2000 High Elf dragon close combat

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

hhow3859

2000 High Elf dragon close combat

#1 Post by hhow3859 »

Hi all,

I know everybody bashes on the dragon's effectiveness, but I really want to build a 2000 point list with him. I don't care which flavor of dragon. For this list, I have made him a moon dragon. The mage will go in the Phoenix Guard unit. The idea is that everybody rushes to get in combat as soon as possible.

Please be harsh. I want to win games. Aside from just army composition suggestions, comments on tactics would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Prince on Moon Dragon
- great weapon
- golden crown
- enchanted shield
- potion of strength

Mage of High Magic
- level 2
- dispel scroll
- channeling staff

18 Silverhelms
- standard bearer
- shields

5 Reavers
- bows

2 lion chariots

Eagle
- talons

5 Dragon Princes

25 Phoenix Guard
- champion
- banner
Loriel

Re: 2000 High Elf dragon close combat

#2 Post by Loriel »

I would probably take charmed shield for prince instead to fend of cannon ball.

As I said to your infantry list I haven't personally found chariots to be that good, so I would probaby leave them off.

If you want to win then frosthearth phoenix is one of the strongest choices we have in our list. It would serve as another major target for your opponents cannons and magic.

If you are playing with 25% character allowance then I understand the moon dragon, but if not Star Dragon is simple tons better.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

Re: 2000 High Elf dragon close combat

#3 Post by Axiem »

Please be harsh. I want to win games. Aside from just army composition suggestions, comments on tactics would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!
1) Prince's kit is wrong. Great weapon hurts him a lot because it removes his re-rolls. He either needs Ogre Blade, Star Lance, or if you're keeping it cheap, a basic lance. The most important thing is a ward save. I would recommend Talisman of Preservation, but Golden Crown is ok. Star Dragon is much better than a Moon, so if you can find the points, I would take it. Consider the following:

Prince, General, on Star Dragon, Lance, Dragon Armor, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Foolhardiness

2) Mage cannot have to arcane items. Take the scroll and leave the staff at home.

3) You absolutely need a BSB. Since you're taking a Dragon and Helms, I would recommend Banner of the World Dragon as well.

Noble, BSB, on Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield, Lance, Banner of the World Dragon

4) Helms need Full Command, not just a banner.

5) Lion Chariots, Dragon Princes, and potentially even the Eagle and Phoenix Guard. I would drop the first three, take a BSB and Bolt Throwers. You need a shooting element to help clear chaff, especially if you want to take both Phoenix Guard and Helms.

6) Phoenix Guard need Razor Standard.

In keeping with your army's theme, I would recommend the following:

Prince, General, on Star Dragon, Lance, Heavy Armor, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Foolhardiness, 577
Noble, BSB, on Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield, Lance, Banner of the World Dragon, 176
Mage, Level Two, Lore of High Magic, Dispel Scroll, 145

18 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command, 444
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bows, 85

23 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard, 420

2 x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 140

TOTAL: 1987

Points might be off just a bit, but I've left you some to play with. If you don't take the Star Dragon, take a third Bolt Thrower instead of Chariots / Dragon Princes.

Also, worth noting if you're really focusing on power gaming, you'll want to drop the Phoenix Guard entirely for a second mounted Noble, a Frostheart Phoenix, and more Bolt Throwers. Phoenix Guard are a good option however, and will help especially as you get a feel for the army.

Hope that helps!

Axiem