Noob needing help with a list

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

targetdg15

Noob needing help with a list

#1 Post by targetdg15 »

So I have been dabbling in fantasy for a month now with the HE side of IoB. A week ago a buddy paid me for helping him move in a massive amount of HE and bits. In fact, it's overwhelming! I'm looking for a fun build that is strong enough for me to stay in the game, but as I'm lost on where to start, I was hoping I could post the models I have and hopefully get some help.

I have:

2 dragons (riders unassembled )
2 mages
3 prince/ nobles on foot
2 prince / nobles on horses

10 sea guard
30 spearmen
18 or so archers
5 Reavers

30 swordmasters
30 white lions
2 lion chariots
15 dragon princes

2 bolt throwers.

I really want to use one of the dragons, but what would compliment him is a mystery to me lol. If anyone has any help I would really appreciate it! I look forward to using the list I make up here in several battle reports, thanks all!
Loriel

Re: Noob needing help with a list

#2 Post by Loriel »

targetdg15 wrote:So I have been dabbling in fantasy for a month now with the HE side of IoB.
Welcome to Warhammer! I have a few questions

- Are you planning on going for tournaments or just casual hammer?
- Are you going to play with scenarios rolls?
- What point allowance games you are planning to play? 2400 pts?
- What enemy armies are you going to face regularly?
- Do you allow proxying or are you guys die hard WYSIWYGers?
- Are you planning to play MSU (multiple small unit) or bigger units?

Characters
targetdg15 wrote:I really want to use one of the dragons, but what would compliment him is a mystery to me lol.
I have personal antipathy against killy characters on big beast, but many of the high end lists tend to have Stardragon Princes riding around and doing tons of damage. I would suggest having charmed shield for cannon balls and perhaps crown of atrazar for extra protection. Starlance or some str sword is really good choice also for the Prince.

I suggest that if you are playing competetive mind set, then stay out of the Dragon Mage. It is fun model for casual gaming though.

-

Especially if you have are playing 2400+ games Battle Standard Bearer becomes really important to have around. Some people even say that BSB is mandatory.

Eventhough I haven't played with Loremaster of hoeth too often looking at many battle reports he seems to be really good choice to have around. My personal issue with him is that I like to have better dispelling ability than +2 with book of hoeth. And having both loremaster and archmage in 2400 (which is my preferred game size)

Core
your core choices are pretty solid. With 30+ x spearmen (full command) 180 archers with musician and reavers you can easily full fill 2400 points core requirement. Many people tend to use Silverhelms as they are core nowadays. I personally think that they are best used as small units 5-9 models 2-3 wide formation. For the time being you can easily use Dragon Princes as replacement for silver helms to test them out.

Special

You have great choices here. I have played extensively with 25 - 30 White Lions block with High Magic. I have battle blog http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=67296 . In the first post is links to battle reports from my latest games.

The only special choice that I suggest you to get is Phoenix guards to about 20 models. It is just... well I dare to say that in All Cornering sense is the best unit in 8th edition across any books.

If you are facing lot of fast elves or really aggressive dwarf player (Meaning that dwarf uses vanguards), shadow warriors are great choice to block vanguard movement.

Rare

I would suggest of getting your hands on the Frosthearth Phoenix (that is one of the best monsters in the whole game) Not because it is super killy, but because it is excellent support model that is hard for opponents to fight against.
targetdg15 wrote: I look forward to using the list I make up here in several battle reports, thanks all!
I look forward of reading those reports! Hope some of this might help your fights!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
targetdg15

#3 Post by targetdg15 »

Thank you for the welcome and a great reply!

To your questions:
-I plan on playing for purely fun, but it would be nice to have a tourney ready list
- our local game seems to be 2500 points
-most guys are pretty WYSIWYG

As I search online I see that I do actually have a good all around smattering of units. I really like the dragons, despite being told that they are only two cannons away from dust.

I really find myself going back and forth between a cav heavy list or foot infantry. I'm down with the caledor theme but I feel like a massive block of white lions is hard to pass up lol.
targetdg15

#4 Post by targetdg15 »

Here's a first draft

Note: it's not meant to win tournaments, but be fun and keep me in the game!

