what to look out for as a high elf

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SquidVicious405

what to look out for as a high elf

#1 Post by SquidVicious405 »

I'm new to whfb. I'm getting ready to go to a tournament for my first game ever because currently i live in a small town and i don't know if anybody plays warhammer here. So, I'm building a compendium of possible threats to my elves. what would really help is what ws, bs, s, t to watch out for for each of my units listed below. also anything else you guys think might help.

loremaster
noble
ellyrian reavers
silver helms
spearmen
swordmasters
rbt
eagle
John Rainbow

Re: what to look out for as a high elf

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm going to be honest, I think this is an impossible task. There are just too many units out there to list something like this in detail. I would recommend reading some guides on high elf units and how they play (search here or on the internet at large) and see what you turn up. So much of what you ask depends on what you expect to face and such. With you never having gone to a tourny in your area before this is tough to talk about obviously.

Instead I would just concentrate on having a good time and learning these things as you go. I think you'll have a great time at the tournament. I did at my first event and I didn't do very well but had a blast anyway. I say go, keep an open mind and see what happens :)

You will learn so much more about what you can and can't do with your elves by playing them rather than trying to get advice about situations that might never crop up for you. Also, be sure to let us know how you get on and good luck.
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

Also, if you're looking for more specific advice it helps to post your list in detail i.e. how big are the units, what items do they have, do they have command, etc.
SquidVicious405

#4 Post by SquidVicious405 »

You're probably right. I love number crunching, but probably do need to just show up with an open mind to have fun. I realize I'll probably loose, but I know I'll have a great time
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Do you have the army book and rulebook?
SquidVicious405

#6 Post by SquidVicious405 »

Yes, I have read both. I am currently re-reading the bsb
ArcaneSnow

#7 Post by ArcaneSnow »

If you're a new player, there is a lot more important things to think about before thinking about what to look out for in an opponents army. The first thing you should do is just keep playing game after game to familiarize yourself with all the little rules.

This game is built on the fact that anything can kill anything. So I recommend learning playstyles as supposed to knowing all the counter units.
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
John Rainbow

#8 Post by John Rainbow »

ArcaneSnow wrote:If you're a new player, there is a lot more important things to think about before thinking about what to look out for in an opponents army. The first thing you should do is just keep playing game after game to familiarize yourself with all the little rules.

This game is built on the fact that anything can kill anything. So I recommend learning playstyles as supposed to knowing all the counter units.
Agreed.

As this is your first event and you've been asking a lot of rules Q's, I would focus on getting the rules down first and foremost.
matrim

#9 Post by matrim »

I am a relatively new player myself started in march this year and played most of my games at tournaments Got tabled few times but never let that take the fun away Won best sports couple times So yeah enjoy the game rest will come eventually

Having said that remember to state your intentions as you do stuff last thing you want is blocking a unit from charging but then find out it can still charge in your opponent's turn

Additionally read the thread on this forum about gamey play I think Curu started the topic it is not for you to apply but to be aware of how rules can be used by more 'experienced' players
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thinking in very general terms about threats to HE, I think the following applies:

- getting your units split up / fighting by themselves. A HE army works best when stuff works together. Once units become separated, things tend to go south fast
- high volume shooting (or any shooting really). A high point per model average, T3 and little armour means that shooting can ruin your day.
- impact hits. HE like to go first. Having high S hits strike before you hurts. Even more so because of the above mentioned high point per model
- ASF units. Same as above. HE not going first hurts.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.