Toy List, but it needs thought.....2500 list

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tarval

Toy List, but it needs thought.....2500 list

#1 Post by Tarval »

LORDS-320

Archmage lvl 4, book of Hoeth, Talism of pres---320

HEROS-596

Noble, Dragon armour, great weapon, shield, Moranions Waystone-136
Gives a ward save and a basic save of 4+, unless you can think of a better combo.

Noble, Shadow armour, plus 25 plus magic, great weapon, shield, lions cloak-130
I stil have 25 points to spend, xtra gear, etc open to discussion

BSB noble, armour of destiney, lions cloak, shield, great weapon, long bow-160
+4/+4-shooting 2+/4+

mage lvl 2, dispel scroll, Khaines ring of fury-170
I added the ring for fury to get a bonus ward save depending on placement

TROOPS-628

30X spearmen, FC, Banner of Swiftness-318

12x archers, mus, ban-140

14x archers, mus, ban, banner of eternal flame-170

SPECIAL-70

5X shadow warriors-70

RARE-120

Eagle, swiftsense-60

Eagle, swiftsense-60

This still leaves me with collecting the tuff section of this army, 750 points to play with...

Over all I feel the army is lacking a punch, but this can be addressed with 750 points..

Please see thoughts on the Waystone here http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=68852
Horillion

Re: Toy List, but it needs thought.....2500 list

#2 Post by Horillion »

whatever I write here are guidelines (so keep in mind that I can make mistakes too)
Tarval wrote: HEROS-596

Noble, Dragon armour, great weapon, shield, Moranions Waystone-136
Gives a ward save and a basic save of 4+, unless you can think of a better combo.

Noble, Shadow armour, plus 25 plus magic, great weapon, shield, lions cloak-130
I stil have 25 points to spend, xtra gear, etc open to discussion

BSB noble, armour of destiney, lions cloak, shield, great weapon, long bow-160
+4/+4-shooting 2+/4+

mage lvl 2, dispel scroll, Khaines ring of fury-170
I added the ring for fury to get a bonus ward save depending on placement
the combination of shield- great weapon is actually bad because you lose your parry safe.
I also see much nobles riding griffons, I tested this some times myself and their punch and even safes become better. (most of all to the fact they can bear lances)
Tarval wrote: 14x archers, mus, ban, banner of eternal flame-170
you made the mistake here of the magic standard because archers can't have a magic standard.

so 750pts for punch?

I recommend white lions
-> taking banner of the world dragon (then shooting at them with any weapon is almost immpossible to kill).
-> a chosen of asuryan and/or a lvl 4 high mage can make them more difficult to kill.

the phoenix guard are an option too with razor standard they can deal some damage but not as much as white lions
-> the phoenix quard are thougher on their own (with their 4+ ward safe)

some bolt throwers can also be helpfull

also dragon princes and silver helms can be great (but with a lvl4 high mage they are even better)
PGP

#3 Post by PGP »

Mages are quite optimum. Play lvl4 high and lvl2 metal. Nobles are really really bad geared. They die fast. Take the wayshard to prince and fit him also merwyrm shield, sword of might and crown of alc. Bsb should be all that is left from nobles, preferably mounted. Shadow armor is a bad item, take a flying mount instead if you want the char operate behind lines. Wayshard asks for cavalry and flyers to support. So something like

P, ha, wayshard, Sw. Of might, merw. Shield, crown of alc.
Lvl4 high, BoH, tal of pres.
Noble, ha, barded steed, pot. Of strength, star lance. Enc. Shield.
Noble, bsb, ha, barded steed, ogre blade, dragon helm
Lvl 2 metal, d.scroll, ring of fury
30 spears, fc, banner of swift
2x14 archers, mus
2x6-7 dp, champ, sb, botwd and banner of eternal flame
2 eagles
Bolters

Maybe some small musician swordmasters in addition or replacing non-bsb noble. It is still quite bad, wayshard is just not that optimal.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I think you need a bit more focus in the list and then it might be easier to put in the extra 750pts. At the moment you have a bit of everything and it doesn't really look like there is a clear goal in mind with the list.
Tarval

#5 Post by Tarval »

Horillion

Thanks for pointing out the magic banner on the archers. I just picked up the new book and in the old one we could have it. More less added what I thought before reading.

In the old ed I found the noble with a great weapon a hacking machine vs weak willed troop. The only reason I gave them shields was to defect ranged bow fire before they got into hth.

PGP

lvl 4 was going to run high and the lvl two as well. I was thinking about giving him the ring to add another ward save to his unit. I have not played a game under the new ED for our codex. So opting to take something else might be a better buy. Then again have the lvl two helped me select spells for my lvl four. I really want walk between worlds for the spears... Nice xtra movement to push them deeper into a side of a unit.

The shadow armour was so that I could place another noble in the unit of spear men. Once the unit arrived, I could then move the spear unit up. Then in the movement phase bring the other noble over from the shadow unit to join up giving me two sorta hard hitting nobles in that unit. I know the unit seems weak but I was trying to max out the idea and ill do some more digging on the thought.

So far I am just wracking my head around the wayshard and seeing how I can add a punch to it.

John Rainbow,

As always thank for adding input, ill see what I can score up and post a full list below.

Thanks

Tarval, Prince Saliths army