Tactics for WoC game appreciated

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Timharper

Tactics for WoC game appreciated

#1 Post by Timharper »

I'm playing in the 3rd place playoff for my gaming club tournament agains Warriors of Chaos this weekend, an army that I have only ever played once against a relative novice, so I don't feel I got a good idea of how they play or how I should play them. I obviously want to do as well as I can, but would appreciate thoughts on how best to manage a list which looks like it could hold a few problems for me. My list (standard star dragon / silver helm bus) and his are as follows:

High Elves

Prince on Star Dragon (Other Tricksters Shard, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, Star Lance)
Level 4 Archmage (High) with Dispel Scroll and Crown of Command (Barded Steed)
Noble with Ogre Blade (Barded Steed)
BSB with Banner of the World Dragong (Barded Steed, Lance)

17 Silver Helms (FC, Shields)
2 x 5 Reavers (Bows, Muso)
Frostheart
4 x RBT
2 x Eagle

Chaos

Level 4 Daemon Prince (Slanesh, Lore of Shadow)
Festus the Leechlord
BSB with Talisman of Preservation

2 x Chariot of Nurgle
18 Warriors of Nurgle (Halberds, FC) with Banner of Swiftness
Chimera
2 x 3 Skullcrushers
5 Hellstriders of Slanesh
5 Marauder Horsemen

My thoughts currently are to use single shots on my bolt throwers early on to take out his Daemon Prince, or if the shot isn't on, his skullcrushers. I thought my Frostheart and Dragon would clear up his chaff if possible (chariots, fast cav etc). Not entirely sure how to deal with Chimera or Skullcrushers though short of just avoiding them as much as I can, and I had thought of using arcane unforging to deal with Festus if I get it (he only has one magic item that buffs his unit, so i can get rid of that he loses a lot of his value).

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated - hope this is OK to post, never really done anything like this (new year desire to increase my presence on these forums at least - really starting to get back into Warhammer!)
jonboyo

Re: Tactics for WoC game appreciated

#2 Post by jonboyo »

Id take some sort of flame attack just to negate Chimera's regen. Maybe squeeze some sisters in there for that job.

Other than that it doesn't look like you've got a lot to fear. Your army looks like it want to get in fast and do damage. His army doesn't say that. Your 4 bolt throwers can mop up his chaff with multi rounds and take out the skull crushers with ease. Your dragon and probably even the phoenix will be able to defeat a Slaanesh DP without many problems.

I guess you want High magic for the 'walk between worlds'? Well Metal will ruin skull crushers and warriors. There's actually no need to get in fast as he has no ranged threats. If there is no objective to rush to then just hold back and hammer him with ranged then clean up with your melee. IMO you will flatten this Chaos Army without breaking a sweat.
Timharper

#3 Post by Timharper »

Thanks for the reassurance - unfortunately I can't change my list as it was set for the tournament months ago, otherwise I would definitely go for the more of metal, even if it was just on a scroll caddy!

I would have thought sending my dragon against the dp was a bit risky, hence why I thought of shooting it, but I will look into the maths, especially if I'm forcing recollection on ward saves.
jonboyo

#4 Post by jonboyo »

Well I guess you still have some fire but its unreliable (dragon breath and possibly convocation if roll it). How did you plan to beat other armies that use regen? That Festus could be a problem.

DP's can be scary if they have particular war gear but it's Nurgle DP's that are the most deadly. The Star Dragon has the edge in combat but yes bolt throwers will do well. Even your BoTWD unit will do well as DP has magical attacks I believe. Biggest threat is Pit of Shades landing on your dragon.
Timharper

#5 Post by Timharper »

I agree that the lack of something to deal with regen is a bit of an issue, but its never been something that I have really missed in the past; a lot of players at my gaming club don't have regen and I have found that the main way of dealing with it is to use Sisters, but I value the tactical versatility of a Bolt Thrower over the situational benefit that sisters give me.

All Daemons do have magical attacks, so maybe the SH bus is the way to go in combat, but will see how it turns out.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

If you can take a wound off with RBT then charge the DP with Dragonlord, you should kill him first round.
Timharper

#7 Post by Timharper »

That was what I was thinking - I worked out my Lord alone should do 2 Wounds and he shouldn't kill me therefore my dragon would finish him off. Alternatively, if I could get my Phoenix in on a double charge (very situational I agree) he would ASL so I would be almost guaranteed to kill him...

I guess to some extent there is no point speculating, but having vague plans in place is always nice.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, if your opponent's switched on Tim, he won't allow the charge.

But you can use that to keep his DP under control.
janohirmas

#9 Post by janohirmas »

Ok,

I am not sure if you put what you know about the others list or what it actually has. In general the DP has thick skin (5+), fly, and a 2++ against fire. Therefore, RBT single shots are good against him, but you will need something else. I would recommend arcane unforging against him, just to wound easily, cause the deamon will not have many items. If he had the item against fire, then it can be removed and then your prince on dragon has chances. Slaneesh deamons are brutal on combat.

Use the signature spell on the max difficulty over the warriors. If you take down the core, it becomes a bit unstable.

The manticore should fall under the dragon.

The chariots will have difficulties against your frostheart.

Ur bus should support the phoenix, but be careful, cause as soon as you start fighting against the DP, you will be on serious ground. If the DP charges your bus, the Prince should come to rescue ASAP.
2x3 skullcrushers!!!! That is though. I would recommend single bolts, generally they fall.

In general, your list will have some difficulties given your concentration of the army, but with some luck it can be handled.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

How would Unforging Dragonbane Gem help the Dragon?
janohirmas

#11 Post by janohirmas »

SpellArcher wrote:How would Unforging Dragonbane Gem help the Dragon?
Totally right! I don't know why I thought the dragon had flaming attacks. My mistake! :roll:
pk-ng

#12 Post by pk-ng »

You won't need worry about the regen as it's only 1 Chimera no big deal.
You actually move your Helms up to the Skullcrushers without been scared as the SC usually carry Ensorcelled blades which do magical damage which you have 2++ against.
DP as you've said counter with RBTs
His chaff definitely RBTs or your Flyers as you have the range on him
His Chim you can't really counter apart from shooting.
Never engage the block of warriors. You'll be stuck
I would suggest you need the following spells in priority Arcane Unforging, Hand of Glory, Apothesis, Walk Between the Walk / Drain Magic depending on his spells.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
janohirmas

#13 Post by janohirmas »

About the SH bus stuck with the Skullcrushers, I wouldn't do it. It is your unit, and you have little chance to actually do some damage good enough to win the combat. After, your are stuck and the CW will flank you and bye bye
Timharper

#14 Post by Timharper »

Cheers for all the advice guys - really appreciated it.

Had the game this evening and it was a resounding victory to the High Elves - although not a lot happened. He deployed all his army in one big block which meant I wasn't able to pick anything off. I took out his two units of fast cav by a combination of magic and shooting, and then my bolt throwers took down his Chimera. I had to sacrifice and Eagle and unit of Reavers to protect my bolt throwers from his chariots, allowing me to position my Phoenix to deter him from overrunning which worked. Other than that, it was me avoiding his units and him avoiding mine - I could do this more successfully as I had better magic and shooting.

The turning point was that his warriors had regen so I kept using Firey Convocation on them, and in the last turn of the game managed to kill 4 of the remaining 9 and he failed his break test twice and ran off the board, taking Festus and his BSB with him - 700 points in total.

I've unfortunately got t change my list for the tournament (today was one of two attempts I get to play test) as the comp for High Elves means that I can only have BotWD, Frosthearts or 3+ bolt throwers if I limit my list to 2,400 points rather than 2,500. I've decided to take out 2 bolt throwers and replace them with 2 units of 5 sisters, to help with regen and ensure I keep my ranged threat only slightly diminished. I felt this was better than trying to force out 100 points from elsewhere, which would probably lead me to losing a bolt thrower anyway!

Anyway, thanks for the advice - hopefully its now onward and upward for my elves!