2400 Light Council with Undeath support....

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jhaantikaal

2400 Light Council with Undeath support....

#1 Post by Jhaantikaal »

Looking to use something quite different for what will probably be my last 8th ed tournament. No interest in winning it, just want to throw a curve ball. Lore of undeath is in.

Light council and shooty tactics are as usual but with extra speedbumbs and Undead shooting support.

Archmage lvl4
General
Book of Hoeth
MR 3 (can use Mr vs the 'big' spells)
Light

Archmage lvl 4
Undeath

Noble BSB
Longbow heavy armour
Sword of Might, shield of merwyrm

Mage
Forbidden rod
Light

Handmaiden
Reaver bow, pos

21 Archers Mus x 2

5 Reavers x 2

28 White Lions
Fc, BotWD

4 bolt throwers

9 sisters

Will attempt to raise Liche Priests with lore of light early on, along with casket. Also hope to raise hexwraiths early doors if there's little magic missiles in the opposing army.
Then speed bump with hosts, skeletons and archers.

Thoughts??
Follow me on Twitter @DMashford
Rabidnid

Re: 2400 Light Council with Undeath support....

#2 Post by Rabidnid »

Too many characters and too many magic levels I suspect. I'd probably drop the light mage to a loremaster and the lvl 1 for more troops. You can stick the LM in the white lions then for S-7, T-4 lions or 5+ regen.
"Luck is the residue of design"
SteVieBizzLe

#3 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

Lets be realistic, your lvl 4 light is going to be throwing banishment, almost exclusively. The book should be on the Undeath dude so he can force through those all important raise spells when you need them.

Drop the maiden and put her kit on the BSB, that unit of sisters isn't big enough to truly benefit from her buff.

Drop one of those units of archers as well to get some small Shelm darts in there (6 with shields) your list is full of fragile stuff and if you cant reliably raise stuff you will need some more redirectors. Also they are good for clearing up small units themselves.

Looks pretty good though, want to try Undeath magic myself, on my Archmage on Star Dragon...
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#4 Post by Axiem »

For a Coven, you have most of the elements included, except the Frostheart which I think you desperately need. I don't see any value of the Handmaiden and Sisters here (the unit is too small to justify the points), so I would look here for points. An Eagle also wouldn't go amiss.

Give the BSB the Reaver Bow instead of SoM if you want the extra shooting. IMO however, Sword of Anti-Heroes is far more useful, especially if you aren't taking a Loremaster in the Coven.

I agree that a unit of Helms would be better than the second unit of Archers. I'd recommend either 2 x 5 Reavers, 7 Helms, 24ish Archers or 3 x 5 Helms + Archers. The multiple units of bows doesn't really give you much over Bolt Throwers, and you'd be better off with additional board control.
Lets be realistic, your lvl 4 light is going to be throwing banishment, almost exclusively. The book should be on the Undeath dude so he can force through those all important raise spells when you need them.
This isn't how you play a Coven. The level four with Light is often one-dicing spells with the book, and the other caster (typically Loremaster) is using most of the dice. Banishment is usually 2-3 diced as a threat; the enemy has to pick between dispelling it and allowing 2-3 buffs through, or eating the damage and stopping the buffs. Pre-combat, this is most apparent when the spell split is Banishment + Searing Doom + Spirit Leech; with Undeath, this will look like Banishment + Raze + Raze. In combat, what was Pha's, Timewarp, Speed/Earthblood, Iceshard will be Pha's, Speed, Raze, Raze. While there are circumstances where 6-dicing makes sense, the second caster is only justified if you're using 2+ spells from him a turn, in addition to 2-3 from your primary caster. This is where Book really shines.

Axiem