Alarielle and Banner of Avelon

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Danidude

Alarielle and Banner of Avelon

#1 Post by Danidude »

So I thought I might try to create an army list that would use these tho tings from the High Elf book, any ideas how to create that list?

My thoughts so far is this:

Lords (590pts)

Alarielle the Radiant, Life

Prince
Armour of Silvered Steel, Dawnstone, Sword of Anti-Heroes

Heroes (311pts)

Mage
High Magic(?), Level 2
Khaine's Ring of Fury,Dispel Scroll

Noble
Heavy Armor, Shield
Battle Standard, Banner of Avelorn

Core (618pts)

5x Ellyrian Reaver, Mu
Spears and Bows

5x Ellyrian Reaver, Mu
Spears and Bows

8x Silver Helm, Mu, Std
Shield

8x Silver Helm, MU, Std
Shield

Special (741pts)

20xPhoenix Guard FC
Razor Standard

22xWhite Lions of Chrace FC
Banner of the World Dragon

Rare (140pts)
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
5xSisters of Avelorn

Total: 2400

Place all the characers in the WL's with the BSB and lvl2 in second rank. This way Alarielle may have +8 to cast on Life magic, aslo the lvl 2 may boost ward save if needed or remove buffs with dispel magic. Thats my thoughts.
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
lomarot

Re: Alarielle and Banner of Avelon

#2 Post by lomarot »

I have a similar unit of WL just I have a Alarielle life + Level 4 mage with Book of Hoet and Shadow, because I am planning to run a Shooting/magic Heavy list like this

3 x 15 archers
2 x 5 reavers
25 WL + Botwd
4 x RBT
1 Frost Phoenix
2 x eagles

The only problem I may see is that you put your very fragile mages in your best Close Combat unit so you have to plan how to use it.

My plan is use 2 eagles + 2 reavers to delay as much as I can enemy deathstar, softening it with magic and 45 s3 arrows + 24 s 4 arrows in combo with withering. The turn before he charges me I will reform the WL unit in 2x frontage so my chars will always be in second rank and hold forever, the Frost Phoenix is there to counter charge the enemy and the 3 archers units can always be "MindRazored" for a nasty flank charge. As far as I protect my flank Alarielle will be safety in second rank spamming +8 throne + regrouth + 4 Toughness spells.

So in my case the WL + BOTWD is more a spell lounching platform for IF dwellers & mindrazor/pit of shade , than a true combat action unit, of course it can safely vaporize most of the enemy units but when you face some real blender be prepared to reform in such a way that in turn 2 (after killing you champion) Alarielle will not be moved in first raw and killed by that Vampire / Chaos / fellblade lord
Danidude

#3 Post by Danidude »

I see here your comming from, my plan was to put the prince and Alarielle or the BSB in the front rank depending on what they are faceing. I would say they are not fragile when Alarielle restores 1 wound each round and also 1 wound for each spell she casts. With an +8 to cast she mosly only need 2-3 dice, also with the lvl 2 high mage, I can get a 4++ vs non magical and BofWD gives +2 vs magical.

With that they can surive a lot, I did try her out with high magic in swordmasters unit. She only died in one game, because they failed an LD test and got overrun.

I like your idea for your build, however the number of dice needed for magic in your build might to much.
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
lomarot

#4 Post by lomarot »

yes I do not plan to cast all the dices, but my enemy will have hard time deciding what to dispell, Throne of Vine or Withering , dwellers or mindrazor. Lv4 Shadow is too important for a Shooty army.
Danidude

#5 Post by Danidude »

I got to play today with this list with some altirations.

I dropped Champion in the PGs and added one to the SH as I dropped a rider from that unit. Also removed 4 WL's, this gave me another Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower.

I played vs Vampire counts that feilded a black knight buss with 3 characters and a terrorgeist. It tok me all 6 turns to kill that terrorgeist with shooting and 2 lucky wounds form 3 sisters in CC with it.
At the end of the battle all that was left from his buss was his general, I did froget Banner of the World Dragon a couble of times during that combat but I pulled a win out anyways and I am happy with that. So I think I will keep testing with this list and bring more solid battlereports laiter as I did not get any pictures this time.
Danidude

#6 Post by Danidude »

So I have tested the list a bit, and I find it interesting and fun to play. However I wanted to change it somewhat. So what do people to think of the new version compaired to the old one?

Lords (590pts)

Alarielle the Radiant, Life

Prince
Armour of Silvered Steel, Dawnstone, Sword of Anti-Heroes

Heroes (335pts)

Mage
High Magic(High Magic), Level 2
Khaine's Ring of Fury,Dispel Scroll

Lotheren Sea Helm
Light Armor, Shield
Battle Standard, Banner of Avelorn

Core (600pts)

12xArchers, Mu

5x Ellyrian Reaver, Mu
Spears and Bows

5x Ellyrian Reaver, Mu
Spears and Bows

10x Silver Helm, FC
Shield

Special (418pts)

26xWhite Lions of Chrace FC
Banner of the World Dragon

Rare (450pts)
3xEagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frost Phoenix

Total: 2393

This way I utilise the the lore atribute with the phoenix and keep it alive vs almost anything(Might make it T10 vs Canons and Stone Trowers)
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#7 Post by Ferny »

I don't think the banner of Avelon brings much to this list. Things it's great at:
1. making Allarielle a better Light/Life caster (especially as she's a Lv4 who can't take the book) - tick
2. making Lv1/2's equivalent to Lv5-6 casters for (some) spells - no tick

In your list you only have a single low level caster, and they're not sporting light or life. I also don't think Life is best served for Alarielle, even with the banner and even with a plan to keep frosty alive.

