MSU Teclis List - ETC

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

MSU Teclis List - ETC

#1 Post by Andros123 »

Hi folks.

So I've been testing Teclis under the ETC restrictions recently. Basically the only thing you need to know is that I can't take Teclis and the banner of the world dragon in the same army. Teclis is 4 out of the 5 choices, which basically leaves me with a choice between spending the last choice on 4 bolt throwers or a frost heart.
After making a million lists and tried some of them, I find the evolution of the list pointing in a MSU direction. Remember I can choose my spells after seeing my opponents army.

Lords
Teclis

Heroes
Noble BSB - Reaver bow, Potions of strength
Noble on a eagle - heavy armour, enchanted shiel, golden crown of atrazar, potion of foolhardiness
lvl. 1 light mage - scroll
lvl. 1 lige mage - Obsidian lodestone

Core
22 archers w. musician
2x6 silver helm darts w. banner (for blood and glory)
5 Reavers w. spears and bows

Special
6 Shadow warriors
10 white lions
5 Dragon princes w. flaming banner

Rare
4xbolt throwers
10 sisters of Avelorn

The list shoots very well and have some good elements for counter charges, or at least holding the enemy at bay. This is not the most competitive build HE can make under the ETC, but I'm trying to see what I can do with Teclis.
I'm not sure if it is worth having those light mages. It is a very expensive way to get that s6 banishment, however it provides me with an additional scroll, which is always nice.
I might add that my experience with a MSU kind of list is very limited, so I would really appreciate some advice :).

Thank you
SteVieBizzLe

Re: MSU Teclis List - ETC

#2 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

The only trouble is like most Teclis builds you are relying on him to do pretty much ALL the heavy lifting, I would keep the light mages in there Banishment is a great threat to make sure you can push through the other spells.

The list looks OK, not sure about the Eagle noble, I get why he is there and I have tried so many times to get him to work but I always finds he disappoints. That is just my opinion though.

I am looking at Teclis lists myself for ETC and finding myself looking at sister stars with handmaiden and Teclis.

My list, somewhat similar is:

Teclis
Handmaiden with RB&PoS
Noble with MR3 and BSB
Lvl 1 light with scroll
Lvl 1 light
21 Archers fc
6 Shelms with shield banner and muso (x2)
5 Reavers with spears
6 Shadow Warriors
10 White lions with champion
4 RBT's
22 Sisters of Avelorn

Plenty of pew pew and magic with hopefully enough chaff to keep the threats away long enough
Andros123

#3 Post by Andros123 »

Hey Stevie.

Thanks for your reply.

I like your list. It has more shooting than mine, but I think you'll miss some kind of counter charges. I mean, how are you stopping your opponents from rushing you? I don't have that much experience with Teclis, so take this for what it is. I just like to have some elements (dragon princes, eagle noble and silver helm dart), that at least can threaten the advance of the enemy. I've even considered a lion chariot :) .
Have you tried playing your list? I would love to hear how 22 sister of Avelorn are doing on the battlefield with the magic support Teclis can provide :D .

You are right about Teclis needs to do ALL the heavy lifting, which is a real weakness. If you get a round of low winds or he fails to cast a spell you are not really doing anything that turn. I tried to see if I could make a more offensive list with him, but it sort of always comes down to him not wanting to be in close combat. Do you think he could be viable in a offensive list, or is it just a gun line that would work?
SteVieBizzLe

#4 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

I have played the list a few times and you would be surprised, there is enough there to keep the opponent away, 2 helm darts, shadow warriors, reavers and stubborn white lions with a champ can hold a unit for a few rounds.

The sisters with the handmaiden and teclis are just awesome, look for spells like enchanted blades, flaming sword, soul blight and they just shred units and you can always sit on dwellers for big units and mindrazor if anything gets too close. Savage beasts is also fun on the handmaiden :) I have had them take off a unit of 10 Inner Circle knights in a single volley, 7 chaos knights, 8 wounds on a 4 man skullcrusher unit, kill 6 out of 8 Ironguts, you only need a couple or even 1 spell and they cause an amazing amount of damage. Having quick to fire from the handmaiden helps tremendously.

I don't think Teclis can work in an offensive list, he is far too fragile to even consider being closer than 24", maybe if you could get a mount for him but on foot its not really viable.

Teclis is the ultimate glass cannon, but he is fun to use.