1500 8th edition

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Farseer

1500 8th edition

#1 Post by Farseer »

Hello, this is my first attempt at a HE army list. I have some models but want to start collecting them properly and want to aim for a fun and reasonably competative 1500 list as something to work towards.

Heroes:
Noble- great weapon, heavy armour, reaver bow (137) - prob in spearman unit
Mage- level 2, scroll, jewlel of dusk, silver wand (180)

Core:
20 Seaguard- shileds, full command, lion banner (310)
20 Spears- full command (205)

Special:
14 white lions- champion+musicion[point filler] (228)
White lion chariot (140)
5 Dragon princes (150)

Rare
Eagle (50)
RBT (100)

Total: 1500
th0r

Re: 1500 8th edition

#2 Post by th0r »

You can only take one arcane item including the dispel scroll in 8th edition. Musicians play a much bigger part in 8th edition so I would definitly take them and not just use them to eat up left over points. Other then that it looks like a solid list, just keep in mind that due to two ranks fighting your noble will have a lot of attacks coming at him, so it might be worth giving him armour of caledor over the reaver bow.
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/th0r3389/High%20Elves%20Painting%20Log/guard.jpg[/img]
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I agree that your noble is probably going to bite the dust since he won't have the ability to remove attackers from base contact anymore. You'll have a decent amount of shooting, so drop the reaver bow and give him the Armour of Caledor as th0r suggested. Then make him a BSB. To do that you may need a few points so I would drop the jewel of dusk. You're one mage is going to get 2D6 power dice, so he should be ok with that amount. Average of 7 dice a turn should let you cast at least 2 spells per turn.

If you're worried about losing effectiveness in the shooting phase because of dropping the reaver bow, turn those spears into 2 units of 10 archers for around the same points. 20 more shots and great range from the long bows.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Farseer

#4 Post by Farseer »

Thanks very much for the help. Hmm i liked the reaver bow but i see your point about him dying horrificly. Would it be worth changing the concept of him compltly and haveing a mounted BSB instead? Some mobile support and then i can get some archers instead of the spears.
th0r

#5 Post by th0r »

Just remember that if he's on a different base size then the unit he only gets LOS on a 4+ instead of 2+. Since your DP might be used as flankers I think it would be better to have your bsb with your main battle line, and thus on foot.
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/th0r3389/High%20Elves%20Painting%20Log/guard.jpg[/img]
Farseer

#6 Post by Farseer »

Ok well how about this:
Noble (85)
-BSB (25)
-GW (8)
-armour of caledor(25)
-longbow (10)

Mage (100)
-level 2 (35)
-scroll (20)
-silver wand (10)

with rest of lis the same this comes to 1501! Which is so annoying. I guess i would have to do something lame like switch the great weapon for a halberd
i can give him a longbow right? it seems an aweful lot of stuff for a poor elf to juggle...
th0r

#7 Post by th0r »

A dispel scroll now counts as an arcane item. Also a longbow is a terrible waste of 10 points. With the downgrade of fear/terror, I think the lion banner is more of a nicety item now. But generally speaking it is a good list and very close to what I would field.

Mage 145pts
-Level 2, Silver Wand

Noble 143pts
-GW, Armor of Caledor, BSB

20x Sea Guard 295
-Shields, FC, Banner of Eternal Flame (flaming attacks to ignore monsters with regen)

20x Spearmen 205pts
-FC

14x White Lions 228pts
-Champion, Musician

White Lion Chariot 140pts

5x Dragon Princes 150pts

Great Eagle 50pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100pts

Total: 1456pts

With the points left over you can up the size of your units or add upgrades as needed.
Bolt Thrower

#8 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I agree about the long bow. It's not necessary on your BSB. Just run him with the GW and Armour of Caledor.
Farseer

#9 Post by Farseer »

Thanks for all your help- so the bsb goes with the spearmen? I could then use them a bit more aggresivly i guess. I could give him a horse and have him seperate but you say no? I understand what you say about the LoS rule but i was quite looking forward to making a mounted bsb modle as i think it will be more useful as my army grows (i may be wrong here? are you guys generally taking them on foot now even in 2000+ games?)
thakns again
Bolt Thrower

#10 Post by Bolt Thrower »

There seems to be some concern over the look out sir rule but I'm still going to run him mounted. Give him the helm of fortune, dragon armour, shield with a barded steed for the 1+ re-rollable save. Maybe I need to get out more, but I rarely have to take a look out sir, except when battling dwarves. When I do, it's typically a breath weapon in which case I want to fail it because the dragon armour protects him. That said, many new template spells for 8th edition could change my way of thinking, but I'm sticking to it for now. I enjoy being able to also give him the amulet of light so that he and the unit he's with will have magical attacks. This means that I can have some flexibility in getting him to different units if they need magical attacks. Also in the new edition, I believe that the BSB will allow rerolls on psych tests too. To me, this is another reason to have him mounted to help guarantee he is in the right place at the right time.

It's all conjecture at this point, though, so I'd say model a BSB of each type and experiment. In my opinion, the experimenting is part of the fun! :D
Eldareth

#11 Post by Eldareth »

You don't get any look out sir roll unless you are the same type (infantry, mounted, etc) as the unit you're in.