2400 ETC List - Feedback welcome

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

BGNLordHelmut

2400 ETC List - Feedback welcome

#1 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Looking at running this list in an upcoming tournament. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Anointed on Frostheart
Giant Blade, Ench Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Other Tricksters Shard

Lvl 4 High Magic
Dispel scroll, Ring of Fury, elven steed

Noble
Star Lance, great weapon, heavy armor, shield, steed, barding

Noble (BSB)
Dragonhelm, Obsidian Amulet, lance, heavy armor, shield, steed, barding

Noble
Ogre Blade, Ironcurse Icon, heavy armor, shield, steed, barding

14 Silver Helms
Shields, Full command

22 Archers
Full command

3x Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers

Frostheart Phoenix

2x Great Eagles
Visit me (Mut) at [url=http://www.nerdhammer.net/]Nerdhammer: Just a bunch of losers playing with dolls[/url]
Andrei_Warrior

Re: 2400 ETC List - Feedback welcome

#2 Post by Andrei_Warrior »

My preferred load out to the anointed is as follows: giant blade, dawnstone, enchanted shield, potion of fools. also the silver helms seem EXTREMELY vulnerable without the BotWD. I just think that there are way too many points invested in a unit that have close to no magic protection.
Breezly

#3 Post by Breezly »

My annointed has the same loadout as Andrei's...it's really, really good. I don't play a bus, but if I did I would bring a BotWD.

--Breezly
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

Yeah why no BotWD? You can fit it in the list under the comp AFAIK right?
VonSchlosser

#5 Post by VonSchlosser »

I think the list is ilegal ?
Total of 5 mounted charecters = 1 choice
Two frosthearts = 2 choices
Boltthrowers = 1 choice
2.ed flying large target of str 6 or above = 2 choices.

So you are over the allowed pool choice.
BGNLordHelmut

#6 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

This was for draft 2.5.1, so it was still legal (not sure for draft 3).

Pretty sure this is legal:

1 choice for > 1200 pts of lords/heroes
2 choices, one each for frosthearts
1 choice for > 3 mounted characters
1 choice for Bolt Throwers

You listed: 2.ed flying large target of str 6 or above = 2 choices.

That doesn't apply here; it's each flying S6 or greater large target AFTER the second, and I'm only running two.
Visit me (Mut) at [url=http://www.nerdhammer.net/]Nerdhammer: Just a bunch of losers playing with dolls[/url]
BGNLordHelmut

#7 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

John Rainbow wrote:Yeah why no BotWD? You can fit it in the list under the comp AFAIK right?
Nope, can't fit it. It's three friggin choices, which means to get it I have to drop BTs and bring the characters down to 1200 pts or less, making the bus very ineffective at killing after the charge, and forcing me to use blocks of sisters rather than BTs. That negatively affects board control and doesn't help against armor much, and I'm definitely predicting plenty of empire since empire light council wasn't comped much at all.

I feel like the MR plus High magic's ward buff will provide enough protection for the helms, who should be on the aggressive side in the first place and in combat quickly. In my humble opinion, at three choices, BotWD is just comped right out of effective bus lists entirely (unless you drop the Anointed and go cav prince with more killing gear, but I dislike how many eggs are in that basket).
Last edited by BGNLordHelmut on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGNLordHelmut

#8 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Breezly wrote:My annointed has the same loadout as Andrei's...it's really, really good. I don't play a bus, but if I did I would bring a BotWD.

--Breezly
I like that loadout, I may give it a try next time. I read this after I submitted my list :)
VonSchlosser

#9 Post by VonSchlosser »

You are right. I totaly misread that sentence.
Then its back to the drawing board for me to redo my ovn etc list. :)
xxcoincoinxx

#10 Post by xxcoincoinxx »

Hi, sorry for my newbie question, but when you play you're cav bus, you play it in rank of 6 right ? or did I miss something ?

As I understand you're list, you play you're 3 Noble + FC in the first rank and the archmage in the 2nd Rank right ?
Andros123

#11 Post by Andros123 »

I think it is a very nice list. You need to be very careful not to throw a lot of dice in the magic phase, because a miscast in the silver helms, would be a complete disaster.

About the annointed, as people have mentioned, the regular build is usually giant blade, ench shield and downstone. You don't need that dragon bane gem, because the annointed has a 2+ ward against magic anyway. I assumed you took it, because of the lore of metal.

As I said, I think it looks really exciting - are you planning on doing any battlereporting on the tournament?

Good luck!
BGNLordHelmut

#12 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Andros123 wrote:I think it is a very nice list. You need to be very careful not to throw a lot of dice in the magic phase, because a miscast in the silver helms, would be a complete disaster.

