2400 - Uncomped advice requested

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Motley

2400 - Uncomped advice requested

#1 Post by Motley »

Hi, I am trying to come up with a list that would be fun to play and contain a bit of everything. I have been procrastinating on painting for way too long now and want to get on with an army!

This is what I have so far:

Prince: Giant Blade; Enchanted Shield; Talisman of Endurance; dragon armour; Elven Steed 275
Loremaster Of Hoeth: Shield Of The Merwyrm; Sword of Anti-heroes; Book Of Hoeth 330
25.25%

Noble: Banner Of The World Dragon; Lance (mounted only); heavy armour; shield; Battle Standard; Elven Steed 167
Mage: Dispel Scroll; High Magic 110
12%

13 Silver Helms: shields; champion; Standard Bearer; musician 329
5 Ellyrian Reavers: musician 90
5 Ellyrian Reavers: musician 90
10 Archers 100
24.4%

22 Phoenix Guard: Razor Standard; Keeper of the Flame; Musician; Standard Bearer 405
17%

1 Great Eagle 50
Frostheart Phoenix 240
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 70
21%

== 2396

It is kind of based on what models I have but I do have bait more flexibility if there is anything obviously wrong with it.
Ladril Caledor

Re: 2400 - Uncomped advice requested

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Looks pretty good, but I would get barding on the Prince and Noble steeds and dragon armour on the noble. Also you can't have Banner of the World Dragon and a battle standard on your BSB, it's one or the other.
Motley

#3 Post by Motley »

Ladril Caledor wrote:Looks pretty good, but I would get barding on the Prince and Noble steeds and dragon armour on the noble. Also you can't have Banner of the World Dragon and a battle standard on your BSB, it's one or the other.
Thanks.

Does he not have to be upgraded to the BSB in order to take a magic standard? I thought the did.

EDIT: And thanks for catching the barding being missed.
Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Yeah he does. Seems you have upgraded your noble to a Bsb for 25 and then added a magic banner for 50, this is fine.

I originally thought you had both a regular army standard (for rerolls) and a magic bannner on the same noble, this would be illegal.
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

Few notes, questions and thoughs. Nothing to be taken too seriously :P

Are you planning on using reavers for double flee shenanigans or in general do you declare flee reactions often. Reason why I ask is that musician is rather useless for reavers unless you need it for increased rally checks.

I have personal antipathy against Magical standards on BSB as our standard bearer is too easily killed. Thus I usually try to add something to increase its surviability. I do understand the idea of having Banner of the World dragon on silver helm unit.

Secondly on the BSB note I try to avoid situation where I place BSB and General in the same unit. That makes the unit so much greater target.

One thing what I pondered here is the Sword of anti heroes on loremaster. You are prolly using loremaster and mage inside the phoenix guard for niche 3+ ward ;) but what is the target that your phoenix guard would end up fighting? Does it have enough characters to justify the cost of sword compared to simple sword of might. Or better yet would the steeded characters have better use for it since they can choose their combat far more easily thus gaining more advance from it.

Do you wish to have LD10 from the prince or simple to have better statlined fighter?

I feel bad for our eagles in 8th. Double eagle was staple choice for me and I couldn't imagine going battle without them. But now Reavers has pretty much replaced them for me (main reason is Core tax). Well perhaps I should try to use them again.

One thing that I pondered also is that now you have "cheap" core hammer with heavy character support and elite Anvil. Have you considered that you would have Elite Hammer (dragon princes) and cheap core anvil spearmen? With dragon princes you can place banner of the world dragon inside the unit. Loremaster is something that will fit inside spearmen like a glove. With standard of dicipline you get ld 10 inspriing prencence (if you really want to have ld 10 without a prince), earthblood is really good spell for them. I do get the principle idea that silver helms are pretty much "wound" markers for characters to get those ogre bladed monsters in close combat
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Ladril Caledor wrote:I originally thought you had both a regular army standard (for rerolls) and a magic bannner on the same noble, this would be illegal.
What?

