Which magic item are you going to miss the most?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RobTheWise

Which magic item are you going to miss the most?

#1 Post by RobTheWise »

What single magic item are you going to miss most and why?

For me, I think it has to be Foe Bane . . . . . . Ok ok fine. Probably Armour of Caledor in it's old form. AoC + Dawnstone on the BSB was so great. Durable warrior, great fighter, and supported the army with his flag. This build will be missed dearly.
cptcosmic

Re: Which magic item are you going to miss the most?

#2 Post by cptcosmic »

seerstaff, helm of fortune & folariath robe.
Mast Sworder

#3 Post by Mast Sworder »

Seerstaff for sure.
Lecai

#4 Post by Lecai »

Banner of Sorcery, Ring of Corin, Annulian Crystal, Seerstaff of Saphery, Silver Wand, Jewel of the Dusk and the Sigil of Asuryan which made our Magic offense and defense GREAT.

Vambraces of Defense, Bow of the Seafarer, Helm of Fortune, old Armour of Caledor and the Talisman of Loec which made our combat characters and even unit champions GREAT.

For some strange reason I am missing Talisman of Loec the most - I loved having that cheap little trinket so much! :(

If I were given a chance to choose a single item from each section and add it to the current bunch, those items would be: Bow of the Seafarer from Weapons, Helm of Fortune from Armours, Vambraces of Defense from Talismans, Seerstaff of Saphery from Arcane (Assuming we're not in for a surprise by getting an Honours section including this ability, otherwise I'll take the 'Crystal), Banner of Sorcery from Banners and the Talisman of Loec from the Enchanted Items section.
RobTheWise

#5 Post by RobTheWise »

I did say which single item.

As in what is the one item you are going to miss the most. Frankly, of course we are going to miss all of them!
Lecai

#6 Post by Lecai »

I've already said in that post that the one I was going to miss the most was the ToL. The biggest loss is the BoS and the VoD though imo.
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

In terms of use, absolutely the Banner of Sorcery.

In terms of value and total power, the Vambraces of Defense.

In terms of uniqueness, Seer. (I refuse to call it "seerstaff", since I date back to 6th edition). Part of why I hate this 8th edition movement to standardized magic items is the loss of uniqueness, and HE is a big casualty.
The Silly Dragon

#8 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Annulian Crystal as i can no longer be that annoying in the magic phase when my opponent counts his dice i always waited until he laid them all out then reminded him to remove one it never fails to amuse to see their face sink alittle everytime. Or when i reach over and actually physically take one dice of theirs and add it to my own. Fun times.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Suriel

#9 Post by Suriel »

The Silly Dragon wrote:Annulian Crystal as i can no longer be that annoying in the magic phase when my opponent counts his dice i always waited until he laid them all out then reminded him to remove one it never fails to amuse to see their face sink alittle everytime. Or when i reach over and actually physically take one dice of theirs and add it to my own. Fun times.
+1 :)
pk-ng

#10 Post by pk-ng »

Definitely Annulian Crystal. Miss that magic D!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Caelith-Fireheart

#11 Post by Caelith-Fireheart »

For me it's the Banner of Sorcery,I don't know how I'm going to live without it :(
The only good news is I can now give my Phoenix Guard the Razor Standard :twisted:
[img]http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j408/MiniCountryman/null_zpseb9d0883.jpg[/img]
The Silly Dragon

#12 Post by The Silly Dragon »

I've used PG with Razor banner alot and i was not impressed... :cry:
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#13 Post by Curu Olannon »

Caelith-Fireheart wrote:For me it's the Banner of Sorcery,I don't know how I'm going to live without it :(
The only good news is I can now give my Phoenix Guard the Razor Standard :twisted:
Book of Hoeth lets you live without it.