About the annointed, as people have mentioned, the regular build is usually giant blade, ench shield and downstone. You don't need that dragon bane gem, because the annointed has a 2+ ward against magic anyway. I assumed you took it, because of the lore of metal.

As I said, I think it looks really exciting - are you planning on doing any battlereporting on the tournament?

Good luck!
Yea, being wary in the magic phase is definitely a nuance of this list I'll need to pay close attention to. And yes, that's why I took the dragonbane gem, though I probably should've went with the other kit that was suggested here, but can't send my list back in with revisions as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the feedback, and yes I plan on doing battle reports for all 5 games!
Andros123

#13 Post by Andros123 »

Okay great, I'll look forward to read them!
Hi, sorry for my newbie question, but when you play you're cav bus, you play it in rank of 6 right ? or did I miss something ?

As I understand you're list, you play you're 3 Noble + FC in the first rank and the archmage in the 2nd Rank right ?
I don't think he will. He will most likely have his 2 fighty nobels in the front rank and then the BSB and lvl. 4 in the second. When combat happens he can always "make way" with his BSB to the front rank, if he needs those extra attacks.
BGNLordHelmut

#14 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Andros123 wrote:Okay great, I'll look forward to read them!

I don't think he will. He will most likely have his 2 fighty nobels in the front rank and then the BSB and lvl. 4 in the second. When combat happens he can always "make way" with his BSB to the front rank, if he needs those extra attacks.

Andros is right, but it will depend on the matchup too. There many be some instances where I want to start the game 6-wide, but majority of the time that BSB will be sitting in the 2nd rank for protection and can jump up when necessary.
Marinero

#15 Post by Marinero »

I know that points are always tight, but I think you should find a way to squeeze dragon armour for your nobles. You do not have the BotWD in your bus, so starting of with a 6++ will at least give you the chance to almost always have the 3 nobles with 5++, save for the worst magic phases. This I think can be the difference for their survival.

Also I am not sure how the star lance/GW combo pans out, and whether you can use the GW at all.

Finally, I have not calculated your points, but it seems to me that you could fit one of the nobles with the charmed shield and another with the Golden crown - which will also go a long way to enhance their survivability.

M
pk-ng

#16 Post by pk-ng »

Marinero wrote:I know that points are always tight, but I think you should find a way to squeeze dragon armour for your nobles. You do not have the BotWD in your bus, so starting of with a 6++ will at least give you the chance to almost always have the 3 nobles with 5++, save for the worst magic phases. This I think can be the difference for their survival.

Also I am not sure how the star lance/GW combo pans out, and whether you can use the GW at all.

Finally, I have not calculated your points, but it seems to me that you could fit one of the nobles with the charmed shield and another with the Golden crown - which will also go a long way to enhance their survivability.

M
+1
And you can use the STar LAnce / GW combo as it's specified in in the book
BGNLordHelmut wrote:
Andros123 wrote:Okay great, I'll look forward to read them!

Andros is right, but it will depend on the matchup too. There many be some instances where I want to start the game 6-wide, but majority of the time that BSB will be sitting in the 2nd rank for protection and can jump up when necessary.
I see zero reason why you would start 6 wide. It's 5 wide or less. Silver Helms are the deliver system. Your characters should have a) better saves b) more wounds therefore soaking up the damage you get so that your helms can keep their ranks as much as possible.
Andros123 wrote: About the annointed, as people have mentioned, the regular build is usually giant blade, ench shield and downstone. You don't need that dragon bane gem, because the annointed has a 2+ ward against magic anyway. I assumed you took it, because of the lore of metal.
I would assume Skullcannon
BGNLordHelmut wrote: In my humble opinion, at three choices, BotWD is just comped right out of effective bus lists entirely (unless you drop the Anointed and go cav prince with more killing gear, but I dislike how many eggs are in that basket).
Then you shouldn't have this
Noble (BSB)
Dragonhelm, Obsidian Amulet, lance, heavy armor, shield, steed, barding

This is eggs in 1 basket. I just need to cannon off or death snipe this character and there goes your MR and your re-rolls.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
BGNLordHelmut

#17 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

@pk-ng:

Already at 2400 pts; I'd have to cut points elsewhere to get Dragon Armor, Charmed Shield and Golden Crown on any of the nobles. Could drop an eagle to do so.

Agreed on 5-wide majority of the time. I can only think of one or two instances where I'd want to start wider than that to maximize attacks, but 99% of the time it's 5-wide deployment.

Lore of Metal, Skullcannons, runed Dwarf cannons are all reasons for taking Dragonbane.

I agree about the BSB with the Obsidian Amulet being a bit too "eggs in one basket". It would've been more prudent to put the MR on another noble, so that's a good observation.