I can't make up my mind on unit size.

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Drakova

I can't make up my mind on unit size.

#1 Post by Drakova »

2 units of 24 like 8 by 4 or 1 large horde of 50? Should I split the lions up into 2 units?

2500 High Elves

LORDS AND HEROES 605

Teclis 450
-Scroll of Hoeth
-Staff of Lileath
-Crown of Saphery
-Lore of Life: Flesh to Stone
-Lore of Light: Speed of Battle
-Lore of Death: Doom and Darkness
-Lore of Fire: Flaming Sword of Ruin
-Lore of Heavens: Harmonic Convergence
-Lore of Shadow: Okkam's Mindrazor
-Lore of Beast: The Amber Spear
-Lore of Metal: Final Tansmutation

Noble (Stryfe) 155
-battle standard bearer
-heavy armor
-lion cloak
-halbred
-Charmed Shield
-Reaver Bow
-Potion of Strength

CORE 625

22 Archers 250
-full command

15 Silver Helms 375
-full command

SPECIAL 730

50 White Lions 730
-full command
-Banner of the World Dragon

RARE 480

Frostheart Phoenix 240

Frostheart Phoenix 240

1 Great Eagle 60
-swiftsense
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: I can't make up my mind on unit size.

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I would split them up. With only 3 units (and 3 fliers) on the table, a big horde of WL will be redirected for a big part of the game while your opponent deals with the rest of the army. So unless you run into another deathstar type army, the list will have a tough time doing something.

This topic probably should be in the army list forum. I'll move it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Breaking up a deathstar is always a applaudable - even if only for the greater good ;) Have you considered breaking up the silverhelms into units of 5 (or at least 5+10) to give you more board control?
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Drakova

#4 Post by Drakova »

I think it's the meta at the store I play at but.... People love big units. They will use 4 demigryph and they call it chaff. I find I can't fight anything in opponents army with 5 silver helms. Nothing at all. I use to run 3 units of 5 silver helms with a champion for six str 5 attacks on the charge.

Stuff like 50 executioners and 30 inner circle knights, dwellers and final trans in every army as well. People be like my chaff... (some 200+ point unit) a Frostheart Phoenix they call chaff... there is nothing for 5 silver helms to kill basically.

15 silver helms with 1 buff from Teclis seems to deal with any "chaff" out there. The hard part is avoiding being counter charged. I do run doom and darkness so I don't always have to break their steadfast if they are on a far flank without BSB.

The last army I fought had 10 demi grpyhs 2 stanks and all his core in inner circle knights with a bsb and arch lector in buss formation to break steadfast. There was a level 4 life wizard too to heal the stanks and demis but that was pretty much his whole army. (I hate his list so much but it's hard countered by hellabron at least.)

The list are extremely cheesy. Stuff like 50 phoenix guard mindrazor and 2 frosty's. The meta is so boring where I play.
tshe900013

#5 Post by tshe900013 »

Hello,

After looking at your list - my first thought was to go 10 + 5 on the silverhelms and 10 + 12 on the archers.

Gives you more options to shoot at different things and more flexibility in attacking.

For the 5 man unit of silverhelms - what you want is flank charges. They are not going to barrel into the front of a unit and win on their own.

You can also run them in front rank 2, 2nd rank 2, 3rd rank 1 for an inverse wedge. That is 5 STR5 re-roll attacks in a 50mm wide base. If you can squeeze 1 more silverhelm out for the points - that would be 6 attacks (don't do this against bolt thrower / cannon ball armies).

Just a thought - use them to get around and hit in the flank, 18" march move let's you go faaaar.

Regards,
todd
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

If people are using extremely big units breaking up the Silver Helms looks like an even better idea. Use the extra drops to control the deployment phase and chaff up those death stars to expose them to your main hammer(s). 5 SH helms are not meant to kill anything worthwhile, but then again, 15 are not much of a combat threat either (without a pack of heroes to help them out).
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Drakova

#7 Post by Drakova »

Can't shrink the archers much because 70% of the games that is where Mr T hides. Most games I drop all the 2 dice buffs on the silver helms and charge them into something expensive.

Ill experiment with shrinking the archers a little bit and getting 3 units of 6 cav in 2 by 6 formation or something.
Asmodian

#8 Post by Asmodian »

I think it's the meta at the store I play at but.... People love big units. They will use 4 demigryph and they call it chaff
Intresting meta you have there.
Previous posts are very wise - try to have many fast, maneuvrable chaff/redirector units. This way, their big units will be put into disadvantage quite soon. Many battles are won in deployment.
Can't shrink the archers much because 70% of the games that is where Mr T hides
Very risky. Watch out for some fast and killy skirmishers(Vargheists for egs), cause you risking precious character in weak unit.

With this list - you risking to be shooted to pieces. You have 2 worthy targets that must be in combat quickly(Phoenixes) or they die. You have no real shooting, except that 22 archers and spells from Teclis to threaten any warmachine. As you posted in different threads, that you played against Empire and Dwarfs, maxing out units isnt good option.
People love big units
But the battlefield does not love them :wink: