2000 High Elf Tournament Shooty

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

hhow3859

2000 High Elf Tournament Shooty

#1 Post by hhow3859 »

Hi all. First time posting.

I'm starting WFB and am building some options for 2000pt High Elf armies. This thread will be for my shooty army. Please be harsh. I want to win games.

All characters go in the massive seaguard unit. Aside from army composition suggestions, tactical tips would also be appreciated. My local store is about 25% Warriors of Chaos, no Dark Elves, no Wood Elves. Thanks guys!

Archmage
- shadow
- level 4
- Book of Hoeth
- golden crown

Mage
- high
- level 2
- dispel scroll
- ironcurse icon

Noble
- BSB
- Banner of World Dragon
- great weapon
- heavy armor
- lion cloak

60 Seaguard
- full command
- shields

4 bolt throwers

skycutter
- bolt thrower

Eagle
- swift

Tiranoc Chariot

Lion Chariot
Loriel

Re: 2000 High Elf Tournament Shooty

#2 Post by Loriel »

This would be fluffy list but I think this list would definately need reavers to stall your opponent early turns and use chariots to stall your opponent middle turns.

Such a big unit of seaguards would be easily countered by anything fast and with only str 3 they will really hard time fighting anything with better toughness or armor save. Unless you manage to use Okkams Mindrazor on them, but I wouldn't count on it too much.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Caledfwlch

Re: 2000 High Elf Tournament Shooty

#3 Post by Caledfwlch »

Agreed. From what I see here is that you build a massive anvil (LSGs) and bought yourself two hammers (chariots). In itself not a bad idea and with that BotWD BsB you don't have to worry too much about the unit getting ripped apart with magic, or with fleeing (although i'm not sure what will happen once LSGs are getting killed in combat). The flying boat and RBTs enable a certain amount of terrain dominance, which is a good thing too.

I like your Lords/Heroes choices and their equipment: you are likely to dominate the magic phase!

If I would use this list I would be worried about the lack of maneuvrability, it is an absolute necessity for you to have your units cooperate in order to take out enemy units quickly. I would say that a unit of Ellyrian Reavers helps you to pick the battles as you like them, and make sure that the chariots can get into position to flank-charge. Perhaps turning the LSG into a block of Spears + block of Archers is worth considering too, as this, together with the Reavers, flying-boat and chariots, substantially increases your terrain dominance.

Have you considered a phoenix yet? In my experience the bird really makes up its points. The Frostphoenix is expert in flanking and dealing with scary monsters (WS 6, 6S, 6T! -1 enemy S = Hallelujah!). Even those chaos warriors have a tough time dealing with the frotstphoenix. The flamephoenix enables you to deal with other corebased armies more easily (wake of fire). You could either drop the eagle + 2 RBTs or drop the eagle, 1 RBT and 1 chariot (swap eagle for ellyrians with bows) to get the necessary points.

Hope these thoughts help. Let us know how things go with your battles!