Flying Lion list 2400

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Joelatron

Flying Lion list 2400

#1 Post by Joelatron »

I've been thinking about how the 2 new books (Ogres, and what we know about the VC's) will affect the set up High Elf armies. There have been 3 major changes to the meta that need serious consideration.

1) The mournfang calv. Monsterous calv with 2+ as and crazy number of attacks that roll over units.
2) etheral characters/units. More so than before.
3) hell heart...all of a sudden that 700-800pt investment in magic is looking rather vulnerable...

So I looked at what we do and came up with the following:

Prince on Eagle: DA, Ench Shield, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Protection
BSB: Armour of Silvered Steel, GW
Noble: GW, AoCaledor, Amulet of light
lvl2: Scroll (light)

2x 25 Spears: FC
10 Archers
2x25 White Lions: FC
7 Swordmasters
2 Eagles

So my thinking is, is that I need to counter the above + all the other things to counter.

Justifications:

Prince on Eagle: no question there. Plays the calv role with a magic weapon and is still i8 s6 when caught in the ASL bubble. In fact his job is to hunt that monster! Only real vulnerability is storm banner and cannons. Hopefully the 4+ ward helps + can be in the lore of light pha’s bubble (if get spell). He needs to get to combat ASAP vs artillery heavy armies!

Amulet of light on noble: This gives me flexibility. Having the amulet of light on a fighty noble means that I place the amulet where it is most useful to me. With 8 drops before characters, I should have an idea where the ethereal calv etc are going to be, meaning my noble joins the relevant unit to counter. If on a unit champ, I run the risk of having to place the “magical” unit before the ethereal are placed, giving the tactical advantage away. + it is not “protected” by 2 wounds and 2+ as. Also not on BSB so BSB can be where most useful.

Lvl2 with light and scroll: Same dispelling power of a lvl3, but only a 155 point investment. Helf infantry don’t need to buff/hex to excel at chopping stuff up and games can be won without mindrazor. Limiting the magic makes me less reliant on it (hello hellheart) and gives me spare points to focus elsewhere + forces me to aim for favourable match ups and combo charges etc. Lore of light gives me a flaming magic missile (that becomes 2d6 vs undead...) and access to other useful buffs/more magic missiles.

2x25 Whitelions and spears: Once again it comes down to not needing magic to work. Phoenix guard needs the shadow lore to hurt stuff-whitelions just need to get into combat. 2 units gives me 2 mini hordes that work alongside the spears/2 nobles on foot to maximise the s6 where it is needed + 2 steadfast blocks to break units. FC is to get the banners, swift reform, and champ so prince can support charge and not get challenged out. The 2 whitelion units also mean I can trap the mournfang calv. Their speed means they can just avoid 1 unit, but 2 units means I WILL catch them + stubborn to allow support charges to turn up. Also my good ‘ol fav opponent WoC don’t like white lions hehe.

Archers, swordmasters, eagles: Basically the chaff. Archers will kill the odd thing. Im not too worried if the swordmasters die, so long it is doing something useful (suicide charge on BSB/lvl4 etc). Eagles give me redirectors.

No Flame banner: unit with this will be rendered useless by everyone’s friend the dragonhelm on flying fighty, unkillable guy (empire peg captain, Delf stubborn pendant Pegasus, my Prince, flying WoC guys etc). + Multiple s6 gets past regen and have sig lore of light spell.

So any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated. Has anyone else decided to re-visit their “standard lists” in light of the changing meta?