik »

Thanks. I agree that more helms in this list would probably be stronger, I'm limited mostly by model numbers here.

Loremaster is tons of fun. I love the versatility of the spells. But it is blasphemous to suggest that she ever use any weapon but her greatsword :). It takes centuries of martial mastery to be capable of using that weapon in combat (though you would never guess this from reading our unit stats...) I think I would run Book if I took an LM, to make up for having only L2 magic. And yeah, definitely ToP.

In this case I'm taking the high archmage in the phoenix guard to buff their ward save up to a 3+. Not confident that it's a better strategy than what you've suggested, I'm just trying it out because it's an interesting build I've seen and want to play.

I'll be avoiding sword of antiheroes since this is an 1850 tourny with comp that punishes taking multiple characters.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Rabidnid

#4 Post by Rabidnid »

Eirik wrote:Thanks. I agree that more helms in this list would probably be stronger, I'm limited mostly by model numbers here.

Loremaster is tons of fun. I love the versatility of the spells. But it is blasphemous to suggest that she ever use any weapon but her greatsword :). It takes centuries of martial mastery to be capable of using that weapon in combat (though you would never guess this from reading our unit stats...) I think I would run Book if I took an LM, to make up for having only L2 magic. And yeah, definitely ToP.

In this case I'm taking the high archmage in the phoenix guard to buff their ward save up to a 3+. Not confident that it's a better strategy than what you've suggested, I'm just trying it out because it's an interesting build I've seen and want to play.

I'll be avoiding sword of antiheroes since this is an 1850 tourny with comp that punishes taking multiple characters.
The re-rolls are nice, but the free S-6 is also cool. I usually run Swedish, so I never consider the book as its just not worth the comp points. I've only just started using the BotWD because it messes with Skaven and VC so badly.
"Luck is the residue of design"