2000 High Elf Tournament infantry combat

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

hhow3859

2000 High Elf Tournament infantry combat

#1 Post by hhow3859 »

Hi all.

This is my close combat infantry High Elf army. Please be harsh. I want to win games. My local store is 25% Warriors of Chaos, no Dark Elves and no Wood Elves.

I'm thinking the Archmage will go with the Phoenix Guard. Not sure where the Noble should go. Right now, I'm thinking he'll go with the White Lions. Thanks for your help!

Archmage
- shadow
- Book of Hoeth
- ironcurse icon
- golden crown

Noble
- BSB
- great weapon
- heavy armor
- lion cloak

30 White Lions
- banner of world dragon
- champion

35 Spears
- standard bearer

25 Spears
- standard bearer

Eagle

3 lion chariots

12 Phoenix Guard
- champion
Lady Phoenix

Re: 2000 High Elf Tournament infantry combat

#2 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Do you have the available points to change the 35x and 20x spearment to 2 units of 30 sea guard

I was reading an article the other day and for me it kinda hit me as obvious

A spearman costs 9 pts per model
Archers cost 10 points

Sea Guard with shield cost 12 points, however, they gain the bow that the spearmen lack and the shield lacking from the archers.

OK, you cant use a bow in close combat but in turn 1 and possibly 2 two you are gaining 60 S3 attacks, plus if they get charged they then gain another 30 S3 attacks, reforms from a 10x3 to a 5x6 formation and fight with spears in 3 ranks. All for an extra 90 points.

However, please bear in mind Im just a noob at this
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

to seaguard vs archer vs spearmen debate I (as well probably most ulthuan members) disagree on the subject. Plain archer can work almost identically in close combat and will do much better with extra 6 inch range.

Secondly only 20 strong unit would mean that for every wound you lose attack and after 5 wounds the extra cost for spear is nullified.

thirdly having bigger unit of seaguards mean that you first deploy them wide to have maximum shots and when CC nears, then go to deeper formation.

fourthly with seaguard you cannot go aggressively to middle with your other units such as phoenix guards / white lions that usually wants to hit close combat relatively soon. Having spearmen block as flank guard / steadfast deny purposes can be much more effective. Playing much more defensively list with heavy shooting orientation I think seaguard might be worth (still not) but barely worth the extra investment.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Loriel

#4 Post by Loriel »

I actually forgot to comment on the actual list.

[quote="hhow3859]I'm thinking the Archmage will go with the Phoenix Guard. Not sure where the Noble should go. Right now, I'm thinking he'll go with the White Lions. Thanks for your help!

Archmage
- shadow
- Book of Hoeth
- ironcurse icon
- golden crown[/quote]

in this instance if you place that archmage in to phoenix guard ironcurse icon is worth next to nothing (only giving the archmage 6+ ward as phoenix guard allready have plain 4+ ward. ''
hhow3859 wrote:Noble
- BSB
- great weapon
- heavy armor
- lion cloak
"

if you place the bsb inside the white lion lion cloak hardly gives you anything. There isn't too many sniper ruled shooters in the game, it would effect on template weapons but those tend to have high str (stone throwers / cannons). regular shooting will not hit your noble until your white lions would be reduced to less than 5 R&F models. In fluffy sense lion cloak is obvious the noble should also be white lion? ;) If you plan on charging the noble out of the unit some times, then it could be worthwhile.

Dragon armor in game mechanic sense simple as it gives 6+ ward and 2+ ward against flaming. with mere 2 point increase. I would also have that bsb with some extra protection. I have personally liked to kit bsb with crown, but even opal amulet etc might be worthwhile. allthough making him as cheap as possible isn't too bad idea but that usually needs to be on mount to get better armor save. with only 5+ armors save that noble will risk being dead by even regular r&f
hhow3859 wrote: 30 White Lions
- banner of world dragon
- champion
I take you have full command there. I would definately take the musician in this large unit for swift reforms / rally tests.
hhow3859 wrote:35 Spears
- standard bearer

25 Spears
- standard bearer
I would reavers and silver helms instead of spears. But if you don't own / want to have your core from infantry then I would make them even units with full commands. Also having only 1 unit to guard the flanks of your white lion block would be sufficient most cases and turning other into archers will probably give you much more impact on the game.
hhow3859 wrote:3 lion chariots
bold move, I have personally failed to make chariots work so in this perspective I don't never recommend using them. On fluffy chrace list this is fine ;)
hhow3859 wrote:12 Phoenix Guard
- champion
I have personal issues of making phoenix guard as glorified mage bunker. They are imo too great unit with 20 - 25 models full command and razor banner. If I would make shadow archmage I would probably place him inside archer unit instead and use bigger phoenix guard to support the white lion block advance. But the number of the unit is pretty good for the purpose of giving the mage enough protection against anyhting small and fast, and against most spells and shooting.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame