Dwarves just...just like everywhere.

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Morgen

Dwarves just...just like everywhere.

#1 Post by Morgen »

Yeah so it seems like the meta currently for where I play has shaken down so about 50% of the players here are playing dwarves.

So at the moment my high elves are getting slaughtered by cannons, guns and wave after wave of T4+ foot troops with good armor saves. Lead by nearly indestructible lords (Thanks End Times..) and turning my usually ineffective magic phases into an even more worthless portion of the game.

Sooo... what is a high elf player to do to strike fear into the effectively stubborn hearts of these pesky little beardlings?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Dwarves just...just like everywhere.

#2 Post by Curu Olannon »

Points level and comp?
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
effreem

#3 Post by effreem »

In my experience (only 2 dwarf players here but several games against each of them)...

Arcane unforging helps A LOT!!! Dont let him rune of forget this spell!!!!!
Arcane unforging their standard bearer. (that +2 dispel standard rune sucks!)
Arcane unforging their lord gets rid of the T10 armor!
Note that when applying runes to dwarfs its ONLY to:
hand weapons (not great weapons!)
Heavy Armor
Talisman
Standard
Warmachine (Yes, arcane unforging can destroy a war machine. Not because of the wound...it destroys the weapon. At least how we play it.)

Rune'd warmachines count as magical attacks (BOTWD,) flaming runes count as fire and magical (fireborn.)

Also, dwarves have high leadersheep (better than elves,) I recommend not counting on winning through combat res alone. They need to be killed to the point they lose stubborn.

Gyro's are scary but I dont remember why...I nuke them pretty quick.

Use lots of small attacks (or ranged/magic) to kill the guys with the better parry save.
Use our great weapon advantage to kill his great weapon guys (be careful, I think some of them get 2 attacks each!)
Use his slow units to screen your units from the organ guns, they use BS to hit so any unit in between will provide cover. Park flying creatures next to his blocks so a cannon cant hit them as easily (if 1 inch away from a dwarf unit in line with cannon, then he has to get 0-4 range roll to hit you (on a dragon/phoenix facing the cannon.)
Sinsigel

#4 Post by Sinsigel »

Huge block of white lions with Allarielle and other sorts of combat characters to keep her at second rank.

As a player who also has a dwarf army, deathstars are something dwarfs have trouble dealing with.
With the exception of gyrocopters, dwarfs lack mobility seriously.
This often leads to units being reactive towards enemy units.
Dwarfs can hardly avoid deathstars with mobility(like the cavalry HE army I run nowadays),
and can only stand up against them while shooting warmachines.

Even with the abundance of stubborn units in the army,
ASL means many dwarfs will perish before showing their true combat prowess.
And then the stubborn block usually dies to one man(dwarf) before doing any significant damage.

The problem gets worse, particularly if the deathstar has BotWD and solid ward save which could be boosted.
Blocking paths with gyrocopters until killing all units bar the deathstar is the best I could hope for.

Just make sure you're not up against anyone using Lore of Life when using lists like this.
Vinke

#5 Post by Vinke »

The one I fight the most out of my friends is a Dwarf player considered to be a very good player in this country (by other players + tournaments)

my advise lots and lots of swordmasters and heavens archmage.

Heavens lvl 4 is imo the best way to take out the gyros which is the biggest problems with dwarfs, combine this with some bolt throwers and hopefully you can kill them off before they can do any huge chunk of damage.

As for Swordmasters in my most recent list I use a unit of 14 with Botwd (14 bcuz of Swedish comp restricting 15) with a seahelm in it and one more unit of 24Swordmasters with razor standard and a lvl 2high mage in it (with the +5wardsave item).

As long as you can take care of the copters and get the Swordmasters into action you will completely butcher the dwarfs.
Shadeseraph

#6 Post by Shadeseraph »

Sinsigel wrote:Just make sure you're not up against anyone using Lore of Life when using lists like this.
Actually, any avoidance list would give that list a hard time. Footslogging deathstars aren't all that good currently, but certainly do work wonders against dwarfs.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Morgen

#7 Post by Morgen »

Thank you for the help so far folks. I don't know if any of it will work at the moment though. :(
Curu Olannon wrote:Points level and comp?
We're usually at 1500 to 2500 points. No comp stuff, just regular BRB.

Magic won't work. I've been doing that for over a year now and it's far too unreliable even without dwarves in the equation.

Horde of white lions could work...not sure I've got 30+ of them though. I do have a lot of ground troops though. Swordmasters could be tried, at least they get a 6+ ward versus some of that shooting.
pk-ng

#8 Post by pk-ng »

Usually WM has runes which means your WL with BotWD have a 2+ ward save against them so your 30+ WL should be intact by the time they get into contact.
I like the Star Dragon List with Level 4 High when vs'ing Dwarves
YOLO!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Deamon

#9 Post by Deamon »

White Lions will win combat against Dwarf warriors and Longbeards (it will take several turns to take them down though) but they would get wrecked by a large block of hammerers. Our only hope against hammerer are Pheonix Guard.
Galdor

#10 Post by Galdor »

Phoenix guard are brilliant against Dwarfs! My regular dwarf opponent really fears them. Their ward save makes makes them very durable allowing them to make it through a lot of shooting and gyro templates. Buffing them to 3++ with high magic makes them extremely hard to kill.

I find high magic to be great against dwarfs too. Fiery convocation is nasty for their large elite infantry blocks and arcane unforging is very handy vs a dwarf lord or bsb.

Our bolt throwers can be useful for taking down a gyro or 2 but if he has several you may need some small units of cavalry or something to charge them down.