How do I beat Warriors and Daemons of Chaos Armies?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tarrowhin

How do I beat Warriors and Daemons of Chaos Armies?

#1 Post by Tarrowhin »

My local club is holding a 4-way match, with each army playing the others once. My High Elves will be facing Tomb Kings, Warriors of Chaos and Daemons of Chaos. I know TKs but have not yet played against Warriors or Daemons of Chaos. The Warriors guy says he might bring a complete Chaos Dwarf army. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Chaos Dwarf army!

The battles will be at 1500 points.

I've a Daemons of Chaos Army Book coming in the post but would appreciate some ideas of what I'm likely to face from the Chaos armies. What are the biggest threats and how should I deal with them?
Tarrowhin

Luck is a meeting of preparedness and opportunity
Pash

Re: How do I beat Warriors and Daemons of Chaos Armies?

#2 Post by Pash »

Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Tethlis

#3 Post by Tethlis »

I've had quite a few battles against Warriors of Chaos in recent months, and they've gone well so far. Check out my battle reports thread, and maybe it will give you some ideas:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 86&start=0
Warden of Tor Galadh
Tarrowhin

#4 Post by Tarrowhin »

Thanks Pash and Tethlis - great threads & v useful.

Anyone got anything as good vs Daemons of Chaos?
Tarrowhin

Elf_And_Safety

#5 Post by Elf_And_Safety »

The Warriors guy says he might bring a complete Chaos Dwarf army.
If he uses the new tumarkhanunananan book, don't worry, as according to my mate (who plays them) it is rubbish.

Against Daemons, just remember that his flamers will, if you allow them too, rip your swordmasters or spearmen to shreds. Remember that your Dragon princes will wade through their fire all day, so getting an early charge on them will (hopefully) allow your army to out shoot him and ensure your swordmasters can stay intact. When in combat, boosting your White lions and Swordmasters killing power is often not necessary unless he is packing a ton of Plague bearers. His bloodletters are only toughness three, with no armour save to negate. Magic against them is interesting. You could go for light to take advantage of the Lore attribute, although personally I would avoid this, as it a lore filled with often unnecessary offense boosting spells. Life is an option, primarily because that plus 4 toughness means he will need sixes to wound. Shadow is an option, because you can drop his strength, then spear-mindrazor his greater Daemon. If your army is cavalry heavy, then heavens is an option, because curse of the midnight wind will seriously hamper his killing blow. Personally, I would go for shadow, because it is more universally useful.

long winded, I know, and for that I apologize.
"I used to post original comments, but then I took an arrow to the knee." - LSV
Tethlis

#6 Post by Tethlis »

Tarrowhin wrote: Anyone got anything as good vs Daemons of Chaos?
Daemons come in a lot of shapes and sizes, but the most common configuration these days includes the following:

-Herald(s) of Khorne in Bloodletter Hordes: These will hit incredibly hard, possessing Strength 5 on the rank-and-file Daemons, and Strength 6 or 7 on the Heralds. The unit will have Hatred as well, never fun. They're also quite fast, with base Movement 5 and the ability to charge an extra D6 thanks to a banner that can be taken multiple times on multiple Bloodletter units. This is the bread-and-butter combat units of Daemon lists, but they're only Strength 3, so definitely worth shooting. If you can arrange a big combo-charge on these guys, with magic support as well, you can often do enough damage to earn VP from them. The Heralds can be vulnerable to specialized-character killers, so don't be afraid to take a swing at them if you've got a tooled-up Prince. If you eradicate the Herald, no Hatred, so well worth targeting.

-Herald of Tzeentch: This character is a level 2 who invariably has Loremaster, so expect a lot of spell variety from one of the 8th rulebook lores. Only a Level 2 though, with no great way to generate additional Power Dice, so High Elf magic defense tends to hold up well here.

-Flamers of Tzeentch: Very Tough. T4, multi-wound skirmishers with great shooting attacks and respectable combat ability also. These are well worth shooting and charging, especially (as has been mentioned) with Dragon Princes. All the Fire used by Tzeentch Daemons means Dragon Armor is exceptionally useful.

Otherwise, expect a fight with lots of killing power on both sides, and very strong elite-versus-elite profiles. If you focus on eradicating a Daemon unit completely, supporting your troops with the right augments/hexes, Daemons don't have to be a tough matchup for High Elves.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Tarrowhin

#7 Post by Tarrowhin »

Thanks Tethlis - good stuff. I'm leaning towards including the following in my 1500 point list (to take on armies of Daemons, WoC, and Tomb Kings) and would be grateful for any comments. Apologies if this should be in the Army Lists Forum but it seems a natural continuation of this thread.

Death Mage Knight with Spirit Leech. Just works so well for me that I can't leave home without him (or her, to be politically correct). Potential solution to the Herald threat, especially as Heralds have 2 wounds and Ld 8 versus my Ld 10 when casting Spirit Leech. Ditto vs the TK Hierophant, with LPs having Ld 7 and High LPs Ld 8. Prince is a lot of points at approx 230 with AoC, GW build but has won me more battles than I can shake a Great Weapon at.

Level 1 or 2 Mage with High Magic. Drain Magic will be a priority; Daemon magic looks potentially awesome!!! Considering taking Annulian Crystal to further close down enemy magic phases but suspect too many points in a 1500 game. With Prince & Mage I probably won't have enough points for a BSB. Any thoughts?

DPs x 5, worst case vanilla but with Champ, Standard and muso if points allow. Prime target will be Flamers, but useful vs any of the armies I'll be facing.

Core of LSG rather than plain spearelves for their additional shooting. They cost more points but this seems worthwhile vs all my potential opponents. Maybe a unit of 10 archers with the rest of the core points being LSG.

1 x RBT for heavily armoured targets such as Bloodcrushers and large units of Bloodletters, Maurauders etc.

1 or 2 Eagles to stick in front of steamrollers.

Swordmasters, just because :D

I haven't done the maths yet as I prefer to consider enemy strengths & weaknesses first and get a 'shape' to my lists, but I reckon the above is about 1500.

What have I missed?
Tarrowhin

janohirmas

#8 Post by janohirmas »

Guys,

I have the following problem. I play with a friend and this guy is brutal! This is his list in general:

Daemon Prince, Lvl 4 wizard
Mark of Nurgle
basically Armour 1+ and Special Save 5+

Lord of Tzeneech in Disc
Armour +1 and Special save 3+ repeating the ones.
Also, generally it comes with a brutal weapon, either many attacks or str 8.

Core:
2 units of Warriors 16, mark of nurgle, halberd and shield (for the shooting)

Special:
This can change but so far has this:
Slaneesh riders, 10

Single:
Always 3 Juggernauts
either a manticore or a hellcannon.

So, my general problems:
- I cannot destroy him by shooting
- In combat he always has advantage and with the daemon and the disc is almost impossible to flank
- His magic of Nurgle, full of toughness tests kills me.

I need some general advice against this.
pk-ng

#9 Post by pk-ng »

2 words
Light Council
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#10 Post by Domine Nox »

With new magic; lore of metal, Searing Doom spam!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Andros123

#11 Post by Andros123 »

It seems to be a fairly slow army, which you should utilize.
You should bring 4 bolt throwers against this guy always. And then maybe bring as pk-ng mentioned a light council or just go with high magic. It allows you to burn his to big blocks of warriors or use arcane unforgingto get rid of that talisman of preservation on the disc guy.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

This is truly awesome Threadomancy, resurrecting a three year-old topic!

:)

But I'll let it stand because I'm sure we want to help a brother out.

What's in your army list janohirmas?

Oh and Welcome to Ulthuan!