Some clearing with the definitions

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tullarion

Re: Some clearing with the definitions

#31 Post by Tullarion »

Everything Rod said +1.

I think the infantry you have in that list is too squishy. 10 White Lions and 6 swordmasters won't do a thing. Honestly, that little infantry won't do anything in a list thats otherwise cavalry and fliers. I might even say replace all your existing infantry with sisters. At least they can reach out and touch something, plus you otherwise have no flaming in the army after the frost heart upgrade.
janohirmas

#32 Post by janohirmas »

Thank you both!! I will take it into consideration, but about the dragon princes, 2att +1 weapon skill +1Ld +1 initiave, makes it worth.
Maybe not so many, it could be that the strong one is SH and 6 DPs in 3x2 as support.

I have made 2 options:

Option 1: Small Anvil + Big Hammer

AM,lvl 4, elven steed, talisman of protection and BoH
BSB, Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, Cav. Lance, Shield, BoTWD

Prince, Barded Steed, Shield, Ogre Sword, Destiny Armour, Potion of Bravery (don't know the english name) inmune to psychology and devastating charge.

13 SH, shield, Banner and Champ. (go with AM and BSB in ranks of 5)
6 SH, shield
5x2 Ellyrian Reavers

5 Dragon Princes, Champ (go with the Prince)

Frostheart Phoenix

18 PG, Champ and Banner, with Razor Banner (ranks of 6)

9 Sisters, formation 3x3

Option 2: Big Anvil + Small Hammer (double Magic)

AM, Talisman of Protection, BoH

Loremaster, Talisman of Resistance, Ogre sword, Magic Shield (+2 AS), Dispel Scroll
BSB, Heavy Amour, Ring of Fury, Serpent Shield, Potion of Bravery

2x9 SH, shield and Champ (formation 3x3)
2x5 Ellyrian Reavers

Frostheart Phoenix

18 PG, Banner and Champ, Razor Banner (go with Loremaster and BSB)
formation (5x4)

17 WL, Banner and Champ, BoTWD (go with AM)
formation (6x3)

Tell me what do you think.
Tullarion

#33 Post by Tullarion »

The problem with dragon princes is you're paying for 2 attacks that they don't get in the second rank. When I run them, I don't go more than five, because a second rank just isn't cost effective (that said, I love my five elf unit with star lance and whatever magic banner... they are incredible).

Busses are really only done with silver helms, since they have martial prowess and don't lose attacks in back ranks.
janohirmas

#34 Post by janohirmas »

WOW!!!!

I never saw that!!! That is actually really good!!
Shadeseraph

#35 Post by Shadeseraph »

To be fair, it's not so much the attacks, but that buses are wounds to protect characters. The hitting power comes from characters. Silver Helms give you almost the same kind of protection than dragon princes (only lose 1 point of WS, fireborn and a 6+ ward save, with fireborn being the most important part), but come from core points. That's a HUGE deal, as our core is not that good (so this gives them a role) and lists with character buses tend to be very point intensive in the Lord, Hero and Rare departments. That leaves very little space for Special, which is usually filled with some kind of Anvil for the most part (Razor banner phoenix guard being the most usually seen anvil). Being 6 pts cheaper is also a big deal.

However, some people -do- take dragon princes as the bus. The main advantage being that the banner of the world dragon can be placed on the unit, rather than on a BSB, making it much more survibable. 2++ against fire is great, and the 6++ helps if you are aiming to abuse High Magic to buff wards. But this leaves 25% of your points stranded in core, potentially without much use, other than winning the chaff war (which is arguably very important, but you don't usually need that many points).
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]