Lords:
Prince on a star dragon
Dragon armor
Dragonhelm
Talisman of preservation
Ring of khaine

Heroes:

Dragon Mage
Dragon armor
Enchanted shield
Dawnstone
Gem of sunfire

Noble (goes with DP)
Bearded steed
Armor of caledor
Shield

Core

14 archers
5 reavers
28 seaguard

Special
6 dragon princes FC
7 dragon princes FC (noble)
-banner of the world dragon

Rare
2 bolt throwers
--------------------------------------------------

The idea is to go full into the refused flank tactic. Core to soften and play defense while the cav and Prince go for the throat. Dragon Mage to support where needed.
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

targetdg15 wrote:Prince on a star dragon
Dragon armor
Dragonhelm
Talisman of preservation
Ring of khaine

Dragon helm to get 2+ armor save is fine. If you are facing armies with cannons charmed shield might outweight this choice 10 to 1 ;) You should absolutely give him shield and at least lance. I would leave ring of fury out of the prince and give him some other weapon instead. Main reason here is that your star dragon should see close combat as soon as possible. Best case scenario on Turn 1, but usually by turn 2.
targetdg15 wrote:Noble (goes with DP)
Bearded steed
Armor of caledor
Shield
Now you have one point sink here. You can have the same effect that Armor of Caledor gives with 40 points less. Just buy the noble Dragon Armor and he is 2+ armor save with 6+ ward and 2+ ward against flaming. Armor of Caledor is only "barely" worth the points on foot character or if you wish to have 2h weapon without suffering a loss of armor during mounted, or are mounted on non barded mounts that will be only worth 3+ armor save (and incase you are dismounted by mount being dead which only applies to monster mounts or assault buildings when cavalry actually dismounts also then Armor of Caledor can be worth it) In short words take the armor of and buy dragon armor instead.

Secondly if nothing else I suggest to add Lance to him (or even star lance) Other choices to take is Great Weapon or Halberd, but I would still suggest for lance.

Thirdly I would suggest making him a BSB

fourth, if you would give him the fury ring, succesfull cast on it would increase the dragon princes ward to 5+ against mundane attacks.
targetdg15 wrote:Dragon Mage
Dragon armor
Enchanted shield
Dawnstone
Gem of sunfire
I would suggest making him level 2. Atm you have only two spells to cast and other being flaming sword of rhuin and other soul quench. On good roll you get cascading fire-cloak that will help you grind your way against weaker enemies or fulminating flame cage that helps tons against bigger infantries. Other choices I would just simple turn to fireball.

the real problem I have with Dragon Mage is that he is character that doesn't really want to go in CC (ws4, nothing special) I don't understand why didn't they make it to noble statline. that would make him much more appealing to send in combats. And he is riding a monster that wants to eat down enemies. Second problem is that if you are using him as fireball tosser, he cannot usually do enough damage by that way. Perhaps your way of making him more durable for CC is good way enough. I actually never considered that using Flaming Sword of Rhuin and Gem of Sunfire he could do tremendous ammount of damage. As the mounts attacks turns in to flaming also. and breath weapon can be really powerfull with possible +2 to wound. I missreaded the Gem of Sunfire at first. You need to have flaming attacks in order to get the +1.
targetdg15 wrote:-banner of the world dragon
2+ ward vs magical is just amazing. It is so amazing that people tend to forget that Dragons are stubborn nearby, so when you have double dragons don't forget this neat bonus as it might give you the needed staying power!

-------

If you are facing deep huge infantry blocks your list will have hard time. Those dragons will easily grind some lowly undeads / skavens etc. down, but without really getting past steadfast you are seeing too many rounds of combat against wall of hard to break enemies. Usually this ends up in situation where the dragon investment doesn't generate enough victory points
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
targetdg15

#6 Post by targetdg15 »

Advice well taken!

Everything is the same except for lords and heroes

Lords:

Prince on moon dragon
Heavy armor
Lion cloak