How is this game doing?

Discuss the game of Warhammer Online in this forum.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lord Anathir

Re: How is this game doing?

#31 Post by Lord Anathir »

i played a swordmaster and a slayer in the free trial thing and had loads and loads of fine. Such a nice change to just log on and bash some skulls, no running around looking for a fight, no infinite grinding. Just queue up for deathmatch and have some fun. Didn't find any bugs, although the game play did get repetitive after a while.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Caekface

#32 Post by Caekface »

The game had so much potential... But it strayed too far into the rigid kind of mmorpg stlye of game, where gear reigns and your class really is your class with nothing else.
I played a Witch Hunter and loved it, played for years actually. My interest faded when I realised the game was literally all about the tanks running and hitting eachother on the head, and all I was doing was running around in the background poking people with my little pointy stick.

Basically, it could have been amazing, they kind of screwed up with a bunch of things, but I have to say I still find it to be the best mmorpg out there. I would still play if I had anyone to play with.. Sadly I know no one who plays aside from guildies, and it's not quite the same thing without a real-life buddy.
Demigryphs shouldn't exist.
I try to paint. http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40152
CainTheHunter

#33 Post by CainTheHunter »

Well, I decided to give it a try last week (honestly, never been playing online games, except for CS :P) and I am running the unlimitedly restrictive :P free trial now. Shadow Warrior, Rank 10, Renown 20. Thinking whether I should get subscription for some extra goodness? Tier 1 looks quite good on Badland server, but I wonder if those all people are on free trial as well, and as soon as I get into Tier 2 overall situation on server will be worse and there won't be enough players? RvR in Nordland is actually tons of fun, but I wonder how much renown ranks I can get there without getting actual subscription...
Caekface

#34 Post by Caekface »

I recently re-enlisted for my free 14 days.. Yesterday in fact. I'm loving it right now, I find it's so much fun to play top tier once again... Only problem I'm having is that my old guild moved to GW2 and I have no one I know who I can play with :(
If you end up subbing then I may do to ^^
CainTheHunter

#35 Post by CainTheHunter »

Not sure if I will sub this - I was told that it is better now to run the endless free trial and wait for the time WAR goes F2P, which is sort of inevitable, but nobody can say when exactly this could happen. Tier 1 is pretty busy now, but I am being told that things look pretty bleak in higher Tiers in terms of players...
Caekface

#36 Post by Caekface »

High tiers are far from empty, that's for sure... But it is true that there are times when nothing happens, but that's generally around 11 in the morning on a weekday :P
I'm playing T4 on Karak Norn, and there's a bunch happening every day.. Still yet to find anyone from my old guild :/
Lord Anathir

#37 Post by Lord Anathir »

I bought a month's subscription to try it out. Really really fun game, but I have no time to play sadly because I'm not willing to give up my warhammer/painting recreation time up.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Henna of Ellyrion

#38 Post by Henna of Ellyrion »

Hi!

I started playing this game some weeks ago. My best char is tier 2 so it's a downgrade from 4.. But if you want company from a fellow HE player just send a pm :D
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#39 Post by Silver »

Ugh, reinstalled this and took the free 14 days, this game is almost dead and I think its actually worse than before even if I have a computer capable of running it at full graphics.
Pity. Uninstalled after about 2 hours play.

The potential it had was massive but the incompetence of those who made it and the "rush it out now" that EA did on it really didn't help.
Some crappy "MMOs" out there are free to play (with paid advantages) and have more players than this game.

Its really sad.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#40 Post by Luna Guardian »

Silver wrote:Ugh, reinstalled this and took the free 14 days, this game is almost dead and I think its actually worse than before even if I have a computer capable of running it at full graphics.
Pity. Uninstalled after about 2 hours play.

The potential it had was massive but the incompetence of those who made it and the "rush it out now" that EA did on it really didn't help.
Some crappy "MMOs" out there are free to play (with paid advantages) and have more players than this game.

Its really sad.
I warmly recommend Guild Wars 2 to anyone who likes MMORPGS, it's subscription-free and an awesome game :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
VJC312

#41 Post by VJC312 »

I played the game during release as a Squig Herder because my guild wanted to play destruction and I hated the class so much and would've rather been a High Elf. The game back then was a ton of fun, especially at T4. I did end up quitting and went back for the 14 day trial a few weeks ago and you would think with only 1 server to play on there would be quite a few people playing the game at T1. I only encountered a total of 15 players both Order and Destruction during the 2 or 3 days I played and I had a bad feeling the game was dead. Really sad because I enjoy the Warhammer world and sad to see the game in its current state... hopefully another developer down the line can pull off a Warhammer Fantasy MMO, but that might never happen...
thedanish

#42 Post by thedanish »

I too played at release. I started with an Engineer but found a love for the Warrior Priest mechanics. Seriously, the WP is one of the best MMO classes I've ever played. It's a shame the game is dead - the PvP was fantastic. EA/Mythic could have had a reasonably successful game if they'd switched to a fully F2P model early enough, but it's far too late now.

I second GW2. It's a great buy-to-play MMO with a lot of replayability, good PvP and fun PvE. It's not too much of a timesink either, and spending real cash in the store only nets you cosmetics, in-game gold and minor gameplay boosts (EXP and karma boosters), but even those are just candy since it's so easy to level without them. It's definitely a well-designed, streamlined MMO for the casual player. Arena Net's experience shines.