You pay for the BSB upgrade. This gives you the BSB rerolls. You can then also give them a magic banner with whatever effects and still get the BSB rerolls. I"m not sure what you are trying to say.
Motley

#7 Post by Motley »

Loriel wrote:Few notes, questions and thoughs. Nothing to be taken too seriously :P

Are you planning on using reavers for double flee shenanigans or in general do you declare flee reactions often. Reason why I ask is that musician is rather useless for reavers unless you need it for increased rally checks.

I have personal antipathy against Magical standards on BSB as our standard bearer is too easily killed. Thus I usually try to add something to increase its surviability. I do understand the idea of having Banner of the World dragon on silver helm unit.

Secondly on the BSB note I try to avoid situation where I place BSB and General in the same unit. That makes the unit so much greater target.

One thing what I pondered here is the Sword of anti heroes on loremaster. You are prolly using loremaster and mage inside the phoenix guard for niche 3+ ward ;) but what is the target that your phoenix guard would end up fighting? Does it have enough characters to justify the cost of sword compared to simple sword of might. Or better yet would the steeded characters have better use for it since they can choose their combat far more easily thus gaining more advance from it.

Do you wish to have LD10 from the prince or simple to have better statlined fighter?

I feel bad for our eagles in 8th. Double eagle was staple choice for me and I couldn't imagine going battle without them. But now Reavers has pretty much replaced them for me (main reason is Core tax). Well perhaps I should try to use them again.

One thing that I pondered also is that now you have "cheap" core hammer with heavy character support and elite Anvil. Have you considered that you would have Elite Hammer (dragon princes) and cheap core anvil spearmen? With dragon princes you can place banner of the world dragon inside the unit. Loremaster is something that will fit inside spearmen like a glove. With standard of dicipline you get ld 10 inspriing prencence (if you really want to have ld 10 without a prince), earthblood is really good spell for them. I do get the principle idea that silver helms are pretty much "wound" markers for characters to get those ogre bladed monsters in close combat
Thanks for the thoughts. I am still very much playing with the training wheels on experience wise. Mostly I am playing against Brets and at lower point levels I have just been getting stomped by them.

Regarding the reavers and the muso - I was adding it for the extra plus one to rally. So yes I wanted the option to be able to try and set up a double flee if possible. Mostly though the idea of two for redundancy in Treb hunting.

The Cav bus is designed pretty much as you surmise. I wanted the banner protection on the helms and that is the only way. Although I do wonder if it is needed with having no Mage in there. The Prince is really just about begin a better fighter.

The Loremaster load out is entirely subject to change. Anti-heros seems a nice surprise if the Bret Character wall charges in, it is relatively useless against non character units though so may be a cheaper sword would help, I like the idea of the Merwyrm shield on the lore master though. The idea of the Level 1 High Mage was to take Drain magic and the scroll to be an anti magic character. The Ward buff would be a little useful on the PG too even if the effects of the spell are not needed.

I like the idea of an nice cheap eagle to run interference if the Reavers are busy taking care of war-machines. Or even helping with that if they are well protected from ground troops.

The Anvil-Hammer load out is really due to the models I have available. I have 13 SH and 30 PG in grey plastic and don't want to buy anything more at the moment. It is not so much a worry about 9th, I am quiet excited for those rumours, more that I already have so much I need to paint!

So that is some of my thinking in this list. I was also wondering about a bog standard 10 SH and no chars in it, then spending those points elsewhere. or even 2*5 or 2*6 to use as support out counter charge units. But on that first round of combat is out of the way Str 3 doesn't really seem to cut it.
Ladril Caledor

#8 Post by Ladril Caledor »

John Rainbow wrote:
Ladril Caledor wrote:I originally thought you had both a regular army standard (for rerolls) and a magic bannner on the same noble, this would be illegal.
What?

You pay for the BSB upgrade. This gives you the BSB rerolls. You can then also give them a magic banner with whatever effects and still get the BSB rerolls. I"m not sure what you are trying to say.
I thought the magic standard replaced the battle standard, and you lose hold your ground? I've always played it that way. However after careful examination of the rules I think I may have been wrong the whole time! *mind blown*