I guess I`ll miss Vambraces the most, seeing as it`s ridiculous on a Prince. Annulian Crystal and Skeinsliver will also be sorely missed.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Baeronvonbleat

#14 Post by Baeronvonbleat »

In Memoriam
Remembering Those We Lost in 2013

Bow of the Seafare
Sword of Hoeth
White Sword
Blade of Sea Gold
Foe Bane
Armour of Protection
Gold Shield
Armour of the Stars
Armour of Heroes
Tremekador's Gauntlets
Helm of Fortune
Dragonscale Shield
Mask of the Merlord
Vambraces of Defense
Loremaster's Cloak
Talisman of Saphery
Sacred Incense
Guardian Phoenix
Amulet of Fire
Battle Banner
Banner of Sorcery
Banner of Balance
Banner of Arcane Protection
Lion Standard
Banner of Elyrion
Vortex Shard
Annulian Crystal
Sigil of Asuryan
Starwood Staff
Staff of Sorcery
Seerstaff
Orb of the Trickster
Gem of Sunfire
Ring of Corin
Staff of Solidity
Jewel of Dusk
Silver Wand
Null Stone
Healing Potion
Folariath's Robe
Pendant of Vengeance
Skeinsilver
Amulet of Light
Talisman of Loec

*edit* It's still a little raw, I can't pick which one hurts most. From those I hardly used, but always intended to try, to the bread and butter of a build, to those I'd add in and catch my opponent's off guard...

I remember when my Seafarer Prince with AotS took a knight charge head on, popped to the side, and skewered them with a point blank flank shot. :cry:
Last edited by Baeronvonbleat on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Rainbow

#15 Post by John Rainbow »

Mask of the Merlord...

Megalolz! :lol:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#16 Post by SpellArcher »

Lecai wrote:For some strange reason I am missing Talisman of Loec the most
Ditto.

That reason would be the ability to murder a lot of stuff in a single combat round.
NightHawk45

#17 Post by NightHawk45 »

I once fought the Empire lord that had 1+/5++. He had that weapon where it does automatic hits. I popped the Talisman of Loec on my swordmaster champion in the challenge and in response he said "I don't need your talisman to fail my saves" as his Lord died as he failed to make a singe save on his first roll...lol. I will miss that ToL.
Turion Rilyaloce

#18 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

I am going surprise here....

The Golden Shield, loved the idea of using one of our best statistics WS to defend my prince in close combat. Always laugh when opponent is going to get half his attacks through and then has to reroll the successful ones and get half of those through. Can't kill me if you can't hit me :)

Many times I hit and almost kill, he hits and gets one hit through which will usually always only get one wound out of this, and then I kill him next round. Always imagined my prince just arrogantly toying with his opponent and then killing him when he gets bored haha
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Hortennse

#19 Post by Hortennse »

1. Banner of Sorcery- By far the best thing we will lose, mainly because it wasn't a Wizard Arcana item
2. Annulian Crystal- I swear this allowed me to neutralize the majority of enemy magic phases as long as it wasn't a power army like Lizardmen or Dark Elves
3. Skeinsliver- I like to play aggressively with the high elves and Skeinsliver let me gun for the first turn, which is way better than the 2nd turn imo. But honestly with all the drops with all the flyers and stuff, Skeinsliver probably wouldnt have a place anymore. I always bought it for the +2, not to break even on the roll.
2013 Great Lakes Warhammer League Champion: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45531
http://glwl.org/glwl_hoc.pdf
2013 Screw City Grand Tournament Best General: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=55314
http://iwfb.net/screwcitygt.html
AlmightyWalrus

#20 Post by AlmightyWalrus »

Vambraces of Defence made a huge difference for the Star Dragon Prince, we'll have to see if the new support options help mitigate the loss.
Csjarrat

#21 Post by Csjarrat »

i'll miss vambraces for sure!
loss of silver wand is a bummer too. low points games made that a godsend!
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

All the lovely, fluffy ones I didn't use.

As for gamewise:
Annulina chrystal.

It made for strong magic defence with only a lvl2 mage. He was a great companion for a dragon lord.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#23 Post by Silver »

Vambraces - just take an Annointed, give him a good armor save and Dawnstone, same effect ;P Reroll and 4+ ward!