1. The default spell is already superceded by her ability, meaning it only helps for lifebloom (which she already kinda has)
2. Throne helps avoid miscasts, but with BotWD only the very worst effects aren't already mitigated against.
3. It has a pants MM and Dwellers. Dwellers is of course ace, but doesn't benefit from the banner (and you might not get it). The MM is pants and doesn't benefit from it either. That leaves you with shield of thorns (marginal IMO), regrowth (nice) and flesh to stone (nice). For my money there's not enough cool stuff in there, especially given a (for you) useless sig, and the nice stuff is largely defensive.

I think if you are after a defensive lore, High will serve you better. Straight off you're a Lv5 caster rather than 4(+4). Every spell you get off boosts the unit-wide ward save to 4+ then 3+. There's apotheosis to heal frosty or characters if her lifebloom-type ability isn't sufficient. And it has a very decent MM as sig, some wide-ranging use spells and flames to challenge dwellers as the Lv6 spell. It doesn't benefit from the banner, but I would argue that just means you don't need the banner for this build.

IMO the banner comes into its own for a light build, especially if you then get a second Lv1-2 caster to spam the spells (even with +5 a lv1 is solid). It also gives you a caddy for not just scroll but also forbidden rod. And with 2 mages, alarielle and a BSB in the bunker, you can easily hide the models you're scared to get in combat onto the second rank.

I'm not too sure what the role of the prince is in a WL unit either? They're already bringing lots of high S attacks - yes he can re-roll his, but so what? He brings Ld10, but so does Allarielle. 2+/2+/5++(boostable) is pretty tanky IMO, but is that enough of a reason to have him in?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
theviking

#8 Post by theviking »

I see the prince as a challenge monkey, to keep characters on large bases from killing the mages. He also pushes one more character into the second rank. A noble would serve for the tank, but doesn't have enough killing power to get out of the challenge once accepted.
Danidude

#9 Post by Danidude »

The idea of this list is to use the banner of Avelon so dropping it it would not make sense. On a side note I would probebly not bring it otherwise.

The lvl 2 high mage is for the MM if needed or other sitovational spells that I might need and dispel scroll, chaning this guy to life I do not se much point in doing, however chaning him to light might not be a bad idea for the buffs. I have found him lacking in the magic phase, I would mainly use him to buff ward saves and remove buffs with dispell magic.

1. I would not change for the defult spell in this list as you have mentioned the reason why.
2. It also buffs my spells, with an +8 cast most opponents would have to use lots of dispell dice to remove it. And it is this spell you sould dispell vs a life caster as he would just 6 dice the next one.
3. This is why I have the second mage with Ring and High Magic, by chaning it to light I have a fire MM that might also remove regen for the ring. I usaly do not need dwellers as the unit can wreak face alone, only in the case of faceing other high elves it usefull to reduce that BotWD unit.

I have used Alarielle with High before and found it was a good combo, however since I am going to test out the banner it is a waste of points to have here cast high magic spells. Other then that I would go High every time with her or light in a light counsil army. Now I could change her to light in my list, now what would that change to my army? I can bubble up on some spells and get str5 Banishment. I could even drop the price as I might as well have all the characters in the archerbunker. This opens up a few points, and I can change the list to an light counsil then, I might try this for another time :)

The prince have few jobs, be the general(makes alarielle a less temting target) but that is not important. The other ones are to push the banner and the lvl2 mage to second rank in the unit so they can not be hit in CC. Also I thought it might be fluffy to have a prince as Tyrion on foot as Alarielles champion in the army, he is also a character killer for those character stars out there.

So thanks for the feedback, I think the list might benefit from a lvl2 light more then high.
Avicii

#10 Post by Avicii »

I think Alarielle backed by the banner is best used with Light spam. Brewmaster D has a great write up using both of these for his 'Coven of Light'. I used a list very similar to his at an uncomped tournament recently. I understand from reading that you are tilting in a different direction to the usual light spam that high elves so commonly love to use.
Here is my list anyway as it might help open up some ideas for you?

Alarielle the radiant
BSB, Banner of Avelorn, D armour, GW
Lv2, Light, DIspel Scroll, Ring of Fury
Lv1, Light, Forbidden Rod

30 Archers, Muso and Std
5 Reavers b&s
5 Reavers b&s
5 Reavers b&s

20 WLs FC BoWD
14 PGs FC razor std
5 sisters
5 Sisters
RBT
RBT
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#11 Post by Ferny »

Avicii, do you have a blog for your Alarielle stuff? I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm interest in your set up. I wrote a couple of lists last night that were very similar but I'm curious about the differences :).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Avicii

#12 Post by Avicii »

Hey Ferny, I am sorry I have not had the time lately to continue my army blog, so unfortunately that means I have not blogged anything with this list. http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... pic=165481 this is a link to my latest tournament which I managed to place 6th out of 26 with the Alarielle list. If you have a current thread for your list I could help discuss tactics with you on the list?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]