New to elves and couple of ideas

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Dbunibe

New to elves and couple of ideas

#1 Post by Dbunibe »

I appologize if this has been suggested or asked before ( I did a search but found nothing) but can we run the lance formation as well as or better than bretonians?

Given our ability to fight in extra ranks & jace the luxury of rerolls via ASF how well would a unit of 9 silver helms hold up on the charge if run 3x3?

Has anyone tried this? How'd it do?

As the topic says I'm new to HE though I have other armies (empire, ogres, and VC).
Stormie

Re: New to elves and couple of ideas

#2 Post by Stormie »

They'd do decently, but lack of ranks will mean you're relying on causing wounds to win combat (which is fine), and you'll be less able to break the enemy if they have even 5 models left in one rank due to being steadfast.
Worloch

#3 Post by Worloch »

Martial Prowess on our Calvary is pretty cool, and gives us some decent options but when compared against the lance formation, it comes out as not quite as good.

Lance Formation gives a few bonuses, the first of which has already been referenced: Brets can get Rank Bonuses while only 3 wide. This means they can break steadfast potentially, and helps to boost their CR.

Secondly, all the models on the sides of the formation will count as being in btb, and as such, they get their full attacks, as do their mounts.

Still, I'm not disappointed in having Martial Prowess, and a 3x3 silver helms dart isn't a terrible idea, though I wouldn't count on it to do much besides annoy and chase off chaff.
Tethlis

#4 Post by Tethlis »

I've used Silverhelms 3x3, and it's definitely useful. My favorite application is if they're charging in alongside another big ranked unit like Phoenix Guard that negates Steadfast, or for charging units that have plenty of durability but no Static Combat Resolution like monsters and chariots. It's particularly nice when you can use the narrow frontage to sneak between enemy formations or squeeze through tight gaps, potentially breaking through into an opponent's backline. It takes a little forethought to make sure they're in the right formation beforehand, but it's a great rule for our Cavalry.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

I have used it also many times and imho its the best way to use them. I think our cavalry always needs support from infantry against ranked enemies, and playing like 15+ silver helms is so much expensive. At least in my local playing group there is so much armor negation, that large cavalries doesn't work at all. Besides, there is usually many good targets that Silver Dart can hit, and those targets can rather do squat to 2+. 3x3 makes them very mobile compared to 5wide unit. I have also used is as "character snipe" with some success. I still would say no to sniping characters with this bus considering that they are 130 SS and usually characters that are about the same cost tend to have some armor / wards / reg and throwing cavalry head on in to enemy unit may stay there on the turn it charged, but next CC will be tough. But nothing beats killing a mage by suprise.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Eltherion

#6 Post by Eltherion »

I run some of my Silver helms in units of 6 in 2 x 3 formations which are maneuverable and can hit hard on a small frontage.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650