ETC Restrictions and the Points Denial Play Style

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Grenic

ETC Restrictions and the Points Denial Play Style

#1 Post by Grenic »

Given what appears to a renewed interest in restricting High Elf list options even further then they currently are (the Star Dragons days may be numbered), will we find that a “points denial” type of list will become the dominant style for High Elf under the ETC 2015 restrictions?

My back of the envelop list shows that it could be possible to get almost 55% to 65% of a list’s points into a single unit.

Is this where we are headed under ETC?

Also, as points denial is not a style I focus on using, how would others go about using such a style when facing ETC type lists?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: ETC Restrictions and the Points Denial Play Style

#2 Post by Curu Olannon »

Nothing new here, this has always been the play for HE. Last year it was the deathtrain. The year before, the WL BOTWD bunker. The year before that, the old book and multiple blocks with Loremaster's Cloak etc.

The days of the Star Dragon are far from over, on the contrary it is one of our best options in the current meta.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Irishranger

#3 Post by Irishranger »

You can work it so there is about 75% in one silver helm deathstar with botwd. Not sure why you'd want to. Played a game vs lizards who'd done something like that with TG. Killed everything else and sniped a few skink priests out for a 16-4. 18-2 if he didnt IF a comet and searing doom as I went in on the TG with everything on turn 5. This is what tends to happen to one unit builds. Also dwellers and final trans are so common that the can lose super big.

Scenarios do help vs deathstars as B&G really hurts them. The reason we seem to be pushed to build deathstars it that wonderful item know as Botwd. This isnt ETC but just how the army works. I know of two builds that work with out it and the PG deathstar is just a bad version of the WL one.
Grenic

#4 Post by Grenic »

Curu Olannon wrote:The days of the Star Dragon are far from over, on the contrary it is one of our best options in the current meta.
Reading comments on the Draft 2.51 thread, it sounds like the AR.com may be thinking of restricting the Star Dragon further.
Grenic

#5 Post by Grenic »

Irishranger wrote:You can work it so there is about 75% in one silver helm deathstar with botwd. Not sure why you'd want to. Played a game vs lizards who'd done something like that with TG. Killed everything else and sniped a few skink priests out for a 16-4. 18-2 if he didnt IF a comet and searing doom as I went in on the TG with everything on turn 5. This is what tends to happen to one unit builds. Also dwellers and final trans are so common that the can lose super big.
The question would be can you design a list that takes advantage of the look-out-sir house rules while at the same time getting a big percentage in the unit.
Irishranger wrote:Scenarios do help vs deathstars as B&G really hurts them. The reason we seem to be pushed to build deathstars it that wonderful item know as Botwd. This isnt ETC but just how the army works. I know of two builds that work with out it and the PG deathstar is just a bad version of the WL one.
While we may usually view points denial and deathstars as being synonymous with each other, but are they? I was thinking about focusing on the Lore of Life and looking to add a few expensive characters and making the denial unit as close to 450 points as possible with the highest number of effective wounds (number of pre-save wounds needed to eliminate the unit).
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Grenic wrote:
Irishranger wrote:You can work it so there is about 75% in one silver helm deathstar with botwd. Not sure why you'd want to. Played a game vs lizards who'd done something like that with TG. Killed everything else and sniped a few skink priests out for a 16-4. 18-2 if he didnt IF a comet and searing doom as I went in on the TG with everything on turn 5. This is what tends to happen to one unit builds. Also dwellers and final trans are so common that the can lose super big.
The question would be can you design a list that takes advantage of the look-out-sir house rules while at the same time getting a big percentage in the unit.
Take less characters?
Spread your characters out?

Started to tinker with some HE list and honestly speaking I don't see the big issue.
This is just like normal comp'ing for any tournament just that ETC maybe more restrict.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support