Anyway, Helm of Fortune is what I vote on.
That 1+ reroll Dragon Prince Champion was fun.
Kalandros Shadowsun
akielzather

#24 Post by akielzather »

Helm of fortune or silverwand. Can not decide

Helm was great on cav prince and wand+ring of fury made my lvls 2.s so versitile...
8th 2012 Tournie P12 W8 D0 L4
8th 2013 Tournie 7th Ed book P17 W9 D2 L6
Totals P29 W17 D2 L10

Characters.
Calidiane - Captian of the Silver Helms of Saphery. Death Knight of Hoeth.
Maulinerine - Archmage of Life.
Kavineer - Battle-standard Bearer
First Strike

#25 Post by First Strike »

Flaming banner on archers was always a must have for me. The other items moved around a bit but this one was always in my army.
I know we can still get it, just not on archers without a BSB. Now I will have to take Sisters of Avelorn to get flaming arrows.
lordoftheshadows

#26 Post by lordoftheshadows »

I will be really sorry to see the Talisman of Loec go. I really loved my Kamikaze bladelord. It was fun to play with and had many different uses. Helm of fortune will also be missed for my cavalry prince.
I a really sorry to see the Radiant Gem of Hoeth leave. I think it helped the mage knight be unique. It allowed it to be something special. And it let me get non-signature spells. Beasts, For the Win.
Words to live by:
Live for ever or die in the attempt.

The motto of my master (Zaros) may he rest in peace.
Proud member of the Mage Knight Guild.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214[/url]
The Prince of Death
Russell the Muscle

#27 Post by Russell the Muscle »

I am going to miss a few items but mostly, and in this order:

Annulian Crystal: Running star dragons with a level 2 high magic mage and this crystal really proved excellent magic defense against a lot of armies.

Silver Wand: Lvl 2 with annulian crystal OR this wand was awesome for support casting. Not to mention a level 4 with this wand was an almost guarantee to get those life spells you needed.

Vambraces of Defense: Stable go to item for nearly all Prince build's. Rerollable AS and a 4+ ward, was a bargain too.

Helm of Fortune: Noble on eagle with dragon armor, and shield, guardian phoenix. Got to love rerollable Armor saves

Talisman of Loec: The best item for my Star Dragon Prince. I never needed to worry about killing that enemy character/critter when it mattered the most.

Banner of Sorcery: Who can't love the extra power dice! I almost wonder now that it's gone, if this shouldn't be right after the Annu. Crystal in my list.

Folariaths's Robe: this was truly a loss, maybe the Lore Master will make up for this one. I almost always put this one on an Archmage list.

Honorable Mentions:
Guardian Phoenix
Foe Bane
Seer Staff: nice to pick those two crucial spells, especially running a light coven for example.
Standard of Balance (I am looking at you WoC and DE Corsairs)
Skeinsliver: my dice rolls seem to betray me and this item helped me get first turn a lot!

Well I know I will miss the lot of these items. They really assisted me in not just getting outright steamrolled by my opponents. To be honest I hope I can still compete without the "crutch" of my beloved magic items :roll: . I am sure I'll do fine, it will just take some drastic changes in my play-style :twisted:

I think the Star Dragon build will probably be even less optimal than it was before.
Last edited by Russell the Muscle on Fri May 03, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40607]The Shining Host of Saphery[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43300&p=791003#p791003]The Gloomy Host of Chaos[/url]

When talking about Dark Elves: [quote="The Silly Dragon"]Nah we High Elves are taller as we are more superior to those inbred idiots! :wink:[/quote]
Francis

#28 Post by Francis »

One more for the Talisman of Loec. For 10 points it was the most wonderful little item. And I loved to imagine my prince as a Harlequin of fantasy. The idea of the Trickster is one that appeal to me. I love Loke, Pan and Hermes almost as much as I do Athena :) .
jamierk

#29 Post by jamierk »

Radiant gem of Hoeth! So many memories...
XViper

#30 Post by XViper »

Are we getting decent stuff to replace the stuff we lost?