first ever tournament

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

lee...101

first ever tournament

#1 Post by lee...101 »

Hello everyone

Well after about fifteen years out of the hobby, myself an a group of late thirty somethings have decide to convert a friends garage into a gaming room and get back into the game that we all used to love, after getting in touch with a local gaming community we have all signed up for a weekend tournament at the end of march, so hopefully enough time to get to grips with these new rules (played about six games of this edition).
Ive made a list based on the models I have access to, its a 2400 competition, with no special characters and no end of times ( not to sure what this is as I cant find it in the big rule book).

Lords 551pts

Prince. Steed. H-armour. Giant blade. Dawnstone. Enchanted shield
Archmage. Steed. Level four. Book of Hoeth (dont know which lore yet)

Hero

Noble. BSB. Dragon armour. B-steed. Lance. Shield. Banner world dragon.
Noble. Dragon armour. B-steed. Shield. Star lance.
Noble. Dragon armour. B-steed. Shield. Lance. Obsidian amulet
Mage. Steed. Dispel scroll level 1 high magic

Core 613pts
12x silver helms. Full command. Shields
5x silver helms. Standard bearer. Shields
5x reavers. Spears an bows.
10x archers. Standard bearer

Special
7x Dragon princes. Full command. Drakemaster has reaver bow an potion of strength

Rare
Frostphoenix
2x eagle claw bolt thrower

Total 2400

The plan is to have the prince, BSB an level 4 in with the large helms, am I right in thinking the level 4 can go in the second row as the front is full of charactrrs and command group?
Star lance noble, obsidian noble and level one all with dragon princes, if mage gets a cheap spell off unit gains plus one ward for combat and shooting an the amulet means I could get 3+ ward against magic.

Any hints and tips would be greatly recieved
Andros123

Re: first ever tournament

#2 Post by Andros123 »

Hello Lee.

Welcome back in the hobby first of all :wink: .

End times is a new series of models and books, which Games workshop recently started to sell. The idea is basically that the whole warhammer world as we know it, is about to change. All elves are joining each other, all undead (tomb kings and VC) are joining each other and so forth. Most tournament doesn't include End times characters as they are simply to crazy and powerful.

Anyway to your list!
I think it looks very solid, especially because of your high mobility. However I have a few comments:
1. Giving your drakemaster the reaverbow + potion of strenght seems a bit odd to me. He can't fire, if you choose to march with your unit and he is only BS 4. So usually you have long range, multi shot and have been moving, which makes him hit on 6's..

2. Yes it is correct that you can push your characters to the second row if the front row is occupied with other characters and command group. However be aware, that if your opponent kills your champion, you have to go to the front rank.

3. If I were to go with this setup, I think I would just give the world banner to the dragon princes and invest in some protection for your BSB instead. Then you can put most of your characters in the dragon princes, and have one hell of a tough unit.
However if you proceed with this setup, I think giving the Dragon princes the razor banner is a good idea.
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Also the Drakemaster can only take magic weapons and armour, he can't take a potion of strength.

I agree with Andros, put the Banner of the World Dragon on your Dragon Princes and put the characters there. Then you could drop the Obsidian Amulet (it won't do anything as you already have a 2+ magic ward) and put the Reaver Bow and Potion of Strength on that Noble instead, it will be much more effective with his high ballistic skill.
Last edited by Ladril Caledor on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Potion of Strength is illegal here because the DP champ can only select magic weapons\armour.

Edit: ninja'd!
DarkJoo77

#5 Post by DarkJoo77 »

I think Lore of Shadow on the Level 4 is probably your best bet.

I like Banner of the World Dragon on the Dragon Princes. It lets you put items on your BSB, which really helps.

You may want to put Dragon Armor on your General. He has a 1+ reroll, but no ward. The Dragon armor will take care of that.

You can find the points for above by dropping a Noble.
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Overall a good list
Some charges I would suggest

Prince on Barded Steed: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, HA, Shield
Lvl 4 Life on Steed: Book of Hoeth, Crown Of Command

BSB on Barded Steed: Banner of the World Dragon, Lance, DA, Shield
Noble on Barded Steed: Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, The Other Trickster's Shard.
Lvl 1 Death on Steed: Scroll

13x Silver Helms: Full command, Shields
5x Silver Helms: Musician, Shields (If you have scenarios in the tournament then keep the Standard.)
5x Reavers: Spears and Bows
5x Reavers: Spears and Bows

Special
5x Dragon princes: Banner

Rare
Frostphoenix
3x eagle claw bolt thrower

So overall I disagree with putting the banner on the Dragon Prince because they are such few numbers your characters lose 'look out sir' after 2 DP die. Only option is to drop some RBTs or the Frostie for more bodies.

With this setup your
Prince gets 1+/1+/2++ against fire
A Noble with 1+/6++/2++ against fire
Silver Helms are stubborn due to CoC and you are not restricted keeping your helms 5 wide (you can always go 3 wide to minimise incoming damage (Prince, Star Lance Noble, Champion [make sure the Star Lance noble is always next to the Prince]).
More RBT = better. Can take out chaff / redirectors or armour.
The DP is just a support role so not a big point sink if you need to use them to redirect or sacrificial unit.

Alternatively you can try Lvl 4 Death / Lvl 1 High.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
lee...101

#7 Post by lee...101 »

Hey guys

Firstly thanks to everyone for all the feedback, especially about my illegal dragon prince captain. I played an epic four games of warhammer yesterday and loved every minute of being back into the hobby, first game I kept my list dropped all the points from the captains items an my opponent gave mea five point overspend an suggested I get an eagle for re directing along with the reavers, I don't really understand this technique yet, but have seen on the forum there is some basic guidelines in how it works, I agree my prince needs a combat ward, he died way to easily. But two big combat blocks worked really well.
My other three games I took everyones advice, got rid of the magic resistance noble and got an extra bolt thrower. Three was excellent, I think I maybe have undervalued them, I also reduced the dragon princes but they didn't seem as impressive, maybe im just still learning this edition to get the most out of these small cavalry units.

Thanks to everyone once again
Ladril Caledor

#8 Post by Ladril Caledor »

You might have seen this already lee101, but if not, here's an article on tips and tricks for Great Eagles that includes some detail and diagrams on re-directing, among other things
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33028
lee...101

#9 Post by lee...101 »

Just a quick query guys, been chopping and changing my lists thanks to all the great advise, I have dropped the reaver bow and the illegal potion on the drake master if I was to give him the spell shield does the magic resistance affect the whole dragon prince unit, or just the champion as he is not technically a character?

Cheers in advance with any help
Ladril Caledor

#10 Post by Ladril Caledor »

It's debatable whether the spellshield gives the bonus to the rest of the unit. By the absolute letter of the rules it would be no, as the drakemaster is not a character.

But i don't think that is what GW intended, and I think most players would be happy for you to use the spellshield to give the bonus to the unit. Best to check with your opponent before the game.